Help: Rear suspension weird noise?

Pages : 1 [2]

Bob MM
04-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Have been hearing the clunking noise for a while, especially at low speed. Found the forum and thought I was off to replace the swag bar bushings - made sense - but after a crawl under the car, they looked just fine, so I opened the trunk - I had done that before as I thoughtthat the jack was loose. Well, anyway, the problem was that the spare had gone flat and loosened the tension on the holddown bolt, so that the spare 'clunked' against the retaining nut and washer on each 'dip' of the rear wheels as the car went down and the spare tried to stay 'up'. Anyway, filled the tire with air and tightened holddown bolt, and all set! Been driving it for a few days, and noise is gone. May not be everyone's problem, but sure something to check!

hz0405
04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
hz0405,
You need two for the rear sway bar and they come in two. I bought mine at Napa. You can see the photo in any auto repair manual such as the Hayes manual.

Thank you. I bought two sway bar bushings from NAPA and will try them this weekend.
A few weeks ago an autoshop mechanic told me the problem was the sway bar link. The Teflon bushing at the end of the link is worn. It would cost $60+ for the link and $40 for labor. I will try the $12 sway bar bushings first and hope it will work.

hz0405
04-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Good news! The noise is gone after replacing one sway bar bushing. My car is now as solid as a rock. My problem was the same as what mrtwo discribed: noise happens when driving at low speed on bumpy road, like some metal jumping in the trunk.

The work was not as easy as I thought. It took me an hour to replace one bushing. If you can completely raise the car it would take you 10 minutes. Here is what I did: Raise the car with a jack. Remove the wheel. Now the bushing is very easy to access. Remove the two screws on the bracket that holds the bushing on the frame. Remove the bracket and the bushing. (Note there is little hook on the bracket that attaches the frame. Detach it from the frame otherwise the bushing does not want to come off). Polish the sway bar with emery cloth like Brian R. suggested. Put the bushing and bracket on the sway bar.

Now the problem came. When the sway bar is installed, it is preloaded. At free state, it is away from the frame. I have to push it hard toward the frame by one hand while try to align the holes and thread the screw with the other hand. I don't have a strong hand and not successful after several try -- exhaused. No one could help me because there is no room for third hand. My solution was to use another jack to push the sway bar up until the bracket touches the frame. From this point everything else was easy.

Compare the old and new bushing. One side (outside) of the old bushing is worn into oval shape, 17mm-18mm diameter. The other side is round, 16.5mm diameter. New bushing: 15.5mm dia.

I'd like to thank everyone in this forum, especially mrtwo who started it. This kind noise must be very common, noticing over 1400 visits to this forum.

lesnob
05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Everything concerning cars are expensive to me, So before I drive my car to the mechanic I always try something by myself.
I heard these clunking noises all winter before I discover Automotive Forum and this thread . Once I thought the noise was comming from the bushing clamps and the bushing of the rear lateral arm, I tried something to be sure it was comming from there. I strapped the stabilization bar with rubber tape to fill the gap causing the sway bar from sliding and make noise, and also fill the space at the bottom end of the rear lateral arm, where it was making noise when i was shaking it . The tape is still in place after 2000km and the car is now realy quiet. Since security is not a problem I decide to keep it in place without repalcing the parts. Here Car Quest and Canadian tire dont list it and Toyota ask 55$ + Tx for the sway bar bushing only. My homemade solution cost me few cents. I know I will have to fix it again and again as the rubber band will wear. Look at the photos in the gallery. I can now hear all the others cliks and pssssittt coming out from this 92 Údition..

kingpin5
05-25-2005, 08:33 AM
glad hz0405 got the problem fixed. Well, I am having tough time getting the parts. I ordered the parts at napaonline and they cancelled them on me saying they are backordered.

Anyway, i prefer ordering from partsamerica anyway. I was able to order the front sway bar bushings.

here is the direct link.. (hope you all can see)

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=TRW&mfrpartnumber=HB1755&parttype=77&ptset=A

I hope I ordered the right one.

However, I need help in ordering the Sway bar bushings for the rear. Can you guys help me take a look at the parts below and let me know which one will do the trick ? I got a 1998 Toyota Camry - 4 cyl - SOHC -Thanks a lot.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=77&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Sway%20Bar%20Bushing

Energy Suspension 85120G
Rear Sway Bar Bushing Set: Bar Diameter 16mm; Black
Ships in 2 days
Weight: 3 lbs.
$6.99

Energy Suspension 85120R
Rear Sway Bar Bushing Set: Bar Diameter 16mm; Red
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 2 days
$6.99

Energy Suspension 95122G
Universal Sway Bar Bushing Set: Non-Greaseable Type; Bar Dia. 18mm; Black
Ships in 2 days
$14.99

Energy Suspension 95122R
Universal Sway Bar Bushing Set: Non-Greaseable Type; Bar Dia. 18mm; Red
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 2 days
$14.99

