Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Stratus fuel pump

wiz458
10-02-2004, 03:36 PM
My wife's 96 stratus isn't getting fuel to the fuel rail.
I dropped the tank & replaced the fuel filter.
Withe the tank down, I turned on the ignition to see if I got gas out of the filter & got nothing.
Is this an accurate test or am I missing some sensor or something?
I'm hoping its not the fuel pump since the autoparts store wants $200 for the dang thing.

cynot
11-04-2004, 03:27 AM
I'd have to say that your fuel pump is bad. First, check the voltage going to the fuel pump. You should get 12 volts DC. If not, you my also want to check the fuel pump relay located in the fuse box under the hood. Swap them out if you have to. All the relays are the same. I just finished replacing the pump on my '95 stratus. I was able to check the pump by simply turning on the ignition. The new pumps are expensive, however I picked one up at the bone yard for $50.00. You have to ask yourself how long am I going to hold on to the car. Then make the correct purchase. To me $170.00 savings is all I needed to make my purchase.

mhssez
12-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Another way to tell if it is the fuel pump is to disconnect the quickconnect by the fuel rail in the engine bay. Please disconnect your negative battery before you do this as you dont want to have any spark. If there is no pressure when you disconnect the fuel line then it is the fuel pump. I just replaced mine and also paid 45 for mine at the bone yard. It is not too hard to replace yourself as I didn't want to take it in or have to pay 200.for a new one. If you take one of those rubber strap things that you can use on a oil filter (sorry for the not so technical name) it comes out in a jiffy. Fosters in Oregon sent mine in the mail in 2 days for 10.oo in shipping. Well worth it800-547-4851 they are nationwide and may have a closer location near you. All of the yards here were out of them. Must be kinda common. :-)

expotrek
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
anyone know how the regulator works??? my friend has a 96 with no fuel in the rail, we took it all apart and as long as the filter is not hooked up it seems to be pumping just fine, nice steady stream, and as un-sceintific as it is the ol finger on the end of the hose test, it has plenty of pressure. but as soon as the filter is on it just trickles out and you can hear it flowing back through the return. any regulator i've seen has a vacuum line to it. im wondering if its simply a path of least resistance type. any thoughts??

Add your comment to this topic!