Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looks like this is the end for me..............

primera man
10-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Well the move to my new house is over and managed to move over 100 models and only broke 2 mirrors off :cool:

Bad news is i cant get back onto AF on my computer :shakehead
Everytime i try and log onto AF to post, my computer "does an illegal operation and will shut down".
I have tried everything i know and even been in contact with Jay to try and sort it out but nothing has worked so far and i have got to the stage of giving up.
I've even run a recovery disc though my computer and no luck...AF is the only site i cant get into :mad: :mad:
I can only view from my work computer which i'm typing from at present, but i'm very limited to time on it.
So unless someone around here can give me some new ideas i'm stuck out here in the cold not being able to visit anymore :mad:

PMan

mikemechanic
10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Nooooo. Can't someone help this poor man. No more Pman, no more AF.

StephenDeli
10-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Dont give up!!! Try cleaning out your computer(excess files and stuff), buy a cheap dell for 399$!!!

mike@af
10-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Dont worry Warren...I've been talking to some people about it. We will get you sorted out!

primera man
10-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Dont worry Warren...I've been talking to some people about it. We will get you sorted out!

I hope so because its really startint to piss me off how i cant get back on.

Spitfire7
10-02-2004, 02:18 PM
What you need to figure out is whether it is a problem with AF or a problem with your computer. If it's your computer, you could try installing a new hard disk, you can transfer any important files from your current one onto it.

PRIVATEER
10-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Did you change your ISP? If so, check with your new provider,it could be with them.

Vric
10-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Comon guys !! it's not a ISP problem or a Hard Drive problem. It's freaking Windows or Internet Explorer problem.

1. Install Firefox, it might help.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

2. Format and reinstall Windows

Try firefox.. I'm preaty sure it will solve the problem.

OPM
10-02-2004, 05:25 PM
xactly...use firefox,it will sort it out 99%great browser and if AF works,you should be happy:)

ImolaEK
10-02-2004, 06:09 PM
I'd say we all put in some money to get P-Man a Dell!

Dude im getting a dell :D < No not really, im not getting a Dell.

BRM
10-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Illegal operation error is weird. Clear your cache , cookies, history then install IE again. Or service pack. Just an idea that won't take long.

SchuberT
10-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Or P-Man could download and use Opera instead of IE... http://www.opera.com

RallyRaider
10-02-2004, 08:56 PM
It's freaking Windows or Internet Explorer problem.

Absolutely, first thing to do would be try a different browser. AF was doing some annoying things for me with IE last year, so I installed Netscape and everything has been groovy ever since.

MidMazar
10-02-2004, 09:30 PM
i'll go with vric on this one, we need the pman shine!!!!

Hawk312
10-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Illegal operation error is weird. Clear your cache , cookies, history then install IE again

I would avoid IE if at all possible. Definitely, definitely try the other browsers mentioned. Firefox and Mozilla (and possibly others) have some cool features IE doesn`t have as well.
Patching is important, especially if you are running anything MS. Try an Adware detection program (Spybot, Ad-aware) which will detect a browser hijack, which is highly likely if you are using IE. Also, how is your anti-virus defs? If you are on Win2000 or XP, anything interesting in the application logs?

mike united
10-02-2004, 11:08 PM
:disappoin Im genuinly concerned, i, along with many others have learnt so much from you, not to mention all the work youv'e done for this site.
Hope to god you get it sorted so you can continue sharing that "P-man shine" with us long into the future.
Mike.

ZoomZoomMX-5
10-03-2004, 07:38 AM
I had a lot of similar issues w/A/F last year (many times crashing my browser when accessing the site or a new page) with my old version of IE. Getting the right patches/updates for IE fixed it (I did this at the same time as a lot of other maintenance and spyware removal), but I'm with everyone else that the best solution is to go with one of the new non-MS browsers like Firefox or Opera.

stryfe101
10-03-2004, 01:02 PM
I know this may not help, but I had an attack earlier this year(i had over 400 things found when I ran adaware the first time....no joke) and I cleaned must of the easy stuff off but still had a few lurkers a/f was the only site to have this one weird adware program to pop up and try to get me to click the link..then it said it would redirect me to the a/f site..pissed me off alot, i have since gotten rid of everything, and moved to mozilla..and last check i ran came up with zero stuffs.

Gray

redtibby
10-03-2004, 04:17 PM
I just got a Mac iBook and have been playing with it for several days. I understand that the Mac OS is very stable and that there are no viruses or hacker problems. I really like the machine and Safari, the Mac browser works very well.