Energy Suspension 95123G
Universal Sway Bar Bushing Set: Non-Greaseable Type; Bar Dia. 0.75 In./19mm; 2.0625 In. Bracket Size; Black
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 2 days
$14.99

Energy Suspension 95123R
Universal Sway Bar Bushing Set: Non-Greaseable Type; Bar Dia. 0.75 In./19mm; 2.0625 In. Bracket Size; Red
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 2 days
$14.99

Mcquay Norris FA7432
Sway Bar Bushing: Rear Suspension; To Frame
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 1 day
Weight: 0.3 lbs.
$12.99

Moog Chassis Prod. K90392
Sway Bar Bushing: Frt Susp; Problem Solver Bushing Kit; Includes Universal Mounting Bracket; 1 Required
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 1 day
Weight: 6 lbs.
$10.99

Moog Chassis Prod. K90392
Sway Bar Bushing: Frt Susp; To Frame; Problem Solver Bushing Kit; Includes Universal Mounting Bracket; 1 Required
1 Year Limited Warranty
Ships in 1 day
Weight: 6 lbs.
$10.99

mrtwo
06-26-2005, 03:40 PM
I used the 17 mm one for rear. but mine is 95.

mrtwo
06-26-2005, 03:58 PM
hz0405,

really nice summay. i replaced both. I agree the space is tight under the car, especially if u don't remove the tire like i did. I finished the 1st one pretty quick. But the second one took me longer because of the problem you said. This should be a pretty easy job if u have plenty space under the car. Maybe it is good idea if u ask a mechanic to replace it.

JennyDee
06-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I have had the same noise problems for the past 18 months too and had the rear struts replaced on my 1995 Camry. The noise seemed to be less, but it was still their.

Well I replaced the two rear sway-bar bushing and the noise is completely gone. The bushing size was 17mm for my Camry, but have the size checked with your VIN number to make sure.

It really is a must to use jack stands to get at these bushings without any problems. Also, use a 10 inch extension on your 3/8" drive as it makes it easier to clear the control arms. I had no problem getting the bushing out and installed in the right side, but the left side was a little more difficult for me as I had to approach it from the bottom. Using a small jack to move the sway bar back into position made it much easier. Boths side took me less than 25 minutes.

Make sure you always use Never Seez when replacing the bolts. Its good practice and makes someones life easier.

Yes, I did clean off the bar with steel wool as Brian suggested... <grin>

Jenny

mrtwo
06-27-2005, 10:26 PM
What is Never Zeez?

JennyDee
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
What is Never Zeez?

Sorry, I had spelled it incorrectly. Never Seez is a compound that fills the thread gap to insure that the part will not fret. It also lets you apply more torque to the bolt

http://www.bostik-us.com/products/index.asp?fa=categories&divisionId=6&categoryId=30

jtoyotaman
07-03-2005, 11:03 PM
if youve got a camry, i bet anything it is the strut, ive owned more than 30 i know that sound

Brian R.
07-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Actually, it is only necessary to use an anti-seize compound when you are putting a steel bolt or spark plug into aluminum. When you are bolting into steel at normal engine temperatures (not in exhaust manifold), oil is fine. Antiseize compound provides no advantage when bolting into steel except in the case of the exhaust manifold.

yours31
07-22-2005, 11:04 PM
WOW! I am a girl and just bought a camry last week !Noise in rear. No..not the strut, not suspension but 2 options. I had it looked at by 3 mechanics , no one knew ??? Guess what, after my Dad advised it could be my right wheel hub we discovered that it was 2 sperate noises. One is on the straight away ( muffler being DIRECTLY lined with the frame) and second noise from the right rear, especially going very loud over bumps and turning left , it was.......THE TRAILING ARM!!!( OR TRAILER ARM) I purchased for $40.00 at wrecker and $60.00 to install! TADA! No more noises. My Dad told me to post this as it seems to be a difficult problem to diagnose.

RickWP
07-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I had probably the same noise, sounded like somthing clunking in the trunk, I read somwhere on this forum about the same noise, someone suggested the rubber sway bar bushings, so I tried that, about 13 bucks at napa, the noise went away instantly. What a relief!!! the car sounded like a cheap piece of crap!!!
try that, it is a cheap fix and took no more than a half an hour to do

mrtwo
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
WOW! I am a girl and just bought a camry last week !Noise in rear. No..not the strut, not suspension but 2 options. I had it looked at by 3 mechanics , no one knew ??? Guess what, after my Dad advised it could be my right wheel hub we discovered that it was 2 sperate noises. One is on the straight away ( muffler being DIRECTLY lined with the frame) and second noise from the right rear, especially going very loud over bumps and turning left , it was.......THE TRAILING ARM!!!( OR TRAILER ARM) I purchased for $40.00 at wrecker and $60.00 to install! TADA! No more noises. My Dad told me to post this as it seems to be a difficult problem to diagnose.

