Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 taurus windshield washer won't work

cassiopia
10-02-2004, 12:07 AM
I need andy ideas why the windshield washer won't work on my car. I depress the button on the wiper control and nothing, not even a sound. Help, I can't go another winter with out it!

TomV
10-04-2004, 07:03 AM
The button in the stalk is a likely culprit. I had my stalk replaced under warranty after about 2 years. I think it is a common problem since it is mentioned in some reliability reports such as JD Powers.

If repaired at a shop it will probably cost you more for the labor than for the part.

torquelite
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Do you have to pull the steering column to replace the button?

joe92k1500
10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
On my dads 97 taurus we replaced the module. The steering wheel does have to come off. Not really hard, just be really careful of the airbag. Make sure you disconnect the neg. cable on the battery before doing anything. Other than that its not hard at all.

denisb
10-13-2004, 07:12 PM
My washer issue I was able to resolve wiyhout taking the whole module out by poping the cap off the end of the wiper control knob and reajusting the small metalic point inside the speed adjustment knob.That was about 6 months ago, now I'm having a problem with my wipers. They are only working on the second speed and up and only work at one speed no mater where I set it. I suspect the module on this problem, but I need input.

torquelite
10-14-2004, 07:37 AM
Yes, your problem is most likely the module. The module is very easy to replace. I recommend that you purchase a Haynes manual first. You have to remove the ignition switch cylinder (the thing the key slides into) by pushing a small punch or ice pick into a hole on the bottom of the cowling. Then remove the cowling (the plastic trim around the steering column) by removeing three screws from the bottom side of the cowling. This is pretty simple, but I'll be happy to fax you the instructions if you would like. After you remove the cowling you have to remove two screws from the module, then unplug the module from the wiring harness. I think the screws are Phillips head, but they may be Torx. The Haynes manual has a chart you can use to test the continuity across different contacts on the module, assumming that you have access to a volt ohm meter.

The module cost about $50 at Auto Zone. I recommend that you purchase the new module, install it, and, if it doesn't fix the problem, return it.

Add your comment to this topic!