GvEman
10-03-2004, 04:23 PM
if nothing else works Format c:
i gues that has been said erlier but... well i said it again

Vric
10-03-2004, 04:36 PM
if nothing else works Format c:
i gues that has been said erlier but... well i said it again

add /q to the command to save few minutes :lol:

blueboost
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Pman..,

great suggestions have been given in this thread, I'd like to know which you've tried.

download and install mozilla. Great web browser IE is terrible.

delete your cookies and your temp internet files. Go to start, find(or search, whatever its named) and type "cookies" open the folders and delete the content. now search for temporary internet files, open the folders and delete everything but the log.

try to ping automotive forums. go to start, then click run. type the word command into that little window and click ok. when the black DOS window opens up type: ping automotiveforums.com

you should get 4 lines that start w/ the word reply. if you dont try typing this:

ping 209.246.234.149 you should get 4 lines that start with the word reply.

open IE (internet explorer) and go to tools, internet options click over to the security, then twards the bottom click "default level" if its greyed out click "custom level" then change the reset to box to medium and click the reset button.

uninstall reinstall IE:
go to control panel, doubleclick add/remove programs, on the left select add/remove windows components, uncheck internet explorer, click ok and then reboot. To reinstall just follow the same steps but check the internet exploror box to add it back.

I would just dwnld mozilla. Try this stuff and get back to us ASAP !! ;)

Vric
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
blueboost, you know that everything you said is for Windows 98/ME. If he run 2000/XP, nothing of that will work.

and I don'T really see the point of pinging AF..

Simple step is download the 5mb Mozila Firefox and everything will work, else format.

Hawk312
10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Good points Blueboost, but look back at his first post:
I've even run a recovery disc though my computer and no luck...AF is the only site i cant get into
So it seems as though his connection is fine, and DNS is working properly if he can get to other websites without using the IP. Just thought Warren, if you`re reading this, could avoid trying the ping issue.
Pman, are you reading us?

Re037
10-03-2004, 10:01 PM
formatting is not too big of a deal (if you have everythign backed up on seperate partitions :smokin: )

i reformat about every 6 months just to keep the os running fresh. i know its over kill but its only like 2-3 hrs down time for installing the os and all my programs

athlon 2600 overclocked to 2.2ghz
pc3200 1gb ddr
160gb sata
abit kv7 mobo

plus various addons

Vric
10-03-2004, 10:51 PM
6 months overkill ??

With Windows 98/Me, I had to format every 3 weeks. not it's about 4 months with Windows 2000

mikemechanic
10-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm running Windows 98 and reformatted about 3 months ago, first time in 5 years.

ItalianStallion131
10-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Try restoring your computer with the discs that came with it when you bought it, It will reset everything back to factory settings like when it just came out of the factory

Vric
10-04-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm running Windows 98 and reformatted about 3 months ago, first time in 5 years.

WoW ! you difinitly need to contact the World Record...

Cychalen
10-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Get Netscape. I have been using it since Nestcape Communicator 3.01 without a problem. :thumbsup:

Vric
10-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Get Netscape. I have been using it since Nestcape Communicator 3.01 without a problem. :thumbsup:

Netscape is more than dead :lol: Firefox is way more popular and effective.. Netscape is a html programmer nightmare. I'm very happy less than 1% use it now

primera man
10-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the info that you guys have been helping with.

I have deleted all the cookies and cache thingy's but still no go :disappoin

Today if i get time i'll download a new IE like Mozila Firefox or Opera.
I went to do one yesterday but it was going to take over 2 hours :eek:

Will this effect any of my other computer settings by downloading a different IE then what i have?

Sorry for the questions, but me and computer dont get along to well. I have enough problems just finding the "on" button. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Hiroboy
10-04-2004, 10:41 AM
After reading this thread I downloaded Firefox 4MB file so small and it's much better than IE so have a try at that one. It imports all your IE settings and Login as well
Nice program, Bye Bye IE for me :)

primera man
10-04-2004, 10:47 AM
Cheers mate...i'll try that one

Vric
10-04-2004, 11:30 AM
Firefox and IE can exist on the same computer. when you will start firefox, it will ask you if you want him by default.. just say no and IE will still be the #1 browser on your computer.. after few days, you will probably want to switch to firefox and forget IE. a quick look in the option setting will let you set firefox by default.

very simple, small and effective browser. I'm sure it will solve your problem (if not, it's a windows problem)

white97ex
10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
just a little comment about having to reformat win98 after 5 years. i beleive that win 98 is one of the most stable windows platforms isn't it?

Vric
10-04-2004, 12:20 PM
just a little comment about having to reformat win98 after 5 years. i beleive that win 98 is one of the most stable windows platforms isn't it?

Nope. Windows 2000 is the most stable (way more stable than 98), Windows Me is the worst Windows ever made stability wise.

