Something is very wrong with my car, what?

Shaguar47
10-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I've posted this in the 88-91 civic/crx part and have got some good answers but I'm wondering what you guys can help me with on my problem. A Huge Problem actually.

I drive a 1990 honda civic hatchback Standard that has a manual 4-spd.

My problem is getting worse every month and is starting to really affect my driving. I almost ran into someones bumper.

Whenever I'm driving, say in 4th gear, and I let off the gas to decelerate, the car buckles forward and feels like it's loose. So once I'm decelerating and slow down to around 25-20 mph and stopping, the car then feels like it's holding on then suddenly it will buckle forward and backward like it's not holding on to the power no more. It just waves back and fourth, almost in a bouncing motion. So when I come do a stop and then start to move, I can gently press the gas or gun it and the car will bang forward. It's no smooth transaction from slow to fast or from stop to go. I can be doing 30, 45, 55, etc. and it does the same thing, It lurches forward when I hit the gas and buckles back when I let off the gas. Even If I let off the gas slightly or just drop it, the car will buckle back harshly.

So the other day when I'm following close to a car and they keep slowing down and gassing it, I'm trying to hit the gas as slightly as possible, but the car will lunge forward and I have to hit the brakes fast cause the I would almost hit the guys bumper. I've been told that the front of the car raises up and down when it lunges forward very high. Same goes for when I let off the gas as slightly as possible, the car will buckle back. It almost has a little hop to it when it does it.

I've tryed revving it up in my driveway, in neutral with my ebrake on the car does not buckle at all or the engine doesn't buckle at all either. It's smooth when I let off the gas and smooth when I hit the gas. So it's not the engine, but what?

Also, when I'm driving say 45 mph, let off the gas, car lunges forward and then hit the gas, the car will sometimes(only 3 or 4 times a week) skip. It's like I'm pressing the gas, but the car justs bounces forward. It's almost like it's not moving but is trying to but rattles the whole car. The whole car will shudder loudly and the whole chassis will rattlel like a tin can, then it'll move and it's fine.

I beg of anyone to help with this. It's getting worse and I have no clue what the hell it could be. Please, any ideas. I think I'm going to cry

GScivic7
10-02-2004, 02:53 PM
motor mounts maybe?

Civic_D16Y5
10-02-2004, 05:07 PM
tranny?

veilsidercng
10-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd say something with the tranny or clutch, because it does it when you let off the clutch and hit the gas, and when you let off the gas the motor is probably holding it back. How long has it been doing this, and whens the last time u replaced the clutch? (I'm no expert this is just what I think) It might be something with the fuel system to when you pull out its giving it to much gas and when you let off it isn't giving it enough? You can see if your idle is at the right RPM also. Hope ya get it fixed

Spade
10-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Hi, Did you check and see if maybe your E-brake is stuck? It might even be your rear drum brakes sticking. A spring could be shot in your drums and it will self adjust to hold the pad closer to the drum. Notice any type of smell after driving for a while? Just figured you could take a look or even a smell. Good luck!

damasta
10-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey you might want to check your spark plug wires, spark plugs and also your engine mounts if those are correct then its the tranny, but most definetly the things I just said cuz I had like 3 cars last month with that problem and they were the spark plug wires that was making spark because it was touching the engine head and also each other then i checked the engine mount it was all gone so i just changed the spark plugs too to get everything new and not have that problem anymore. I suggest you to take a look at this real soon just to make sure because the spark plug wires touching each other will result in a spark between each other and then boom in the engine and the whole car. To check if its the spark plug see if there is black spots like right under the spark plug wires on the head and then you can also check by having someone put it on neutral and put the brakes on then turn the lights off or get as little light by your car so its dark and tell your friend to press on the gas and look the engine if the spark plug wires are making a spark then that is the problem and maybe also the mounts. Hope this helped. Also you guys may think that i'm wrong but iv'e had this problem a lot of times so its better to just check until your car is nothing but a POS. Hope this helps.

damasta
10-03-2004, 01:17 AM
sorry i ment that if the spark plugs and engine mount is ok then it is the tranny.

bobinohio84
10-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Im not sure, but maybe your clutch is sticking. Kinda like when ur in gear and let off the clutch and stall. When that happens the car jumps. So maybe fuel isn't getting there in time or the clutch is sticking. Just a thought. Good luck

