Oily sparkplugs

balltilleyefall
09-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I wanted to replace my sparkplugs and found oil on two of them, figured this is why my car makes a sputtering sound when I hit the gas, anyway, how do i get the oil out of the area my spark plugs are in. Oh and I bought a chiltons repair book. I just wanna know if anyone has had this happen and what they did to remove the oil.

civickiller
09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
is it alot of oil or just alitle oil ? are those 2 cylinders not firing ?

usually lots of oil on the spark plugs is either your valve stem seals or rings.

how much miles on the engine ?

sierrap615
09-27-2004, 12:49 AM
is the oil on the electrode tip or the inslator that attaches to the plug wire?

balltilleyefall
09-27-2004, 02:09 PM
ok, there's 223,000 original miles on the car, and the manifold was leaking oil near the gasket, so i replaced the gasket, . From the side nearest the timing belt (facing the car from dead on) the right side, plug #1 is fine, #2 had a little oil on the bottom, plug #3 lets say when i pulled the plug boot out it had oil around the part that goes over the plug itself, and plug 4 looked like it was working very hard (kind of burnt, looks corroded. my question is, is there a way to get the oil out of the cylinder the plugs are in without having to tear the engine apart. If there's no other way, Well hell, i guess I'll take any advice. Please help.

civickiller
09-27-2004, 02:43 PM
first off, waht kind of car is this so we can tell where the spark plugs are in relation to any oil thats in the area

balltilleyefall
09-27-2004, 03:05 PM
sorry, its a 1997 honda accord LX 2.2Ltr

civickiller
09-27-2004, 06:33 PM
if your talking about the plug wire and when you pulled that off you had oil on it, that means the rubber seal at the top of the spark plug tube is leaking, get new seals for the spark plug tube, they should come in a kit with the valve cover gasket also.

damn 223,000 miles on a 97 where you been driving

balltilleyefall
09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
ok so when i removed the sparkplugs , the oil went down into the area the sparkplugs screw in, how do i get the oil out .

integrasedan
09-27-2004, 07:14 PM
ok so when i removed the sparkplugs , the oil went down into the area the sparkplugs screw in, how do i get the oil out .

you're suppose to get the oil out before changing the sparkplug, or it will leak into the combustion chamber.

i have the same problem with oil in the sparkplug holes.

Before changing the sparkplug of an oil-filled hole, all i did is get a thin rag and use a chopstick to push it in the deep area and let the rag soak for a few minutes and all the oil is absorb. Then take out the spark plug and put in new one.

or you can use compressed air to blow out the oil so you can then wipe the area clean and take out the old one and install new ones. NGK's are recommended.

sierrap615
09-27-2004, 11:53 PM

if oil got into the combustion chamber, wait a few hours for the oil to 'soak' past the ring. then, with the spark plugs out, and the fuel injectors and spark fuses pulled, lay a cloth over the plug holes, then crank the engine for about 10 seconds to purge any extra oil out. reinstall plugs, wires, and fuses, and start the car, some smoke may come out of the exhaust, thats normal(if you like that smoke, i know how to make alot more :naughty: )

balltilleyefall
09-29-2004, 06:28 PM
hey, thanks, so far that was the best idea about removing the oil, i did it and could see the oil shooting out (car sounded like a lawnmower without the plugs in) but after i reconnected the plugs and everything else my 97 accord was still sputtering. help!

integrasedan
10-01-2004, 01:21 AM
i maybe wrong, but i think you might have heavy deposits on your valves and combustion chamber from burning or leaking oil maybe the cause of the sputtering.

you can try a 2 or 3-step cleaner. I saw at a shop called "Top End Cleaner" which suppose to clean junk out the fuel and intake systems. They run it through the intake vacuum lines or something. get an oil change afterwards.

sierrap615
10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
i maybe wrong, but i think you might have heavy deposits on your valves and combustion chamber from burning or leaking oil maybe the cause of the sputtering.

you can try a 2 or 3-step cleaner. I saw at a shop called "Top End Cleaner" which suppose to clean junk out the fuel and intake systems. They run it through the intake vacuum lines or something. get an oil change afterwards.

very good point, having 200+K miles that engine can not be clean, being a saturn guy myself, i have a million ways of cleaning the inside of a engine. seafoam, GM top end cleaner, or just tap water to a vacuum line. MMO, GM top end cleaner, seafoam, or GM piston and ring cleaner for the rings. sensor safe carb and choke cleaner for the intake manifold, throttle body, and EGR. plus a few others....

when did you take the manifold off, when did the problem start compared to that, and was there carbon build-up?

balltilleyefall
10-02-2004, 07:27 PM
i believe it was just the valve cover gasket i hope, but there was some leakage i could see from the valve cover seal, right above the manifold. And i believe and hope that it just a leak at the valve cover gasket. and not rings anything like that. But I'll try all them steps again in the morning, 1 stick a rag down in the spark plug chamber let it soak up as much oil as it can. (even though i did it already and we are still sputtering) 2.remove sparkplugs 2 and 3 and run the engine for about 20secs to blow out any excess oil that might be in there (even though i did that and we are still sputtering). 3. then i'll look for that top end cleaner (Autozone here i come). Guys keep the advice comming, cause this it the first time im really under the hood (except for changing the sparkplugs and the starter) and This was my first vehicle and he still looks nice and I'm not ready to trade him in.

sierrap615
10-03-2004, 02:07 AM
i would do this- http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=25237

Add your comment to this topic!