Windows 98 se is the best choice for old computer.
Windows 2000 is the best choice if you don't have a Pentium 4 HT processor
Windows XP is the only choice for those with Pentium 4 HT processor

I have tried every Windows since 3.11, and this is the conclusion I have made. This is also the rule I do when i'm selling or repairing customer's computer (this is part of my job, I'm a Network Administrator, Microsoft certified)

white97ex
10-04-2004, 12:38 PM
ok. thanx for the clarification. i know this isn't really the right place. but which do you consider to be the better version of XP home or Pro?

white97ex
10-04-2004, 01:31 PM
well, this thread inspired me to download firefox. it fixed several browsing prolems that i have run into thus far.

Macdaddy4738
10-04-2004, 02:27 PM
blueboost, you know that everything you said is for Windows 98/ME. If he run 2000/XP, nothing of that will work.

Simple step is download the 5mb Mozila Firefox and everything will work, else format.

actually the ping automotiveforums.com worked for me...im running XP

Jay!
10-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Comon guys !! it's not a ISP problem or a Hard Drive problem. It's freaking Windows or Internet Explorer problem.

1. Install Firefox, it might help.
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Try firefox.. I'm preaty sure it will solve the problem.That's what I told him 4 days ago. ;)

I *heart* Firefox. :D

mike united
10-05-2004, 11:08 AM
C'mon tell us the good news........we dont want to hear the bad news !?!

Mike

primera man
10-05-2004, 11:24 AM
The good news is its all sorted out thanks to your guys help here :smile:
Thankyou very much to those of you who took the time to reply in the thread, or sent emails/PM's offering advice.
I wouldnt have been able to do it with out your help.

I downloaded Firefox today and its working fine. Managed to log into AF with no problems and could read all the threads with out my computer shutting down :biggrin:

The bads news....my computer screen packed it in about 3 hours later and i need to get a new one now:disappoin ....so i'm still having to post from work for a while longer.

So once again....THANKYOU :grinno: :grinno: :grinno:

PMAN IS BACK IN DA HOUSE :loser:

Murray Kish
10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
This thread inspired me to install Firefox on my computer too!! Thanks Vric!

Murray

mike united
10-05-2004, 01:16 PM
GREAT !!!
Glad your here to stay & the bad news wasnt bad at all was it.
Mike :smile:

StephenDeli
10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Hooray!

RallyRaider
10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Great to have the problem solved and the PMan back! :ylsuper:
Bummer about the monitor though. :(

primera man
10-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Arhhhhh...its good to be back and seeing some old faces again!!
Picked up a new screen today and all done. Quite cheap for new screens these days.

Just need to unpack all the modelling stuff and i'll be ready to build again!!:ylsuper:

Vric
10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
the legendary Pman shine is back !!!

Forhod
10-06-2004, 06:36 AM
Oh yeah! Welcome Back again Pman. :wave:

Vric
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah! Welcome Back again Pman. :wave:

Be sure to read the faq and the how to section :lol: :rofl:

exhaust smoke
10-06-2004, 09:11 AM
I only just read this thread. I was concerned that we were gonna loose the legendary Pman :eek:

Thankfully all is sorted now! :)

So Pman, is the house move the reason why your masterpieces have not graced AF for a while? Look forward to some progress threads soon!!

primera man
10-06-2004, 12:04 PM
So Pman, is the house move the reason why your masterpieces have not graced AF for a while? Look forward to some progress threads soon!!

Took a few months off due to work/family (was getting a hard time from the wife for spending so much time on the computer and model building) then spent all my time getting my car ready for the show circuit which has taken up the last 6 months.
I was also voted in as leader of our car club www.primeracarclub.co.nz which takes up endless hours which put a stop to model building due to time :uhoh:

Then got dissappointed with a few here that had a moan about the AFMOTY contest and thought i rigged the voting and cheated :disappoin

Then we sold our house and we spent 4 weeks looking around for a new place.
Now the move is over, my computer is sorted, our car club is running smoothly, i plan on getting back into it all again.

The place is like a drug...you just cant stay away :iceslolan

SirWelshy
10-06-2004, 12:16 PM
Cool to hear that you back.

stryfe101
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
glad you are back p-man..look forward to seeing some new models from you again soon..

gray

exhaust smoke
10-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Sorry to hear of any probs you have had! Personally, I can't believe you were accused of fixing the comp! :disappoin

Anyway it is good to have you back :smile:

The place is like a drug...you just cant stay away

I couldn't agree more with this comment!! :evillol:

blueboost
10-08-2004, 02:57 PM

I know IE will never really "uninstall" (2000 and up) but for IE bugs, I think it was worth a 2 minute troubleshooting step, that could possibly have helped.

pinging? well if he could ping by name and get reply's its a browser issue. if he can't, but can by # its DNS related etc.. etc.. etc...
His ping statistics would have helped me to further determine the issue.

I also said in my previous post that Mozilla was his solution, so... we were seeing eye to eye, even though we... weren't. ;) :eek7:

Add your comment to this topic!