Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard to start. Have to turn the motor over three times to start.

gschretter
10-02-2004, 07:31 PM
2000 chevy 3500 5.7 108,000 miles.

For some strange reason my truck sometimes has a hard time starting.

Cold or hot does not matter.

I get one great start but the next start if two days later or 2 minutes, it will have to turn over three times to start.

When I have to crank the motor two more times I can hear the motor trying but it will not catch.

New Fuel filter.
New K&N air filter

I can hear the fuel pump running.

Once it starts it runs like a beast from H&ll. Idles at 500 rpm just fine.

Could the idle screw be to low?

Should I replace the following:
1. Cap / Rotor
2. Wires
3. Plugs

Any ideas

Thanks.

skipr
10-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Do you have to pump the gas pedal to get it to start?

gschretter
10-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I do not touch the gas pedal at all.

I removed the Jet computer and put in 93 octane.

I think putting in 93 octane made a difference.

Now I have turn it over twice every fourth start regardless if the Jet computer is on there or not.

I am going to run some carb cleaner on the trottle body. I think the hole is plugged that goes through the throttle plate.

I am also going to replace the plugs/wires and cap and rotor.

I have read about this problem with chevys on other boards.

I do not get it. Why do these chevy have some many problems.

I have been a Ford person for 10 years never had a problem.

My old ford f-150 has 350,000 miles on it and it still runs and passes emissions and it starts just touching the key.

Also I have a 81 chevy 350 in a jeep and it starts right up.

I guess this computer stuff really does mess things up.

skipr
10-03-2004, 03:45 PM
I have a 1979 Chevy C20 (3/4 ton) that has over 500,000 miles. And it has never let me down, (although I am not the original owner) I have had it since 1990 and not 1 repair . I dont even check the oil.or any other vital fluid. But back to your question I was thinking FPR was bad but the symtoms are not the same...sorry I dont know

gschretter
10-03-2004, 03:56 PM
What a FPR?

I was in shock from another Silverado forum that were having the same problems.

Also read a lot about the coolant thing.

My coolant has 100,000 and is 4 years ( Got the truck last month)
and there was mud coming out of it. When I took off the rad cap it looked like someone stuck it in mud.

Had the power flush the truck 6 times.

I have always worked on older vehicle and this is the first time I have worked on anything newer (besides wife 1999 windstar) and I am surprised with all the problems new cars. I guess older cars that had problems a long time ago are in the junkyards now.

Jeremy-WI
10-03-2004, 06:05 PM
FPR= fuel pressure regulator. They do go bad and aren't the easiest to replace on the 350- located in the upper intake manifold. Do a fuel pressure test, should be 60-66 psi with key on, engine off and the pressure should hold in spec after the pump shuts off

skipr
10-03-2004, 06:11 PM
FPR= fuel pressure regulator. They do go bad and aren't the easiest to replace on the 350- located in the upper intake manifold. Do a fuel pressure test, should be 60-66 psi with key on, engine off and the pressure should hold in spec after the pump shuts off

There, he just said it for me.

gschretter
10-03-2004, 07:19 PM
I will check the fuel pressure this weekend.

Do you know by chance which fuse I pull to shut off the fuel pump?
Is it one of the fuses in the engine bay or inside the cab?
I want to run fuel injector cleaner through the fuel fails.

Is it true that if there is fuel in the vaccum line for the FPR then it is bad?

Thanks for all your help.

I think removing the Jet chips did the most good.

skipr
10-03-2004, 11:30 PM
well the FPR doesn't really hav a vacumm line, the whole unit is within the vacumm of thr upper maniflod. It's mounted to the passager side of the fuel metering body (not throttle body).Like he said it's not easy to get at, but it is easy to test. You will need a fuel pressure gauge with a 100 psi scale, and the correct fitting for the test port. But I really dont think you have a bad FPR your symtoms don't match. I understand you have a 2000 with 5.7, I thought the 5.7 was discontinued in 1999. Replaced by the 327 or I mean 5.3.

Jeremy-WI
10-04-2004, 07:24 AM
ECM-B fuse under the hood should control the fuel pump. Have you ever tried turning the key on, wait for pump to quit, turn key off for eight seconds and turn key back on- maybe repeat the sequence 3 or 4 times before trying to start

gschretter
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Will it still start with the fuel injector cleaner hooked up.

In other words does this fuse only control the fuel pump or does it control other parts?

Which fuse is it under the hood?

What is weird now that I removed the Jet chip and put in 93 octane it starts perfect everytime.

I am getting better gas mileage and my OD is working great.

I really do not need to Jet chip since I will not be drag racing a 1 ton.

skipr
10-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Would you like a detailed schematic of the fuel pump and relay wiring?

gschretter
10-05-2004, 05:11 PM
YES and also which fuse discounts the fuel pump.

I bought the Hayes manual for supposly 2000 3500 but it covers the 1500 and 7.4 more than the 3500 with a 5.7.

So any more detail information I can get I will be thankful for.

skipr
10-05-2004, 06:08 PM
I tried to upload the jpg's on fuel_controls and it said exceeded file size limit, I can attach an e-mail if u give me your address.

gschretter
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
GSchretter@Comcast.net

Thanks for your time.

If you are ever in Irving,TX and need some help drop me a line.

gschretter
10-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Battery cable was bad.

10.5 volts going to the fuse box.

Replace with 8 gauge wire and put in an Optima Red top battery.

Starts with just .001 second turn of the starter.

gschretter
10-10-2004, 02:51 AM
The battery cable to the fuse box was supplying 10.5 volts.

Wires was a waste land.

Purchased a new Optima battery and put new 8 gauge wires to fuse box.

You just touch the key and it starts....

I would have never guessed.

stcouse
06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Do you have the schematic for an 89 1500 with a 5.7L 350? I need to replace the fuel pump and since I'm a newbie, I'd like to have something to look at for directions. Thanks
scouse@dc-ventures.com

shansurfer26
07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Hey all i have a Chevy 99 silverado and i been really have problems with it. Miles 147,000 and when it sits for a few days it doesnt want to start. (mostly happens after it rains. I had FPR replaced like 3 months ago new Fuel filter New Fuel injectors, i just cant figure it out right now can anyone help me?

gremlin96
07-05-2007, 08:33 AM
trouble shooting 101. with the computer age hitting the cars, trucks and motorcycles. if you have any age on any vehicle check the wiring from the battery. you may need to add a few ground wires. to save coper wires, a lot of makers will use the shortest route. that means batter to frame, frame to motor. your computer may be getting voltage from 5 or more short runs of coper to steel. that tail light is getting its Gounod from the motor compartment and its all the way at the rear of the truck/car.

every one thought i was nuts to run a wire from the batter to the tail lights on the rear of my old 1985 Chevy. i had a tail light that would not work. after the new wire and a bit of cleaning of the grounds it worked better than new.

since my truck was full power equipped. I did not stop there, the wires to the battery showed a bit of age. redid the power wire to the fire wall and to the starter. redid all grounds, and alternator wiring. that truck ran like brand new.

i even had to redo grounding wires on brand new car, trucks, and semis. cutting corners from the makers will get you in the end. i had a truck driver with a 4 month old semi, using a set of jumper cables to get a good ground to finsh a load. every time he needed to trun the truck off, it would not start. when he got in the shop we ran a new neg wire from the battery bank to the motor block.

silveradofirerescu
07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I had a bad starter that was causing me to have to turn it over 2-3 times. Just a thought.

Add your comment to this topic!