Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PORTED RX-7... how much of a difference

boosted k20
09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
well one of my boyz baught a 89 non turbo rx7 about 3 months ago. within 1 week of own n it he blew it up. so he dropped a new bottom end and finally got it out a week ago. the block he baught was ported.

before he put this block (or chambers. dont know what u rx7 guys call it), his car was slow as shit. Now that shit pulls pretty good. Im gonna run him on the track on sunday so i wanna know what im up against.
all he has is the ported block, custom cold air intake and 2.5" cat back piping. He's run n on 19" rims. he's gonna put on some 16" on the rears when we go to the track.

Im run n a 97 Integra (non-vtec) with cold air intake, 4-1 header, full catback, MSD 6a, blaster2 coil, Apexi SAFC, CROWER cams, SKUNK2 cam gears.
Last time i went to the track i only had the cold air intake and exhaust and i ran a 15.9 on bald tires. i have light weight rims now and brand new Dunlop sport 8000 tires

89tracerman
09-30-2004, 10:26 PM
hey dude you might wana try the Street racing forum under racing. and expect a 15.9 from him and he will probably kick your ass...

boosted k20
09-30-2004, 11:07 PM
he has a street port.

well i ran a 15.9 with only intake and exhaust and shitty tires!!!!!
now i have all this other shit in my car. if he is only capable of run n a 15.9 then im gonna smoke his ass. but his car did feel like it pulled a bit when he took me for a drive. should be a close race. he'll probably have me off the line cuz of his rwd... but i might catch up with him.

dont hate on the pistons bro... i give ur rotaries respect.

Soyo
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
tell him to get rid of all 4 19's... that will kill his time, espeially in a close race... but if I had to put money on it I'd say he'll win if he junks those huge tires... what kind of port does it have?

D3rELiC
10-01-2004, 07:25 PM
he might be close to 170 whp with the porting.
both cars almost weight the same
i think you'll loose this race.

Aruba27
10-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Yeah, it'll be a close race with teh 16s. no offence to him, but damn i hate huge rims. I think the race could come down to proper shifting, but then again, i could be pulling stuff out of my ass.

boosted k20
10-04-2004, 08:12 PM
well i spanked his ass at the races. i ran a 15.5 and he ran 15.8. he had a horrible reaction time. All that trash talk n he put up and he couldnt back it up.

second run he spun bad off the line and ran in the 19's. i was in the 15.5's all day. my car wasnt even run n right either. needs to be tuned. with some tuning i know the car will be in the 15.1's

he was run n 19's in the front and 16's in the rear.

i got matched up with a TURBO II as well on sunday. i killed him off the line and had a good 2-3 car lead on him. He started pull n really hard and by the 1000 foot mark he caught up to me. he beat me by about 1 car lenght. he ran a 14.8 to my 15.5. (his launch was bad and he got a bad reaction)

Soyo
10-04-2004, 09:26 PM
like stated earlier, it was left up to the driver... and most of the time tuning your car won't take off .4 seconds but good luck anyways

Aruba27
10-05-2004, 04:23 AM
19s on the front 16s in teh rear? that guy was an idiot. if you want to reduce weight, the wheels are a great place to start. a few pounds makes a huge difference since it's cetrifical weight. had he had the 16s on teh front as well, he might have had you. to prove my theory, try this experiment:

take some rope and tie a 10 pound dumbell to the end of it, go outside, make sure the knot is really really well done, and then spin around in a circle. then try to slow down or speed up. it shouldn't be too hard. do the same thing, but use a 15 lb weight instead. you'll see that it's much harder to speed up and slow down, even though the weight is only 5 lbs more. the faster you go the more it'll weigh. 19s weigh a lot when they're spinning. also try this with the same weigh and different lenths of rope, you'll see similar results.

Soyo
10-05-2004, 10:07 PM
excellent point, he doesn't seem very smart

D3rELiC
10-07-2004, 11:24 AM
congrats, didnt expect you to win.

boosted k20
10-07-2004, 09:00 PM
now the guy i raced is talk n more trash. he says that the track was messed up that day. he said he's not good at run n on a track and he wants to run me in the street. i said sure whatever and agreed to him...... he went straight home and didnt even bother racing me on the street.

he needs to give that car away for real! give it to someone that can really appreciate a rotary.

stock rx7's are kinda slow right? what do they run? low 16's? my car stock runs 16 stock.

Add your comment to this topic!