Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Wrangler SQUEAK

tivocam
09-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I'm a Jeep rookie- just got my used 1997 Wrangler (2.5L auto) 3 weeks ago. Yes it has a few problems- but I still love it. The one in particular that has me ready to flip out is this annoying squeak, which only happens in drive and usually at lower speeds. Typically it happens when I hit a bump. Several friends think its behind the dash- but to me it sounds liek it could be under the hood or below the car.

Also, when it rains the back left floor and only the back left floor, gets pretty wet. I can't find the source of a leak. Wasn't sure if anyone else might have heard anything or a way to fix the problem.

Thanks.

fredjacksonsan
10-11-2004, 10:51 AM
On the '97, the bushings for the front sway bar rod are two part units, jointed in the middle for better articulation. On mine, it made a clunking or knocking sound with some squeak which got worse over time. Have somebody drive your Jeep by you and over a bump and listen. The sway bar bushings are near to the front of the front tire. Pretty easy fix but you need an oversized torx head if I remember right.

ShutUpJen
01-02-2005, 06:32 PM
i think i may have had the same squeak as you. it seemed to come from the dash or near the wheels. it would happen very sporadically. it ended up being the spring under my hood. a couple shots of wd-40 and away it went.

Add your comment to this topic!