Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine light

jcamry
09-29-2004, 10:42 PM
i have a 98 camry, the engine light is on showing code p0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected) i replaced the EGR valve, erased the light and it came back on 2 hours later. just wonder if anyone can tell me what might be the problem?
thanx

rob3
09-30-2004, 06:46 AM
i have a 98 camry, the engine light is on showing code p0401 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected) i replaced the EGR valve, erased the light and it came back on 2 hours later. just wonder if anyone can tell me what might be the problem?
thanx

My 96 had same error code, it was the VSV valve not the EGR valve.

ishop4less
09-30-2004, 09:18 AM
The EGR Modulator the one next to the EGR Valve is bad. It is common when you have over 100K miles, dealer items only and it cost $65-$75. (only takes 5 minutes to replace it)

jcamry
09-30-2004, 10:58 AM
The EGR Modulator the one next to the EGR Valve is bad. It is common when you have over 100K miles, dealer items only and it cost $65-$75. (only takes 5 minutes to replace it)

how sure are you that's the right part? the price of it here is $111.40
just paid $360. for the egr valve and dont want to replace any parts that are still working. would it be the filter that is bad or the valve itself?

ishop4less
09-30-2004, 01:53 PM
You should be able to return the EGR Valve if is not more than 30days of the purchased date. What you need is EGR Modulator for sure. I am in California and the price here is around $65-$75 at dealer. Every dealer has different price.

jcamry
09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
ok thanks .... do you know if EGR Modulator is the same on other years or models of toyota?

jcamry
10-04-2004, 10:17 PM
i bought a egr modulator from the dealer......installed it and erased code, the light came back on 1 hour later
any other suggestions?

Brian R.
10-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Assuming you have a 4 cyl. 2.2L engine:

Any of these could be the problem. Check for open or short in VSV circuit for EGR, a vacuum or EGR hose disconnected, check the manifold absolute pressure sensor for function.

jcamry
10-09-2004, 10:30 PM
still need help....took car to mechanic and they couldnt find the problem. have tryed all the suggestions posted, what should i do next?

nipsirc
10-09-2004, 11:39 PM
Read this same problem from another forum. The solution might be one of these....

Posted by: pgmomni

my car coded this am on way back from nursery school!
on the way to nursery school this am i did wot it to
get across busy route 17 and left rubber for about 10ft!
but all was quiet on the ride home!

until check engine light went on, car is riding just fine so far. i will reset the check engine light and see if it happens again. if it does then i guess i will have to look into my egr system.
pulled the following info from
the computer:

View / Vehicle Trouble Log / Problem 39

Overview
Time 09/29/2004 11:09 AM
Vehicle CAMRY I4 5sfe
CarChip K-0002-A
Trouble Code P0401
Description Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Engine Status
Fuel Pressure (Gage)
Intake Manifold Pressure 10.2 psi
Engine Coolant Temp 174.2 °F
Calculated Load Value 67.8 %
Engine Speed 2,115 RPM
Vehicle Speed 40 MPH
Fuel Trim Status:
Short-Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) -1.56 %
Short-Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2)
Long-Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) 0.00 %
Long-Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2)
Fuel System Status
Fuel System 1 Status
Fuel System 2 Status Closed loop; using oxygen sensor(s) as feedback for fuel control.

any feedback appreciated,
tks, pete

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: dj14901

I just had the same code 2 weeks ago, I reset it and it came back. I had the Vacuum switch replaced (the one related to the EGR Valve), and the code hasn't come back...

HTH -

DJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all the egr and related lines look, felt fine.
there was one going from the TB to the
left side, down to the thingamajig that looks like
a "choke pulloff" with i diaphram in it.
dont know the name of that part off the top of my head but its
vacuum line seem a little loose. so i snipped off 1/4 inch from both end and put it back on. its snug now.

i did find on one site that rated auto's reliablity that they
had listed the "egr lift sensor" as being a part that commonly needs to be replaced on the camry's.
perhaps that was there name for the egr vsv?

tks,
i will post again when the CEL goes back on or i find whats
wrong.
my camry is upto 161500 miles now and i am expecting to have to start changing a few things.

pete

Posted by: WortownSolara

im having the same code issues, except when im boosting i get this funky smell coming through the vents. i wonder if its this vaccuum switch that DJ had replaced

Posted by: Phi

clogged EGR or malfunctioning VSV perhaps?

so i guess today i gotta test the vsv as per toyota manual
and then if its not that pull/clean egr and TB.
pete

the egr and the egr modulator.
they seem to be working per spec.

need to get at the vsv as its all the way down low somewhere
under the intake manifold.

so maybe tomorrow i will put the car up on ramps and see what
if i can get at it vsv to test with digital multimeter.

pete

Posted by: chronoti

if you dont have smog testing you can always bypass the egr. i know it's a bad thing but it's a cheap altertive to buying expensive parts .....

its a CA model and has ultr low emisisions
design.
today i hope to test the VSV
and see if its bad.

i hate when things are "grey" as to wether they are bad or not.
meaning i almost hope the vsv is obviously bad, resistance readings way out of spec or just dead. then you just change the part and its fixed.
if it comes back within spec then i guess
next step is to remove EGR and clean its
base ect.

i do not have a vacuum gauge so i might goto a pawn shop here tomorrow and get one.

one of the benefits of EGR is to lower combustion temp's.

so thats why i dont like to bypass it!

pete

Posted by: ssolomo

So, what's the consensus here on what needs to be done? My wife's stock '01 I-4 Camry LE (65k miles) just had that trouble code come on the other day - I reset the computer this afternoon and it was fine for about 50 miles mix city/highway, 2 cold starts and 3 warm starts. Plus, I filled up the gas tank during this time. Came on back on on the highway.

I'm new to Toyota land, so forgive my ignorance when I don't know what a VSV is - or how to evaluate if it's bad or not and needs replacement.

I would like to get the Toyota manual on CD - I got one for my Ford Contour SVT and it's helped tons - then I don't have to bug y'all with stupid questions like this.

Thanks!

Steven

jcamry
10-10-2004, 07:52 AM
can anybody tell me where the vsv is on a 2.2 4 cyl.? in the haynes manual it shows it to the left side of the exhaust manafold but i cant seem to find it.does it look the same as a v6 vsv with 3 hoses on it? thanx

jcamry
10-10-2004, 07:53 AM
sorry i ment to say * right hand side of the exhaust manafold

Add your comment to this topic!