Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Testors: Lacquer

ol' dude
09-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Has anybody used the Testors Lacquer yet? And if so how were the results? Is it a full lacquer or acrylic lacquer? Thanks!!!!!

Vric
09-29-2004, 04:06 PM
A thread was started few weeks ago about that.. few member was impressed. I still didn't had the chance to get my hand on one

Hawk312
09-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Painted with Testors laquer. :-) I am very pleased with it.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/930211-med.jpg

SpoonMan Dos
09-29-2004, 04:58 PM
I've used it and I love it, minus the almost $5 usd a can. It is lacquer paint and rivals Tamiya sprays. I'll post my '66 GTO painted with Testors Lacquer paint this weekend.

Highly recommended, plus you get licensed colors.

mike united
09-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Painted with Testors laquer. :-) I am very pleased with it.
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/502/930211-med.jpg

That paintwork looks simply stunning !!!
Where can we buy this new laquer ?
Mike

gasman03
09-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Testers new laquers are awsome. I can get better results with Testers (Model Master) then with Tamiya now.

mike united
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Testers new laquers are awsome. I can get better results with Testers (Model Master) then with Tamiya now.

Teaser !?! :grinno:
Tell me where you bought yours, can it be bought through a website.
Thanks, Mike

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-29-2004, 05:30 PM
I've tried three cans. The Ferrari red and Wimbledon White went on okay, relatively smooth but with a bit more orange peel than Tamiya.

My Big Bad Blue fiasco on my '70 AMX really pissed me off completely. The nozzle was the friggin' typical piece of shit that Testors has been foisting on us forever. The paint went on HORRIBLY and looked like SHIT. :banghead: :nono: :mad: I changed out the nozzle with an ancient can of Testors and it was fine....goddamn it!

Testors, if you're going to attempt to compete w/Tamiya, you'd better get your fucking quality up to par. Because by my experience, it's just like any can of Testors...you're playing Russian Roulette with your models. You might get good results, or you very likely might get disaster. That has NEVER happened to me w/a can of Tamiya. Sorry, but Tamiya is and remains the gold standard of spray cans. Case closed.

The Testors lacquer is very mild. It doesn't dry as hard as Tamiya (the sanded surface still feels sticky even when dry), nor automotive lacquer. If you can transfer the thick stuff to a cup and thin it a bit w/Gunze Mr. Color Thinner it sprays very nicely.

But BEWARE...you use this stuff enough and you WILL ruin a paintjob! It's Testors. Don't expect any better! You'd think these morons would at least offer the paints in bottles...but NOOOOOO...charge people more money for these same shitty fucking nozzles and cans....I'm not buying anymore, that's for sure!

Eric Cole
09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Testors new Lacquer System..... I hated it!! Took a lot of work to get to this point. Too much orange peel / overall texture. Took a lot of polishing and sanding. Haven't decided if I'll use it again or not. Probably will eventually.

http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/3705/1108000_0747-med.jpg?8661

ol' dude
09-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Can it be sprayed over Dupli-color acrylic lacquer primer or Plasti-kote lacquer primer? So its a 1/2 and 1/2 paint? Is it a hot or warm solvent? Can it be sprayed over Tamiya primer? Thanks Bob and Eric for the heads up, see you Sunday at the meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Can it be sprayed over Dupli-color acrylic lacquer primer or Plasti-kote lacquer primer? So its a 1/2 and 1/2 paint? Is it a hot or warm solvent? Can it be sprayed over Tamiya primer? Thanks Bob and Eric for the heads up, see you Sunday at the meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be compatible w/any non-enamel lacquer primers. It's very mild lacquer, it's not hot at all. Some auto enamels are very hot. Testors stuff is ultra mild.

Eric Cole
09-29-2004, 08:24 PM
mine was sprayed over Plastikote primer

RallyRaider
09-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Awesome finish there Hawk, was that obtained straight from the can or did you decant it and use an airbrush?

p9o1r1sche
09-29-2004, 09:01 PM
I used it on my Shelby Daytona Coupe. I agree with Zoom Zoom on most points. The spray coming out of the can is too heavy. The paint droplets are too big. Typical Testors spray can. I sprayed over Duplicolor Sandible Primer and had no compatibility problems. This is the slowest drying lacquer I've ever seen. I sprayed when the RH was about 50% and got a moderate amount of orange peel when clear coating. Polished out okay after a week of drying time. I will use it again, but Tamiya is still the king!

Veyron
09-30-2004, 05:23 AM
I couldn't get to go on very pretty but was able to polish it out after four hours in the food hydrator just like I do Tamiya's.

The Testor's clear polishes to a very nice gloss.

Don't like the spray pattern, the paint seems to come out in a pattern which is too concentrated.

Vric
09-30-2004, 08:14 AM
The Testor's clear polishes to a very nice gloss.

the last time I used the Testor gloss, it yellowed like crazy ! (just look my poor Enzo)

Have they changed that ? It's very glossy, but beside on very dark color, I wouldn't even try

ZoomZoomMX-5
09-30-2004, 08:37 AM
the last time I used the Testor gloss, it yellowed like crazy ! (just look my poor Enzo)

Have they changed that ? It's very glossy, but beside on very dark color, I wouldn't even try

Precisely why I won't bother with this "new" gloss clear...I was told by Testors that this new lacquer formula was the same as the old lacquer formula Glosscote and Dullcote. If you look at them in bottles, they're not clear...very yellow, and yellow more with age. Dullcote airbrushed over gloss is okay in thin coats. Thick coats of clear gloss? I don't even want to know how it will ruin some people's models after a short time of UV exposure. Not to mention the last time I airbrushed glosscote on a model, when I tried to wetsand and polish, the paint reacted very weird.

It's Tamiya for me if I'm lazy, it's House of Kolors/Black Gold or Cobra Colors if I'm using my airbrush. This Testors stuff just isn't worth me ruining a paintjob over. I paint a lot of cars, and this is the first bad paint job for me in over 10 years :mad:.

Add your comment to this topic!