Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Magnaflow exhaust?

CivicRacerX
02-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Has anyone had experience with Magnaflow's exhaust systems? How do they compare to DC Sports/Tanabe etc...???

Xplocivic
02-14-2002, 02:42 PM
Ummm, I know that their cans are OK. I don't know anything about their full cat-back setups. As far as comparing them to DC or Tanabe, those 2 being of the highest quality, I think that Magnaflow would be a couple steps down. Just an opinion, which is what you asked for. Actually, their dual-bomb like can is actually prety nice. A buddy of mine has it.

flylwsi
02-14-2002, 06:07 PM
for a domestic app, they are a very nice muffler. very solid design, and if i were buying just the muffler, like you stated, i would go that route... but if i were going full exh, i would go with tanabe, or maybe the jic stuff from overboost.com.
however, the magnaflow stuff is reallllly high quality, but i consider them to be like flowmaster, more for domestics...

ric
02-14-2002, 06:47 PM
yeah magnaflows are dope if your puttin it on a dodge ram or something but as far as imports go get a tanabe or an apexi or a thermal. they are more geared towards our side of the sutomotive world. i could just picture it now, a corvette with an hks dual super dragger exhaust system...hahahhahahahahhhahahaha

CivicRacerX
02-14-2002, 07:11 PM
Without sounding like an idiot, what kind of difference is it that makes it "more for domestics?" I believe you, I'm just curious as to why the cat-back would not be too beneficial, but just the muffler would be a decent choice.

Secondly, maybe you can answer this somewhat related question - my biggest concern is honestly rust on any exhaust I get. I live in Western PA, and winters are never very pretty. I know I can buy OEM-style exhaust systems from a few companies that have a lifetime warranty against rust. Are there any performance exhausts that have something like that? Or are there any that are notorious for rusting out? I just want to make sure that when I do drop $500 on a setup, I can expect to have it for a long time.

:)

ric
02-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by CivicRacerX
Without sounding like an idiot, what kind of difference is it that makes it "more for domestics?" I believe you, I'm just curious as to why the cat-back would not be too beneficial, but just the muffler would be a decent choice.

Secondly, maybe you can answer this somewhat related question - my biggest concern is honestly rust on any exhaust I get. I live in Western PA, and winters are never very pretty. I know I can buy OEM-style exhaust systems from a few companies that have a lifetime warranty against rust. Are there any performance exhausts that have something like that? Or are there any that are notorious for rusting out? I just want to make sure that when I do drop $500 on a setup, I can expect to have it for a long time.

:)

thermals are all stainless steel so in theory they shouldnt rot out. you deffinatly wanna stay away from stuff like brospeed and matrix and knock off's. anything thats all stainless is gonna be your best shot. im in pittsburgh right now and lived here for 23 years so i know what your sayin. personally im getting an apexi n1, i dont give a flyin sac if its loud or not.

as for why magnaflow and flowmaster are domestic its just because they focus thier cat backs towards the domestic market. sure you could get any muffler and weld it on but you'd be crossing the stereotypical import vs. domestic line and get clowned by someone im sure. personally i wouldnt give a shit but thats your call.

flylwsi
02-14-2002, 07:53 PM
im just saying they are typically a muffler company.
however, if they make a full s/s cat back for your car, i would go for it, b/c i know they make a nice exh. i just havent seen one. and they even have good looking mufflers.
but, a tanabe, apex, whatever exh, is designed for your car. dyno tuned for it. if they have one that is specific, and they can get you a dyno chart, and it looks good, no reason not to go with it...

Tominos
02-14-2002, 11:12 PM
i used to have a magnaflow muffler, with a custom catback exhaust. It doesn't sound really good, without the resonator in the exhaust system, it is really raspy at high rpms, but with the resonator in the exhaust system, it is barely louder than stock, just a low hum. As for choosing that or dc sports, or tanabe, i would definitely go with tanabe, b/c those are really high quality and sound very low and deep, but thats just my opinion.

CivicRacerX
02-15-2002, 08:41 AM
Alright cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll pass on the Magnaflow and look for a more import-friendly setup.

Add your comment to this topic!