95 Blazer fuel smell, losing power, eating gas, strange noise?

DCHunter
09-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Just had my fuel pump replaced, master break cylinder and new battery with alternator. Was driving on highway over 65 for a period of time, the service engine soon light popped up and when I slowed down, it sounds like an old truck, coughing while at a stop like it's going to shut off. Next day, it was fine. Drove on the highway again and same thing, except this time, now I get a whirring noise out of my tailpipe when I accelerate. Also, when I get gas, I smell the fumes inside the truck and when I'm at a stop, all you can smell is gas fumes on the outside. It's eating gas up too. I put some fuel injector/fuel system cleaner in it at the last two fill ups, and had to hammer the catalytic converter the last time. Heard a lot of junk dropping in there. But now it seems to be losing power, like it's clogged. Any ideas? I'm thinking of a whole new exhaust system! Or, maybe when he dropped the gas tank to put in the new fuel pump, something not right? It did pass emissions just three weeks ago when the fuel pump was replaced.

diggetydude
10-02-2004, 04:57 AM
Your power loss may be due to a bad EGR valve. I was told by the service manage at a local dealership here in Spokane that in higher mileage models a piece of carbon can break loose and clog the EGR valve, which in my case caused the Check Engine light to come on and I totally lost power, which is a bummer, because brakes get very difficult to use...I was coming off a freeway offramp, but luckilly late at night with no traffic on way to the dealership. Was on my way to get the ABS system looked at due to safety warnings issued on the internet. They said mine was not on the recall list, but have to have an ABS Pump Motor Kit installed to the tune of nearly $2000. The EGR fix cost me $450. I'm currently searching for another route on the pump motor...possibly a used pump, but understand it must then be callibrated to my vehicles individualized computer system. Anyone know of a good fix to this problem? I do have a minor gas smell, but only notice it after I shut the vehicle off and park.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls//Index.cfm
is a good place to review safety issues and recalls with your particular vehicle year. Hope some of this helps.

mjohn
10-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Do yourself a favor and search this thread...for information on the CPI unit...and the EGR valve...

Do not do or spend more money ... figure out what the problem is...and then repair...replace...Best Wishes...MJohn

wilfie27
10-02-2004, 11:11 AM
I have the same thing about once every other month on my way to work. My check engine light comes on...well, just what DCHunter said, but on the way home no light/runs fine. I believe it's an O2 sensor because if it is "dirty" it will not get the correct reading cause, it to dump too much fuel giving you the gas smell and bad idle.

BlazerLT
10-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Just had my fuel pump replaced, master break cylinder and new battery with alternator. Was driving on highway over 65 for a period of time, the service engine soon light popped up and when I slowed down, it sounds like an old truck, coughing while at a stop like it's going to shut off. Next day, it was fine. Drove on the highway again and same thing, except this time, now I get a whirring noise out of my tailpipe when I accelerate. Also, when I get gas, I smell the fumes inside the truck and when I'm at a stop, all you can smell is gas fumes on the outside. It's eating gas up too. I put some fuel injector/fuel system cleaner in it at the last two fill ups, and had to hammer the catalytic converter the last time. Heard a lot of junk dropping in there. But now it seems to be losing power, like it's clogged. Any ideas? I'm thinking of a whole new exhaust system! Or, maybe when he dropped the gas tank to put in the new fuel pump, something not right? It did pass emissions just three weeks ago when the fuel pump was replaced.

Looks like you need to check your EGR valve and pull your upper plenum and check for washing.

Look here for the CPI problem and what to do:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2000/techtotech.htm
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113559&highlight=cpi+replacement

EGR vlave you will have to pull, clean out the carbon chunks and replace with a new EGR valve gasket.

Do the EGR first but the smell of fuel means you have a HUGE internal fuel leakage.

1.) Don't drive it anymore until it is fixed!
2.) Check your oil and see if it is high and smells like gas.

AGAIN, DON'T DRIVE IT ANYMORE AND FIX IT OR YOU WILL LOCKUP YOUR MOTOR AND RUIN IT!

Add your comment to this topic!