Trailing arm? I think this may belong to a separate topic.

petetomo
08-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I took my car to Midas for the classic Camry rear suspension noise. It was as everyone has described, load at slow speeds and disappears on the highway. Midas told me I needed new rear struts and that it would cost $700 to replace them! What a bunch of crooks!

First of all, the struts have only 60K on them which isn't that much. Secondly, the dealership only charged $510 when they did this repair a few years ago and dealerships are notorious for being the most expensive for repairs. Thirdly, the struts they were going to put on were Monroe which cost $70/each max. That means that at $700 for a 3.5 hour repair, they were charging $160/hr! Lastly, when I read this forum, I changed the bushings and the noise disappeared.

Thank God I smelled BS when I heard it and didn't have Midas change the struts. I am not trying to badmouth the whole Midas chain. I have had several repairs done at my local Midas (North Plainfield, NJ) and I have always found them to be reasonable and friendly. But heed my advise and avoid the Midas in Nanuet, NY.

Thanks everyone for helping me target the true problem and saving me bundles of money.

kingpin5
09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Well, I am having tough time getting the parts. I ordered the parts at napaonline and they cancelled them on me saying they are backordered.

Good news. I got my problem fixed. I got the rear bushings, that i had tough time finding at Napa or AAP, at the dealer for $10 a piece.

The rear ones are real easy to replace. You will need to put the car on the lift though.

The ones in the front are more difficult. You will have to remove the axle for easy access.

Took about 30 minutes for all 4. (5 minutes for the rear).

The car drives great now.

By the way, before you start blaming any of the repair shops for not detecting the problem or fixing it, keep in mind, even the most experienced mechanics will find it hard to diagnose. Thanks to this forum, I was able to get this fixed, although i ended up replacing the struts first..grrr...

I also got the other famous oil leak fixed at the same time. I hope I am set for the next 100,000 miles or more..

Thanks again.

mrtwo
09-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Congratulations. BTW, you are not the only one who have their struts fixed first. haha

rubs
09-21-2005, 12:17 PM
I also have structs/mounts replaces for 400$ and still the same issue. somehow this part is not easily available. It will be great if someone can specify the exact part name (BUSHING - SWAY BAR BRACKET if this is not correct), and if can tell me the part number for 1998 camry that will be great. They have all these different kind of categories (which one is needed):

Sway Bar Bushings - Your Vehicle
Sway Bar Bushings - Universal
Sway Bar Bushings Greasable
Sway Bar Bushings Non-Greasable

Thanks
--rubs

Congratulations. BTW, you are not the only one who have their struts fixed first. haha

kingpin5
09-22-2005, 07:46 PM
rubs, like i said above in my post, contact the toyota dealer for the bushings. they are not expensive. i had a real tough time finding them at Napa, Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. infact the dealer could special order them too, if they are not in stock, if i am not mistaken - alteast that's how it worked for the nissan parts.

nick bamberger
09-22-2005, 09:20 PM
I had same problem, needed sway bar bushings. I just replaced both the bars. The rubber wears out and causes noise. It's hard to tell if there worn or not by looking, but they have the symptoms you described.

KenRosier
09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
I have this exact same problem with my '96 Camry. I had all new struts installed and the noise remained. My mechinac mentioned the the problem seems to be in a plate that the stut mounts to that has an alongated hole. I asume that this is the same thing as a strut mount but I'm not certain. The noise is very servere and had progressively gotten worse. It sounds like your going to loose you rear end on rough roads at speeds of 25 to 40 mph.

mgahan
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Thank you. I bought two sway bar bushings from NAPA and will try them this weekend.
A few weeks ago an autoshop mechanic told me the problem was the sway bar link. The Teflon bushing at the end of the link is worn. It would cost $60+ for the link and $40 for labor. I will try the $12 sway bar bushings first and hope it will work.

Just a quick FWIW. I am a very amateur mechanic with most of my experience limited to oil changes and the like. I decided to replace my stabalizer bar bushings and I'm amazed on how quiet my 98 Camry rides now.

The hardest part of the job was removing the stabalizer bar from the stabalizer bar links. The nut was somewhat rusty, but with enough penetrating oil and the use of an allen (hex key) wrench to hold down the ballstud, it eventually came out.

None of the local auto part shops had the bushings in stock, so I purchased them from the Toyota dealer at a little over $9.00 (USA) apiece. The bushings slipped on the bar nicely, but I did struggle a little with getting the stabalizer back on the car. The first time around, I had the bar ass-backwards ;-(.

Overall, with jacking the car up and putting on stands, the job took a a little over three hours, but I tend to work slow (A oil change will take me up to an hour).

Thanks for everyone's ideas on this. I feel like I'm driving a new car again.

Mick

Add your comment to this topic!