Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

heat fumes, fuel grade...simple questions!

carnewbiee
10-02-2004, 08:29 PM
I just bought a 1996 Pontiac GrandAM, 2.4L.

The check engine light is coming on. I hooked it up to a computer, turns out to be a bad O2 sensor and catalytic converter. Too much $$$ to fix all that, so I am leaving it like that for now. Should it be getting fixed right away? Do you think I am degenerating my car's performance? The car has been running okay with a few problems.

The car has heat fumes coming out from the floor and the window. The car gets so hot from inside that I have to crack the windows, suck when it is raining! Any ideas why?

I don't have the manual for the car. But read it on some other forum that if I use Techron fuel injector cleaner with premium gas, it helps in getting rid of the fumes and smell...tried that, kinda worked, but not really!

Is the premium Mobil Gas good for car? or is it too much for that engine? I put 89 today, and woooof.....the car started smelling again!

When the check engine light comes on, the ETS (Enhanced Traction System) light comes on too? Ideas why?

Madcat455
10-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Your catylic converter could be getting plugged, that would explain alot of heat... As for performance effects. My wifes Converter just had to be replaced on her 03 taurus... was getting 14mpg before, and lacked power... 220 miles on a tank if we were lucky.

Now after replacement, performance is better and we have gone 200miles on half tank.

I once had an 84 cavalier that had a plugged converter, had heat issues like you seeing and it got so bad it wouldn't go over 60 on the highway...lol. there was no speed increase from 1/8th to full throttle.

Backed up exhaust gasses and the excess heat might be why the O2 sensor went bad. Bad O2 sensors will cause the car to get wrong readings and could put in too much or not enough gas. Not to mention rough idle among other things.

So, you might want to get it fixed... all that heat might also affect other things, melt wires.. smoke you carpet... etc.

Good luck.

ManktheTank19
10-02-2004, 10:14 PM
All i can say is that sounds like a lot of work and money and i suggest to get it fix

carnewbiee
10-02-2004, 10:17 PM
ah, ok, i think I will get that done.

But the problem is, if I go to a shop, this is what they have to say:

"How do you know that the catalytic converter and O2 sensor is the problem? It can be anything else?"

And I can't tell him that I, and two other auto techs have reported the same exact problem. If I do tell him, then I he would charge me more to fix or wouldn't be ready to fix it.

Is it easy to buy, change the sensors and stuff yourself? Any special tools required? I got the basic tools to you change the tires, do oil change etc. Do I need a special tool to unscrew the catalytic converter? O2 sensor?

My car has 2 sensors (exhaust and behind the engine). I don't have a jack though, will it be easy enough just to get under the car and then do it?

If I go to a shop, how much should I pay for it? For the labor.

GTP Dad
10-03-2004, 07:07 AM
You can change the O2 sensors yourself with simple hand tools although you will need to get under the car to do it. The car will need to be jacked up because there isn't much ground clearance to crawl under it. You can use the jack that came with the car as long as you use concrete or wood blocks to support the car before crawling under it. Jack stands would be better and only cost a few dollars to buy at WalMart. As far as the convertor goes you will need to buy a new one, they cost anywhere from $150 to $200 depending on the type and model of the vehicle. You can buy this on line but then you will need to get it installed. Some of the convertors just bolt on and if you are lucky enough to have one of these you could spend time and change it yourself, if not you will need to have it welded in place and will need to take it to a shop to get it done. You could remove the exhaust system, and take the new cat and exhaust to the shop for welding rather than taking the entire car. If you have a shop replace the cat for you the cost for labor can be a couple hundred dollars depending on the labor rate and expect additional costs if they need parts. Good Luck!

carnewbiee
10-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks for your reply everyone!

I will look up at places for instructions on how to change the sensor (maybe buy a repair manual), but i doubt that I would be able to do this myself!

The sensor in the exhaust manifold might be easy, but the one that is behind the engine...that I have no idea where exactly it is and how much I would have to open up to get there.

Thanks much for help.

Any other comments appreciated.

Tom94gaGT
10-05-2004, 01:11 AM
carnewbie, all you have to do is go to a shop and tell them what you want done, if you tell them what needs to be done they wont ask questions and if they do tell them you will take your business elsewhere. most places will just do what you ask and let you know of other possible problems. Most of the time they just want to make it clear that if you have more trouble taht its not due to their worksmanship since you didnt have them diagnose the problem. In my experience most places have no problem performing the job that you ask them to do, its actually less work for the mechanic becuse they dont have to troubleshoot and figure out what the problem is themselves.

Tom94gaGT
10-05-2004, 01:16 AM
also, theres really no sense in replacing the sensors yourself if you do have a pluged up cat convertor, because they will just go bad again and vise versa. you really should take care of both problems at the same time to avoid damage to the new convertor and sensors

carnewbiee
10-05-2004, 07:47 AM
Ok, I will see what they have to say, and try to get it done for the cheapest dollar. It probably is going to cost around $500!!!

Add your comment to this topic!