Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Subs Stopped Beating!!!!

Importaholic
09-24-2004, 09:18 PM
Just today I was riding around listening to music....i got 2 12" MTX 8000's...and they are running off a MTX 801D amp...and they just stopped beating....and I wasn't even listening to it all loud...so I turned off the music...I checked the amp...and it literally burned my hand...REALLY HOT!!....then 10 minutes later...I checked the subs again, and they were working....I checked wit MTX..and they that a sub is about to go out...but he seemed like he didn't know wat he was talkin about...PLEASE TELL ME WAT TO DO...WATS WRONG..IS IT THE AMP OR THE SUBS???

Thank You!

Haibane
09-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Sounds like your subs are wacked... You most likely have been clipping the hell out of your subs for a while. How was it setup?

Importaholic
09-24-2004, 09:40 PM
wat do you mean clipping???.......and I let best buy set it up

Haibane
09-24-2004, 09:54 PM
There is your problem right there ;)

Did you play with your gains after it was installed?

TFFantasy44
09-24-2004, 10:22 PM
If the amp was that hot, I bet it's about to go to. I'm thinking your whole set-up needs to go, and in a direction opposite of Best Buy.

Haibane
09-24-2004, 10:36 PM
I think it was just wired too low of a load, or it was clipping

tblake
09-25-2004, 12:30 AM
if your subs get too much power, the voice coils inside them, will sort of melt, and fuse together, causing one big short. Get what I'm saying? Maybe not? This short caused a drop in impedence, and your amp probably can only handle 2 ohm at the lowest, so it got really hot, because too much current was flowing, and it shut itself off due to its protection mode. Catch all that? Sounds to me like your subs may be shot, or really close to it. May want to look into fixing the problem before your amp needs it too.

Haibane
09-25-2004, 12:36 AM
good idea!

Importaholic
09-25-2004, 12:42 AM
I didn't touch anything after it was installed...i just left it as it is....and I didn't buy the stuff from best buy...i just had them install it...and can you plz explain wat clipping is?????..god dam..I just bought this shit like a month ago...can't believe it already gone to shit!!....

Haibane
09-25-2004, 12:58 AM
get them to replace it...

www.bcae1.com

tblake
09-25-2004, 12:59 AM
blow the subs, andhave them replaced, you must have a warrenty.

Importaholic
09-25-2004, 01:09 AM
I do have a warranty....for a year til next august...and i got warranty on the amp for another 2 months...If I blow them....they'll replace them..right?

tblake
09-25-2004, 11:47 AM
should be replacement free of charge.

Haibane
09-25-2004, 01:35 PM
They are blown IMO, so no need to worry about the if part :)

Importaholic
09-25-2004, 06:36 PM
thank you very much for all your responses...I really appreciate it!!!....cleared up a lot of info!!!!

Importaholic
09-26-2004, 12:53 PM
I just got back from a MTX dealer, and I had them take a look at my subs, apparantly, my amp got overheated, and before It did any damage to itself..it shut itself off...he said there aint nuttin wrong wit the sbus, and that I should be a fan for my amp...went ahead and did that, lets hope nuttin else goes wrong here...*knock on wood*

CBFryman
09-26-2004, 01:15 PM
I didn't touch anything after it was installed...i just left it as it is....and I didn't buy the stuff from best buy...i just had them install it...and can you plz explain wat clipping is?????..god dam..I just bought this shit like a month ago...can't believe it already gone to shit!!....

FYI clipping is when the amp, head unit, EQ, or active crossover is trying to prodice a louder signal than it is made to...this can be caused by poor engineering, too high of an input, or the fact that it is a POS and should never be bought...anyways...the top of the sine wave becomes "clipped" or sortof squared off...this causes the sensation of being louder and the amp does produce more power persecond but it is highly distorted...in extreme cases the wave can become "square" if you have a signal generator that shows what the wave you are putting out looks like it usually also has a distortion option...put it on square and play the same frequincy..it will play an extremely clipped sine wave...sounds very ugly...the proper way to prevent this is to start at the head unit...get an ociliscope...some people prefer a sweep from 20-20,000HZ some people just play any old sound bite...plug the RCA cables into the ociliscope and start at 0 volume on the HU and turn it up untill yo usee distortion...this is the loudest you should ever play your HU with out risking damage to EQ, crosover, amp....next go to EQ or crossover and turn the HU up to the point at which it is loudest with out distortion...plug the output from the EQ or crossover into the ociliscope and turn the gain up untill it is loudest without distortion...go to amp and repeat...repeat for any signal altaring device between the HU and amp...if you arent a proffesional installer or just dont have the cash to buy a ociliscope yo ucan play by ear...turn all crossovers EQ etc all the way down and start at the HU...play a soundbite you are extremely familure with...turn the HU up untill you notice distortion, the level at which is highest with no distortion is the highest you should play your HU...repeat for EQ, crosovers, amp, ETC... if you really want to hear a clipped wave get a guitar and amp and put distortion all the way up and turn the amp all the way up (or as loud as you/your neighbors can handle) and just pluck at strings...then turn the distortion off and pluck the same strings...sound very different doesnt it?.... :sunglasse

Add your comment to this topic!