Shaguar47
10-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey you might want to check your spark plug wires, spark plugs and also your engine mounts if those are correct then its the tranny, but most definetly the things I just said cuz I had like 3 cars last month with that problem and they were the spark plug wires that was making spark because it was touching the engine head and also each other then i checked the engine mount it was all gone so i just changed the spark plugs too to get everything new and not have that problem anymore. I suggest you to take a look at this real soon just to make sure because the spark plug wires touching each other will result in a spark between each other and then boom in the engine and the whole car. To check if its the spark plug see if there is black spots like right under the spark plug wires on the head and then you can also check by having someone put it on neutral and put the brakes on then turn the lights off or get as little light by your car so its dark and tell your friend to press on the gas and look the engine if the spark plug wires are making a spark then that is the problem and maybe also the mounts. Hope this helped. Also you guys may think that i'm wrong but iv'e had this problem a lot of times so its better to just check until your car is nothing but a POS. Hope this helps.

That's very interesting to note about the spark plug wires. The car appears to never have had them replaced, so I will do so here in a week.

I just got done putting new NGK v-powers spark plugs in there and it really didn't make a big difference on the problem, but helped with a little more pwer range.

And what your saying about the spark plug wires is that all I have to do is get completely dark with alittle light, and see if there is spark jumping from wire to wire. I'll try tonight and see.

And one more thing, I'm shocked to see that you've had the same problem. I've spoken to no one that's seemed to have the same issues. And so you fixed it completely with just a change of new spark plug wires?

I really apprieciate what u guys are doing here! It's helping me out!

damasta
10-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Ya, and also check your engine mounts because the mounts were broken and the engine would move when you changed gears. If that doesn't really happen then don't change the mounts. ALso when you change the spark plug wires put those tubes that protect the wire from touching each other or other things. If those dont happen then I have no idea what the problem is but its definetly the tranny or the clutch.

Shaguar47
10-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Alright, heres the lowdown. I think it's the front tranny mount but not sure.

Yesterday, I jacked the engine up from the bottom of the tranny and that put pressure on it so the motor wouldn't move. I ran the car and none of the jerkiness happened, so that means that there shouldn't be anything wrong with the timing or engine itself.

So then I jacked it up even more to allow the jackstands to be placed under the car. Lowered the jack under the tranny and allowed the engine to rest on it's weight like normally. Then I turned it on, stuck it in first gear and let it run. Funny thing is that the car sat there running right at idle, so I got out and started to press the throttle linkage. I believe I got up her up to about 3k and immediatly let go of the cable and the engine lunched forward and then I pressed it in again before it could get to idle and the engine snapped back. I looked at the front transmission mount and saw it jiggle alot when I did the gas. The rest of the mounts barely moved at all.

I looked closely at the front mount and noticed that there is a crack that goes straight down the middle of the mount. I believe that this is the problem.

I don't know much about mounts but it moved alot. Am I right on this or not?

Also, how hard is it to replace the front mount? How do you do it?

exman98
10-09-2004, 11:27 PM
id say it sounds like tranny

Shaguar47
10-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Well, I'm goin to order the front mount this friday and hopefully get it in there by sunday. And I know now it's the engine moving cause I can feel the shifter moving when I hit the gas and lay off of it. So if it doesn't fix it, then I'm going to be pissed.

johnb16a2
10-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Alright, heres the lowdown. I think it's the front tranny mount but not sure.

Yesterday, I jacked the engine up from the bottom of the tranny and that put pressure on it so the motor wouldn't move. I ran the car and none of the jerkiness happened, so that means that there shouldn't be anything wrong with the timing or engine itself.

So then I jacked it up even more to allow the jackstands to be placed under the car. Lowered the jack under the tranny and allowed the engine to rest on it's weight like normally. Then I turned it on, stuck it in first gear and let it run. Funny thing is that the car sat there running right at idle, so I got out and started to press the throttle linkage. I believe I got up her up to about 3k and immediatly let go of the cable and the engine lunched forward and then I pressed it in again before it could get to idle and the engine snapped back. I looked at the front transmission mount and saw it jiggle alot when I did the gas. The rest of the mounts barely moved at all.

I looked closely at the front mount and noticed that there is a crack that goes straight down the middle of the mount. I believe that this is the problem.

I don't know much about mounts but it moved alot. Am I right on this or not?

Also, how hard is it to replace the front mount? How do you do it?

Do you mean the front transmission mount and braket?
Please see url:

Here (http://www.binghamtonlife.com/manual/2gsm/images/91-5-7.jpg)

It takes a few bolts to remove it, "an easy job". GL

Add your comment to this topic!