Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

amp went into prot. and never came out

alphalanos
09-26-2004, 11:41 PM
i was messing around with my sub and after disconnecting the ground then reconnecting it, the amp went into protection. turned the car off for a while, check all conn. then tried agan...nothing. i have no idea what i did.

pac4eva5
09-26-2004, 11:45 PM
probably blew a fuse. if u dont have back-ups, i got a pack of 5 at walmart today for $1.50

alphalanos
09-27-2004, 11:59 AM
i replaced the fuse but it just keeps blowing out. all of the wires are the exact same way as they have always been. i dont know whats going on. i put the same type 15A fuse.

Haibane
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
you could have shorted the amp out

jncodave
09-27-2004, 12:06 PM
sounds like your ground isnt solid

alphalanos
09-27-2004, 12:10 PM
how can i test the connections? i have a voltmeter, what readings should i get?

Haibane
09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
well you should get about 12-14 volts on the power. and you should get 0 on the ground.

tblake
09-27-2004, 06:01 PM
yeah, its funny, but, if your amp blows fuses, there is something wrong. If you amp is in protection, and stays there, The amp is fried. What model amp is it? Wanna sell it?

sr20de4evr
09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
just because the amp goes into protection that doesn't mean it's fried....there are a ton of things that can cause an amp to go into protection without there being a single thing wrong with the amp.

Check the voltage at the power and remote terminals on the amp

Mannyb18b
09-27-2004, 06:30 PM
my amp went into protection like that. it turned out to be a blown fuse on the power wire.

alphalanos
09-28-2004, 03:11 PM
i checked the power wire fuse too; its fine. the amp doesnt get any power; or at least the power led doesnt light up when i have the system on.

sr20de4evr
09-28-2004, 08:22 PM
did you replace the fuse in the power wire or just look at it?

alphalanos
09-28-2004, 08:23 PM
all i did was look at it...what are you implying? maybe its loose or otherwise broken?

ec437
09-28-2004, 08:35 PM
yeah you should replace it to see.

sr20de4evr
09-28-2004, 08:48 PM
if it's an AGU fuse, the fuse itself can come detached from the end, it still looks normal from the outside, but it won't conduct anything. This has happened with 3 of my AGU fuses, I hate AGU....

tblake
10-02-2004, 10:23 PM
your amp is fried. If it keeps blowing fuses as you stated, and is in protection, its an internal amp problem, and cannot be fixed with just simply replacing the fuses. If you keep on sending current to that sucker, its gonna get worse and worse. Just for the sake of arguement, get a buddy's amp, and hook it up in your car with your hookups, if it works, and I bet you that it does, then you know your amp is fired. Although I have already concluded this. If your amp went into protection, and you shut your car off, and an hour later turned it on, and it was still in protect, that rules out heat as being the problem, and the fact that the protect light comes on tells me its getting the power it needs. The amp is fried, I am 99.9% sure. You can all doubt me, but I repair these things for a living. If you want, shoot me a model number, and I can quote you a repair price. Dont trust me? check my ebay feedback, jblake_54.

PaulD
10-02-2004, 11:23 PM
I have a magnetic circuit breaker on the amp power line, I love it

Haibane
10-02-2004, 11:25 PM
yeah... I had thought about doing those...

alphalanos
10-03-2004, 01:01 AM
so its most likely fried. what caused that? just a matter of heavy usage over time?

tblake
10-03-2004, 12:38 PM
could be a number of things. Transistors heat up, and short out. Are you hitting subs that use a lot of the wattage put out by the amp? Is it an old skool amp that might not turn off if it gets hot? Maybe a fried voice coil in a sub caused a lot of current flow, and shorted your amp out. Just to see if the subs arent causing it, unhook them, and try the amp, see if its still in protection. If not, your subs are fried.

sr20de4evr
10-03-2004, 12:48 PM
your amp is fried. If it keeps blowing fuses as you stated, and is in protection, its an internal amp problem, and cannot be fixed with just simply replacing the fuses. If you keep on sending current to that sucker, its gonna get worse and worse. Just for the sake of arguement, get a buddy's amp, and hook it up in your car with your hookups, if it works, and I bet you that it does, then you know your amp is fired. Although I have already concluded this. If your amp went into protection, and you shut your car off, and an hour later turned it on, and it was still in protect, that rules out heat as being the problem, and the fact that the protect light comes on tells me its getting the power it needs. The amp is fried, I am 99.9% sure. You can all doubt me, but I repair these things for a living. If you want, shoot me a model number, and I can quote you a repair price. Dont trust me? check my ebay feedback, jblake_54.

