Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 celica starting problems

scanlj
09-27-2004, 08:22 AM
I have been having a problem with my 88 celica gts. The car wont start sometimes. It will start when I go to work in the morning no problem after sitting all night, but if I stop somewhere for a few minutes and come back and try to start it, it wont start. If I get a boost it starts. It seems to be taking 14v to start rather than 12 v to start. We have replaced the starter and the battery which were the most likely suspects, but apparently that is not the problem. We were thinking about changing the ignition switch as well, but we are not sure about this. It is really frustrating because it just seems that there is not enough power to start the car and well we bought a Die Hard battery specifically for cold starts, which is supposed to be more powerful. The moment I get a boost from another vehicle the sar will start without any hesitation. Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about this problem? We have mainly had american cars so we dont know too much about foreign cars. PLEASE HELP if you can! Thanks.

-Jess

Brian R.
09-27-2004, 12:02 PM
If a booster battery starts it everytime, the problem is in your battery or the battery to cable connections. Make sure your connections are tight and clean, including the ground connection at the block.

Forget the ignition switch. Current for your starter doesn't go through the ignition switch. The starter relay handles this.

scanlj
09-27-2004, 01:27 PM
well its a new battery which has been tested, and apparently the old battery was fine too cause we tested that. The terminals are clean and the connections are clean, so its not those either. The starter is also brand new. Thanks.

-Jessica

Brian R.
09-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Did you check the ground connection on the block?

scanlj
09-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes, I believe so... I read somewhere that the 88 is infamous for this problem, and that connecting a relay to the starter may solve the problem....any thoughts?

-thanks again,

jessica

Brian R.
09-27-2004, 04:42 PM
You already have a relay in place. Make sure the ground connection is good, don't guess.

scanlj
10-01-2004, 10:40 AM
I wasnt guessing, my husband checked all that, and we were still having the problem, we had to put in another relay like that other site suggested, and it seems to be working great now. It starts really strong now. Thanks for all the suggestions :)

-Jess :smile:

mrgud
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
eerrrrm...
My Celica (mkIV) had the same problem... but since I drove a Zastava, I instanly knew what is it about...

My problem was that the car just stopped after 10min of driving, and didn't want to start...

The problem was in the alternator... (that shitty thing that fills power in the batery when the engine is working.

So... I removed the alternator, brought it to my electrician and the man fixed it in no time... the regler was broken... he said it was a first mechanical faliure on his Celica.

This might be the case... because the starter takes much power (in Amps, not Volts), and if the alternator is broken and does not give it back...

What does jour Volt meter show when driving? How much? Is it in green, ore midle?

This could be the case...

Dave88GTS
10-17-2004, 12:20 PM
I also have the same problem with my 88 celeica GTS. I recently changed the alternator and have a new batter. Waiting to see if this clears the problem. If like me, this only happens when the car is hot and if you wait, the car will start. Os course it does not help that the starter is under the exhaust manifold. Either the metal in the starter expands and wont let the starter spin or it may be the module on the firewall mounted up high behind the EFI systems as this seems to get hot as well. I think something is telling the computer that it is hot and tells the computer not to start right now. I do not think the relay was the fix because you would here the click. I am almost ready to put a new starter if I know this is the problem. But, I have lived with this problem for several years. If you get a definate fix, I would like to know what it is.

nialusa
10-17-2004, 03:21 PM
did you charge the new battery, cause new batteries are sometimes sold without much of a charge in them, and if it has been sat in the shop for a while it can loose some of its charge naturally. I made this mistake and felt like a right idiot when the guy in the shop explained that often new batteries are sold with no charge. Plug it into acharger overnight and see if that solves your problem.

Dave88GTS
04-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I have put in a new started and so far, so good. The problem is heat related, the metal in the starter expands and the solenoid sticks till cooled. I used to tap on it with a piece of wood which would jar it loose.

Genesisfactor
04-02-2005, 07:20 PM
OKay. Today has been a craptacular day. TO add to it, my 89 celica GT wouldn't start when i was supposed to drive my friend to the movies.

See, my timing blet was squeling like craazy for a day now. I dont't know why. I was supposed to get it checked out today by my mechanic, who happened to be in a bad mood and full of cars that morning. Well, i get to my friends house and turn of the car while waiting for him to get out. FInally, 30 mins later- never had this problem with girls yet, why a guy?- he comes out and then the car won't start. Its not the starter, batt's brand new, and held up when it shouldn't have had to, I think its the alternator (what was my first clue). It won't even turn over, the clicking of the starter isn't there and the batt holds goes just before the blue part of teh bar but hwen i turn it, everything dims and it goes halfway back down the white. So, thank GOD, its parked infront of my friend's house 45 mins away with no towing neccessary. Its my first car, and i really don't know what to do, ya know.

I was wondering if there was a quick fix to it, ya know. Tomorrow is my birthday- big 2-0, yay- and i wanted to see my girl and everything. any help would greatly be appreciated that i could implement midday tomorrow or something. Some time to see the one you love is better than no time, right?

Thanks again and God bless
GF

Dave88GTS
04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
It is not your timing belt that is squealing, it is the serpintine belt. it seems that your alternator is bad or the connection is bad. If you can jump start you car, then the battery is dying because it is not getting charged.

Genesisfactor
04-11-2005, 01:38 PM
thanks. It happened again, one week later. They replaced the starter (don't ask me why, i told them its the alternator). I meant serpentine belt,thanks for correcting me, i'm still not full on the terminology (first car, i've learned enough to take it apart and put it back together in about two weeks- GO MECs!!!)Yeah, its the alt. The mechanic replaced the starter. His pocket, not mine. i am thinking or replacing it if this belt stuff i bought at pepboys doesn't work. Its really annoying. Painting this car myself is the only think more annoying...though its gets you high, but you taste that paint in your mouth in the morning... Yes, that's why i'm disorganized in my structure...painted allll dayyyyy yesterday....and the day before....and the day before....clear coat time!

Dave88GTS
04-18-2005, 07:16 PM
If you are still having problems starting, check the the cold start injector, it is located on the EFI manifold. Mine was not tight after getting the fuel injector replaced, was leaking fuel and hard to start. I tightened it up and car starts like it always had.

djkurious
04-19-2005, 09:16 AM
i purchased new starter, battery, alternator, and that wasn't the problem. Wired up a relay on the starter and it has started ever since. The problem is that the computer acts like it needs 14v instead of 12v. The relay helped!

Add your comment to this topic!