Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Password Lost

RSX-S777
10-02-2004, 03:10 PM
My friend is an idiot- forgot his password and cannot get into Windows XP. Other than the hint icon, which he conveniently neglected to use (no password hint left when he initially changed it), is there any way to access his files/folders, bypass, reveal or change the password from the initial 'Enter Password' screen so that he may actually use his computer? Thanky.

P.S. This really is a "friend's" problem. If I were this dumb, I wouldn't be here posting this right now, would I? :biggrin:

Neutrino
10-02-2004, 03:24 PM
My friend is an idiot- forgot his password and cannot get into Windows XP. Other than the hint icon, which he conveniently neglected to use (no password hint left when he initially changed it), is there any way to access his files/folders, bypass, reveal or change the password from the initial 'Enter Password' screen so that he may actually use his computer? Thanky.

P.S. This really is a "friend's" problem. If I were this dumb, I wouldn't be here posting this right now, would I? :biggrin:

Get a cd-rom bootable linux distro, access and save his files then do a clean reinstall.

ImportBuilder
10-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Well, I'm probably too late to help, but...Re installing windows is 100% unneccasary in most cases.
there is a simple work around to get an admin account on XP w/o reinstalling or anything. If u still need help, PM me on AF or IM me on AIM @ akutenshidori

Neutrino
10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Well, I'm probably too late to help, but...Re installing windows is 100% unneccasary in most cases.
there is a simple work around to get an admin account on XP w/o reinstalling or anything. If u still need help, PM me on AF or IM me on AIM @ akutenshidori

please share with the rest of us the trick to get an admin account in a locked windows. :)

ImportBuilder
10-11-2004, 08:51 PM
I'd rather not, as it could be used to compromise any XP box that you have physical access to, and can reboot. However, you can probably find the information yourself, starting right Here (http://www.google.com).

ImportBuilder
10-11-2004, 08:59 PM
did the above post sound professional and ethical enough? well, heres the real me. Since someone (god only knows, except i dont believe in god, so no one really knows who...or something like that) shared the secret with me, and because i really dont care what you people do to others PCs (so long as u stay the hell outta mine with ur malicious intents), i'll tell u all how to be "1337 H4x0RZ" or whatever you think your trying to be. KEEP IN MIND: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HELPFUL FOR PPL LIKE THE FREIND MENTIONED ABOVE. NOT HACKERS/CRACKERS...
step 1: Turn on the PC in question
step 2: watch ur keyboard until u see all your green lights (num, caps, and scroll lock) flash
step 3: as soon as the lights flash, start tapping F8 repeatedly. now, heres the tricky part: dont go gorilla style and break the F8 key. i said TAP, not BEAT.
step 4: when you get the Windows menu (forgot the exact name of it), there should be a "Safe Mode" option. choose safe mode, and then once Windows shows the welcome screen or usr name/password box, choose Administrator (with no password) and u should be in. Now, as an Admin, u can change passwords, so make the neccesary changes, and reboot into normal mode and try the new password(s).
good luck RSX-S777 and Pals!

Neutrino
10-11-2004, 09:11 PM
did the above post sound professional and ethical enough? well, heres the real me. Since someone (god only knows, except i dont believe in god, so no one really knows who...or something like that) shared the secret with me, and because i really dont care what you people do to others PCs (so long as u stay the hell outta mine with ur malicious intents), i'll tell u all how to be "1337 H4x0RZ" or whatever you think your trying to be. KEEP IN MIND: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HELPFUL FOR PPL LIKE THE FREIND MENTIONED ABOVE. NOT HACKERS/CRACKERS...
step 1: Turn on the PC in question
step 2: watch ur keyboard until u see all your green lights (num, caps, and scroll lock) flash
step 3: as soon as the lights flash, start tapping F8 repeatedly. now, heres the tricky part: dont go gorilla style and break the F8 key. i said TAP, not BEAT.
step 4: when you get the Windows menu (forgot the exact name of it), there should be a "Safe Mode" option. choose safe mode, and then once Windows shows the welcome screen or usr name/password box, choose Administrator (with no password) and u should be in. Now, as an Admin, u can change passwords, so make the neccesary changes, and reboot into normal mode and try the new password(s).
good luck RSX-S777 and Pals!

LOL that is funny, don't take it personal but that will not do anything. Several of us are sys admins (or something along those lines) on this board and using safe mode is not what i would call new information.

If the system has a password it most likelly has a password for the admin too so that will not do squat. Especially if the secure login is selected. Microsoft programers were not that stupid as to allow a safe mode entrance with no pass.

I though you had a way to decript the hash file where windows stores its passwords.

ImportBuilder
10-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Have u ever used windows XP pro? apparently, Microsoft programmers WERE "that stupid", because IT WORKS. if u have XP Pro, try it, it will probably work. besides, not to be a dick to RSX's freind, but if hes enuff of a fool to FORGET a password, he probably didnt change the setting that lets this trick work. try it first, then when it doesnt work, come tell me it didnt. until then, please dont bother telling me my information is "funny".
Oh, and even after u try it on your box, and it doesnt work (it IS a possibility.), try it on EVERY other Windows XP-equipped PC on the planet, then report back.

