Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

not enough power

Ilikebeer
10-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Ok,,seems that im not getting enough volts back to my fuel pump to make the dang thing run . can some one tell me why im not getting the full 12 volts i need to make the pump run,,,i sure would give my left arm if someone in here can give me the answer as i have gone bald and gray trying to figure this out ,,,thanks for any help. :confused:

OverBoardProject
10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm sure that you cleaned, and inspected the ground, then the power wire. The next step is to check the voltage at the relay, and just work your way back to the battery.

As you found out Auto Electric can be stressfull, so when you start to feel stressed take a coffee break, or call it a day.... You'll find the problem.

BlazerLT
10-02-2004, 10:47 PM
sounds like a bad battery.

Have your chanrgin system and battery tested.

Ilikebeer
10-03-2004, 09:59 AM
ok,,,thanks for the replies so far,,,this is what i have ,,,i straight wired the fuel pump and trk ran,then i turned the truck off and put the plug in from the wiring harness and it ran fine for about 5 min and then shut off...i went back to the fuel pump and disconnected the pressure hose to the pump and no gas,i then went back to the strait wire method and the pump wouldnt run,,,im just wondering that if the pump runs sometimes and then it quits and wont run,knowing it is getting a good power source,could it be the pump moter itself maybe getting hot and shutting off or could it be the fuel module ontop off the pump,,,,ive narrowed it down to these two items unless there is somthing else im overlooking,,,any way sure would like yous guys input on this one ,,,,thanks

Mikado14
10-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Not knowing the year or anything other than an S-10, Check the power at the pump relay. Whatever the voltage reading you have there, it should be at the pump. If it is not, you have a voltage drop somewhere in the run.
However, remeber this, the pump motor is a DC motor and will run even at 6 volts, it will not be efficient, however.

If the straight wire failed to make it operate, then there you go, you need a new one.

BlazerLT
10-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Sounds like the voltage dropped after running it for a bit and the pump didn't have enough jiuce to push fuel.

Ilikebeer, can you at least try and test your charging system first to see if it is performaing properly instead of disregarding my advice?

Add your comment to this topic!