Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just a Warning/Rumor

mike@af
10-02-2004, 04:48 PM
First off, let me say, Im not sure if the following is true or not; its a rumor going around a few model forums.

Heed this as a warning, but dont freak out.

Supposedly a few toy companies are snooping around model forums looking for ideas for new releases. They are believed to be looking for works in progress, especially schematics, drawings, etc. (I.E. all my drawings for my hot rod, both sketches and CAD. Im happy I have all mine patented/copyrighted. So if they decide to take my stuff I will file lawsuits).

They are specifically intrested in online aftermarket products by small companies, new ideas, among other things.

Like I said, I am not sure if it is true or not.

Spitfire7
10-02-2004, 04:54 PM
If they are, then i think that's great. Just think of all the threads we've had begging tamiya for some new releases instead of re-releasing old cars. If they saw them they might get the idea. I'm sure everyone here has loads of idea for products, it would be cool if some companies saw them and took notice.

TireGaint
10-02-2004, 05:11 PM
YA, I know one of the major Japanese Multimedia kit manufacture are looking around modelling forum. Tamiya? dont know, but if they do, please make 1/20 Ferrari F2004 and 1/24 Ferrari F430. Please.

freakray
10-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Im happy I have all mine patented/copyrighted. So if they decide to take my stuff I will file lawsuits).

Wow Mike, you must have some kind of money laying around if you've got that patented, what's your patent number?

mike@af
10-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Wow Mike, you must have some kind of money laying around if you've got that patented, what's your patent number?

I've got a good friend who's an patent attorney...All the patents are "in progress", like patent pending, but everything is copyrighted.

freakray
10-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I've got a good friend who's an patent attorney...All the patents are "in progress", like patent pending, but everything is copyrighted.

So, what's the number?

Did your 'friend' make you pay the filing fees or is he doing this as an expensive favor? :smooch:

BTW, I do have a couple of patents to my name so I do know what they entail to get them filed and approved.

mike@af
10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
So, what's the number?

Did your 'friend' make you pay the filing fees or is he doing this as an expensive favor? :smooch:

BTW, I do have a couple of patents to my name so I do know what they entail to get them filed and approved.

I honestly have no fucking clue. I gave him a couple drawings a week or two ago, he said he'd get them patented. Normally it costs around $500 a patent, he said he could possibly get it as low as $150

ec437
10-02-2004, 05:46 PM
pantented? you wouldn't patent drawings... you'd put them on file with the us library of congress so that you could sue if your copyright was violated.

mike@af
10-02-2004, 05:54 PM
pantented? you wouldn't patent drawings... you'd put them on file with the us library of congress so that you could sue if your copyright was violated.

Whatever it is...I just told him to get them patented/copyrighted, he said he would. Thats that. I dont know what the fuck he's doing besides getting everything my own for me to sell my drawings, and sue if anything was resold.

And isnt this getting a little off topic?

ec437
10-02-2004, 06:28 PM
yep, sure is :p

haha1234
10-02-2004, 07:27 PM
my dad used to be really into model rockets and stuff, he made his own rocket and it was put into a local magazine and someone stole the design...he said it was a really bad feeling to have his design taken, and mike with your skill im sure you would have hated to have your projects stolen...good thinking on the patent

freakray
10-02-2004, 07:32 PM
I honestly have no fucking clue

I dont know what the fuck he's doing besides getting everything my own for me to sell my drawings, and sue if anything was resold.

Since we're going off topic, weren't you the one that was bitching about people using the word 'fuck'?

Just lighten up Mike....... :smooch:

supratuner
10-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Hey

Do you guys think Tamiya would look for this kind of stuff? NO

If any company is, it will be Revell, and or AMT, why? They will be interested in the Aftermarket, market. Maybe Fujimi/Aoshima too, but i would place my bet that Revell or AMT would do this, I dont do too much stuff like that but im not worried, This will be a great thing if true, because for the ones of us that suck at building stuff, we will have better already built stuff ready.

my 2 cents

mike@af
10-02-2004, 08:27 PM
BTW, I said toy companies, not model companies. I dont want to give out the names at this point.

