Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tune-up from an acura dealership

HontegraGSI
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Hi i was wondering if anyone knows if its a good idea to get a trustful tuneup from people that acually know acuras and not those lil tune up shops that dont know what they're dealing with. i need my car to stay strong and healthy, it already has 200,000 miles on it! and maybe their tune ups can give more power? yes i know its MOYYY expensivido, please share your thoughts... thanks

integralover
09-30-2004, 02:16 AM
honestly, i would do it myself. the most difficult thing to do is the timing belt. so much to take apart. other than that it would take you no time to do it yourself.

joeblowme
09-30-2004, 11:42 AM
do it yourself your going to get rippped off at a acura dealership

boosted k20
09-30-2004, 10:32 PM
things are so easy to do yourself. basic tune up u will need to do the following:
Change ur brake rotors and pads-very easy 1 hour or more
Change fuel filter- takes 10 minutes; peice a cake
change oil and filter- 20 minutes; simple
change spark plug/plug wires/distributor cap and rotor-pretty easy to do- maybe 30 minutes
change air filter...might as well get a cold air intake-30 minutes for cai
change coolant/flush ur radiator-15 minutes.
not neccessary but change n ur 02 sensor will probably help out in ur gas mileage-30 min's
Change timing belt and water pump- probably the most hardest thing to do but it's not that hard to do. hardest part in doing this job is getting the crank pulley bolt off. i used an impact gun and it came off in 2 seconds. removing the water pump involves removing 4 or 5 bolts. you should do this after u flush and drain the radiator.
Make sure u set cylinder 1 to TDC 1st. loosening the tensioner bolt can be tough too. it's on pretty tight.
the technical part comes when u r line n up the cam gears when reinstalling the timing belt: the full job will take a beginner about 4 or more hours to do.

i might be forgetting some things, but u'll save a whole lot of money do n things urself. i never paid anyone to put in anything in my car. all work was done by me.

integralover
10-01-2004, 01:48 AM
the best way to know your car is to do these things yourself. kinda like when you have a girlfriend, you don't want some other dude flushing her system.

Add your comment to this topic!