Just because a fuse stops conducting that doesn't mean it's blown....AGU fuses suck ass, they can break just from hitting a pothole, even if no current is being sucked through them at the time. I've "blown" 3 AGU fuses and my amp is in perfect working condition, because in each case the fuse never actually blew, the end just came disconnected from the actual fuse. When I pulled the fuse holder apart it ripped the fuse in half.

tblake
10-03-2004, 08:41 PM
True, but if he does use agu fuses, and he replaced it, wouldnt the amp work? A blown fuse stops all current flow going into the amp, If a fuse blew, the amp would not go into protection. It would simply not light up at all.

alphalanos
10-03-2004, 09:42 PM
i took the pwr wire fuse out and its ok. not broken apart or anything, i tested the wire and it reads 12.8. my sub still works too. still, this is the last time i buy rockford wires. ive had nothing but trouble from them.

sr20de4evr
10-03-2004, 09:54 PM
True, but if he does use agu fuses, and he replaced it, wouldnt the amp work? A blown fuse stops all current flow going into the amp, If a fuse blew, the amp would not go into protection. It would simply not light up at all.

LED's don't take much power to light up, the current from the remote wire would be more than enough to light up the protection LED.

Every time my AGUs broke the amp's protection light came on

sr20de4evr
10-03-2004, 09:59 PM
i took the pwr wire fuse out and its ok. not broken apart or anything, i tested the wire and it reads 12.8. my sub still works too. still, this is the last time i buy rockford wires. ive had nothing but trouble from them.

so you get 12.8V at the amp's power terminal?
how about at the amp's remote terminal?

So the sub still works on somebody else's amp but not on yours, right?

tblake
10-03-2004, 10:31 PM
True on the protect light, but I'm just saying I've never come across one that lights up protect when the fuse blows. I guess it is possable. It sounds like your amp got too hot, and a, or series of, transistors shorted out. What type and model number is this amp?

Haibane
10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
my amps had always went into protect when the fuse blew out...

Mannyb18b
10-04-2004, 03:16 PM
my amp when into protect when mine blew

tblake
10-04-2004, 10:28 PM
I've never had it happen before. Are we talking the fuse inline with the power, or are we talking the fuse or fuses on the amp itself?

sr20de4evr
10-05-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm talking about the one in the power cable

tblake
10-05-2004, 11:04 PM
like I said, I've never heard of this happening, but I suppose its possable. I dont deal with many amps, unless they are fried. Then I repair, and give back. I have no system in my car.

tblake
10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Dude, you are right, those agu fuses are the shittiest things to ever deal with. My friend and myself were dinkin with his amp and subs, and I think the power got grounded, and it somehow blew the fuse by the battery. I went to initally check it, and opened it up, and the fuse broke into 2 pieces. The wire did look fine however. So maybe the agu just got bumped, or a pothole. Who knows. At any rate. What ever happened to the good old fashoned blade fuses? The ones that you can spend 3 bux for a pack of 5 at the local hardware store, if I ever put an amp it, these are what I'm using. Peace out

sr20de4evr
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
hehe, yeah that's happened to me several times

I've switched over to ANL and MIDI now, they do the job well, the ANLs are just huge. I still have one AGU left in my car, as soon as it self destructs I'll curse it for a while and then replace it with another ANL.

Unfortunately those blade fuses don't get that large, I think you can find a 40 amp at the largest....I have a 200amp ANL, 150amp MIDI, 80amp AGU, and a 40amp MIDI in my car, so those blade ones wouldn't work out too well. You can use MAXI fuses which are similar, but they're huge and they still only go up to 80amp.

tblake
10-06-2004, 06:02 PM
oh, I got ya. Makes sense

crowtownsfinest82
06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all your help guys....my protection light came on and it was the fuse by the battery...looking at it, it looks fine but after I replaced it the protection light went off and my stereo is working great...thanks again

shahbaz
05-13-2013, 07:47 AM
check your all fuses and replace them if you can

Add your comment to this topic!