Skateforfood
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
let me guess Xconcepts? Yes they do this alot :licka:

ImolaEK
10-02-2004, 09:59 PM
let me guess Xconcepts? Yes they do this alot :licka:

:lol: I think 99.9% of the die-cast people know that. Problem with them is the quality of their cars. Their Subaru WRX just makes me want to go to sleep:sleeping:

rx7king
10-03-2004, 12:46 AM
If they are, then i think that's great. Just think of all the threads we've had begging tamiya for some new releases instead of re-releasing old cars. If they saw them they might get the idea. I'm sure everyone here has loads of idea for products, it would be cool if some companies saw them and took notice.

exactly........maybe they will come up with a SR20 :naughty:

SupaMan89T
10-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Thats pretty kool maybe somebody who repersents AF will have a idea bought/used! :)

will69camaro
10-03-2004, 01:07 AM
There have been toy companies getting feedback from people on pro-touring.com for ideas for model releases and they've produced a couple diecast models...I think it would be awesome if they would come out with some new models and re-releases...Maybe a Fox body stang again, or remake the 99cobra into a 03mach1 or cobra...Seems to me they wouldnt' have to try very hard to come up with new ideas for new models completly or even aftermarket stuff...

William

(trying to get things on topis a little :) )

mike@af
10-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Thats pretty kool maybe somebody who repersents AF will have a idea bought/used! :)

From what I understand, nothing is bought.

drunken monkey
10-03-2004, 09:32 AM
.....hence the use of the word 'warning' in the title.....

StephenDeli
10-03-2004, 09:54 AM
YA, I know one of the major Japanese Multimedia kit manufacture are looking around modelling forum. Tamiya? dont know, but if they do, please make 1/20 Ferrari F2004 and 1/24 Ferrari F430. Please.

I agree. We definatly need more Formula One cars.

Spitfire7
10-03-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree. We definatly need more Formula One cars.
With the declining interest and falling tv viewing figures in Forumla 1 because of Schumachers dominace, it doesn't look likely. Even ex-champion Nigel Mansell has said he doesn't find F1 interesting any more. DTM, WRC, JGTC etc are more open championships where anyone could win, making them more interesting, hence more chance of a model.

willimo
10-03-2004, 11:53 AM
*This post in not correct, please refer to my next post in this thread.

I would think it very foolish to "steal" ideas and designs off of AF. From what I understand, having a copyright filed is really a formality, and intellectual property is implicitly copyrighted by the owner. The only real issue is being able to prove that you had the idea first. Most folks sit on an idea, keep it a secret, and then it gets stolen from under them and they have a hard time claiming its theirs and anyone beleiving it. If some toy company finds a design here, and produces it as their own, there will be a few dozen witnesses, plus dated posts by the original author of the design. There may be issues with the reliability of the source (dates on posts changed or tampered with, fellow AFers' implied interests) but really, it probably wouldn't be worth the trouble. This isn't exactly an enormous, high yeild industry, the profit margins here wouldn't justify the risk in my opinion - it's not like stealing an idea is going to revolutionize the industry and be a major cash cow. Not with toy cars. The toy companies should pay for better, more creative designers instead of trying to rip others off, especially from as volatile a source as AF; it may not be worth their trouble. Let this serve as a warning for them.

customminatures
10-03-2004, 12:10 PM

This is the problem at hand! They dont want to "buy" the ideas from our great minds! They are looking for ideas to steal! Why pay for it, if you can copy it! And copyrites and patents most likly cant save us, they have far to much money and nohow! Really, all they have to do is look at what we do, and tweak it in just the smallest amount and go for the gold! Its just sucks in general. Its like we are the test dummies and what ever goes over well with us and what we build as in the more popular thing, they will copy it and sell it to the public. Im not talking about regular building. There are alot of aftermaarket companies in this too. This announcement/warning is more for people like Hiro with his 1 off parts for his skyline build and things to that nature. I dont really know what to make of all this. I heard the rumor from another person also. IMO, these big shot designers get paid the big bucks to design what we want. So why cant the do there job and what they get paid for and design these things from there head instead of stealing there ideas from us!

Skateforfood
10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
What would they be selling? If we make body mods its usually to look like a 1:1 scale part, and if they copy that they will deal with company. I don't think we haft to worry unless someone makes there own custom body kit or racing car.

Martbee
10-04-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking about the front of the Hummer H2 (GMC) and the front of the Jeep C-7 (Chrysler) issue... The Jeep definetly made the first this design and sue Hummer when the H2 was release but Hummer did the right thing... just adding a little extra on the front grills and BAM.. here comes the "NOT EXACTELY THE SAME" explanation and they won their point. So I think that a toy company or a model company with a little brain can do the same... stole the idea and modified it just a little so you can't say it's the same !!!

edit:Off topic maybe but certainly the real life (1:1) is the same as the model one (1/24).

willimo
10-04-2004, 10:44 AM
After speaking with my consul today (my sister), I've had the law explained to me and my above statement was not correct. According to my sister, who has passed the patent bar and is therefor a reliable source in my estimation, if you post your design online (or in any public forum) you own it for a year before it becomes public property, unless you get a design patent on it.

That's what the law says, generally, though there are different specifics.

Add your comment to this topic!