ImportBuilder
10-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Oh, btw, I just tried this on an XP home machine too. it worked. and, i do remember, back in the day, using DOS to delete the password files for accounts. as long as u know atleast one user name/pass for the Win 9X/ME PC, u can do that. I have spent a long time learning how to get access to an OS once u have physical access, so that i can counter act it. I know how to do these things. Amazingly, since MS is full of a bunch programmers, who, for some reason, must have forgtotten hacking exists, this stuff is easy once u know how it all works.

Neutrino
10-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Oh, btw, I just tried this on an XP home machine too. it worked. and, i do remember, back in the day, using DOS to delete the password files for accounts. as long as u know atleast one user name/pass for the Win 9X/ME PC, u can do that. I have spent a long time learning how to get access to an OS once u have physical access, so that i can counter act it. I know how to do these things. Amazingly, since MS is full of a bunch programmers, who, for some reason, must have forgtotten hacking exists, this stuff is easy once u know how it all works.

The only reason it might have worked is because you have no password for admin access. And that is your fault.

Trust me I just tried this on a properly passworded comp and of course it did not work.

XP is not 98 it is based of an NT kernel and its far safer.

ImportBuilder
10-12-2004, 12:14 AM
when did i say XP was 98? i said similar things worked in 9X. Believe what you want, but you can not password this admin acount in XP pro. i have tried. but, i am gonna write myself a note, so i will remember to yet again try to password the account, because right now i need to go to bed. i finished my A+ certification last year, and this year im working on my ASE certification. So, im pretty busy w/ school, which means i need rest. good night.

Neutrino
10-12-2004, 12:54 AM
when did i say XP was 98? i said similar things worked in 9X. Believe what you want, but you can not password this admin acount in XP pro. i have tried. but, i am gonna write myself a note, so i will remember to yet again try to password the account, because right now i need to go to bed. i finished my A+ certification last year, and this year im working on my ASE certification. So, im pretty busy w/ school, which means i need rest. good night.

How can you not remember its part of the instalation of XP pro, when windows asks you to setup the administrator password.

One note, the trick you posted might work with windows home, i'm just not sure since I never wasted my time with it since XP is far superior.

And i find it quite curious that you took the A+ certification at 14 and you still are not aware that the Major OS win xp pro requires you to enter an admin password during instalation. Not to mention that you called that trick "hacking", that is worse than calling a brute force attack "hacking"

And why are you taking an ASE certification and an A+ those fields have very little in common.

Honestly I'm tempted to call BS and ask you to post a picture of yourself with the A+ certification.

Oz
10-12-2004, 01:44 AM
ImportBuilder - give up now. Seriously.

ImportBuilder
10-12-2004, 08:21 PM
why should i give up? I am right. I did say it was possible that it wouldnt work, but if you think about it... How many people actually installed their XP? not many, because most people order a PC from Dell, Gateway, or other companies that pre-install XP. So, most XP computers will let this work. If you think you know how to fix this problem, go ahead and give me the info. I will then try to use this trick again, and if u were right, i'll have no problem saying im wrong. But, until that happens, I will stand by my opinions, believing what I believe. call me stubborn if u want, but i know what i know from experience. You can get into XP this way.

pre98zetec
10-12-2004, 09:13 PM
don't work on my dads laptop with xp pro.

Neutrino
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
No you claimed that it was a widows error. and despite that A+ certification of yours you had no ideea Xp pro requires an admin password during install.

I called BS on your previous claim. Somehow given your posts I very much doubt you got your A+ certification the previous year when you were only 14.

So answer me those two very simple questions (as an A+ you should know them by heart):

1. A specific pc2700 memory is faster than a pc3200. Why? (same quality same brand no errors)

2. There is one main difference between the p4 architecture and an athon xp architecture(also common in older pentiums) . What is that? And why its paramount that the p4 must run higher clock speeds to take advantage of it? Also in p4 what is the main problem with this design

Neutrino
10-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Guess you could not google the questions or ask someone in time to answer the questions. Not unexpected.

Anyway RSX i have some good news, i just found the program I was looking for: ERD Commander. Its bootable and has an app called Locksmith that will allow you to change the admin pass.

The bad news is that it costs $150

http://winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp?pid=erd

my3rdskyline
10-13-2004, 06:32 AM
does someone need a crack disk for XP/2000? I'll make you a deal.... save you 50 bucks over that site mentioned above.

nah just bullshitin, if you need a crack disk send me a PM and i'll give you a link to it on my site.

Oz
10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
:lol2: The silence is deafening.

ImportBuilder
10-14-2004, 01:58 PM
The reason i didnt reply was because i have a social life. im sorry, i dont sit in front of a computer all the time. But, like i said, once i was proven wrong, i'd admit it. Apparently, Dell and Gateway are the only companies that configure Windows to let people in without a password.

pre98zetec
10-14-2004, 02:43 PM
my dads is a gateway and as I said before, it doesn't work.

my3rdskyline
10-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Apparently, Dell and Gateway are the only companies that configure Windows to let people in without a password.
them and MICROSOFT! although with physical access I can get in to a linux box almost as easily.

Oz
10-14-2004, 06:50 PM
The reason i didnt reply was because i have a social life. im sorry, i dont sit in front of a computer all the time. But, like i said, once i was proven wrong, i'd admit it. Apparently, Dell and Gateway are the only companies that configure Windows to let people in without a password.
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

This thread is comedy gold! Gold, Jerry, Gold!

Neutrino
10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

This thread is comedy gold! Gold, Jerry, Gold!
:rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!