Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wobbly tilt steering column with floor shifter

guahanx
09-30-2004, 03:03 AM
My problem concerns the tilt column of my 1991 GMC sierra, 4x4. It just suddenly had a lot of play in the column. Now the key alarm keeps going off at certain angles of the column. It still operates find but the operation of the steering column seems to be deteriorating. I took the vechile to a couple of local mechanics and they all informed me that this is a reoccuring problem on Guam. They also recomended that it would be easier to replace the whole steering column with a functional used or new unit. Is there anyway to fix my existing column? Please help!

Joey C. Flores

Justardnck
10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
I have fixed mine a couple of times in 10 years and plan to do the column in my Vette soon... its easy. You should go out and get a couple of tools to make it easier though
1) a set of inverted torx sockets
2) a steering wheel puller
3) a GM lock plate removal tool

all of which can be found at your local auto parts store.

Remove the steering wheel
Remove the lock plate
Remove the directional signal assembly
Look inside the column and you will see the inverted torx bolts ( you won't be able to tighten all of them but you can get to 2 or 3 of them and that will be enough to get a couple of years out of it before it loosens up again).
I may have missed something along the way here but you get the idea keep removing items till you can see the torx bolts and tighten them. It has been 3 or so years since I have done one but I am going to do my Vette soon so when I do I will have a better description of it.

guahanx
10-07-2004, 02:32 AM
thank you very much. Hey send me an e-mail at guahanx@yahoo.com and I will send you one of our jujitsu gym t-shirts.

Joey

acidslap
10-20-2004, 07:39 AM
If you haven't done it yet good. Because you can permanently stop them from loosening by simply applying locktite on the threads before installing. Believe it or not this is something that GM doesn't do in all thier vehicles. Good Luck.

Add your comment to this topic!