Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1978 Dodge Truck.....

Jake616
09-29-2004, 06:57 PM
I dunno If I am in the right forum (there was no w150 forums) so please redirect me (post a link) if I am in teh wrong place.

I have a 1978 Dodge W150 full size truck with a 4 speed manual trans, 360ci engine, full time 4x4, and just recently started planning modifications (I have owned it a little less than a month).

Anyways....I have some questions about things I can DIY and how hard/time consuming/ expensive they would be...so please let me know if you can answer those ?s on these items:

headers
body lift suspension lift
carb. install

I'd also like to know where I can find these items and what size you would recomend.

thanks!
-jake

praisethelowered
09-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Headers are cheap (< $100 on ebay), and are pretty easy to install, but will require a trip to an exhaust shop to make all the new pipes. Plus, you'll have to buy mufflers.

J.C. Whitney has a pretty cheap 4" lift ($360), and it can be done in your driveway, although it's much easier with a lift.

A carb install is trickier to install and can be expensive (several hundred dollars), and doesn't do much without an upgraded manifold.

Hope this helps.

Jake616
09-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks.

I am wanting a 3" Body lift and a 6" (or 8" if I can find one) Suspension lift so I will be able to fit 39" or so tires. Are the basics to this lift the same?

I am thinking of adding some headers to the truck but havent found any on Ebay for my truck unfortuantley....the good thing though is: I can legally run straight pipes :D It's a 1978 so they arent required where I live. I just don't know If I want too....

Any other bolt ons I can get that I will notice a difference with?

Thanks Guys!
-jake

praisethelowered
10-01-2004, 09:03 AM
A suspension lift over 4" gets more expensive because you need to use new arched springs in back instead of just lift blocks. Also, instalation gets more complicated because you are changing the angles of your driveline to a more severe degree. Adjustment of your axle angle with shims may be necessary. Also, you'll need some type of dropped pitman arm to keep your steering in line. A lift kit is pretty cheap and easy, but you will need a lift or a couple friends to help lift the body to install the lift blocks.

milkman1
10-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I used my cherrypicker to install my sons body lift on his ramcharger. He has a tota; of 11 inches of lift. running 44" tires. I can tell ya its a rolling nightmare!!! We have a auto spring company here so getting the springs rearched was simple. Pick up a copy of Off Road magazine and you'll find some stuff there. also j c whitney has some lift kits for the older trucks

Jake616
10-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Milkman- Do you care to share what make of lift you ahve and what you have in each (body/suspension)?

Praisethelowered- is that stuff included with a lift kit over 4"?

Thanks!
-jake

any pictures? :D

milkman1
10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Not really any make we have an auto spring company here in town so took the springs off and took down there and had them rearched. Did put a 3 inch body lift in it from the local parts store. Can see pics if you got to the www at the bottom of my post. Look under boy's ramcharger

praisethelowered
10-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Praisethelowered- is that stuff included with a lift kit over 4"?

The kit includes new front springs, lift blocks for the rear, and all necessary hardware.

Jake616
10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
The kit includes new front springs, lift blocks for the rear, and all necessary hardware.

So basically, a kit over 4" includes all the stuff I would ned for increased drivetrain angles and sterring stuff....but requires more work to install?

Thanks Guys.

How would I determine maximum tire size after a lift that I could fit?

Any other engine hop up ideas? I have a n2o kit sitting in my closet for one of my other cars lol...:-P

I also have a 318ci in my 1975 parts truck w/ 44k original miles, as well as another on an engine stand.... What would you build that one like (internals/bolts ons/ etc).

milkman1
10-06-2004, 07:48 PM
If the kit don't have the angel shims for the rear end. A good place to get them is out of a 78 ford Bronco. They have factory angel shims about 1/2 difference from rear to front of block. Gives your rear end a nice pitch. and keeps u-joints out of a bind. Also this would keep you from having to relocate you spring stands on rear end.

Add your comment to this topic!