Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spray paint question

will69camaro
09-24-2004, 07:27 PM
My girlfriend is building a replica of a friends 90 GT drag car from a 93 cobra revelle kit. She has finally made it to the painting stage having already made the interior and roll bar match exactly, a parachute mount, a custom cowl hood to match the car and tubbed it to fit the larger tires. She is trying to use Krylon Gloss Black (having already tried, Duplicolor Gloss Black and Colorplace) but she's having a little problem. When she painted it with the Krylon the paint seemed to "fog" or got really flat looking and it cracked and bubbled in places, in some places it looks like the paint just wrinkled. What could be the cause of this? The body was prepped very well i believe and we havn't had this problem before. This is also the first car she's tried to spray paint since we've recently moved to a much more humid place (college station, TX), could that have anything to do with it? What do you suggest to help her finish this. It's a Christmas present for a friend so it needs to be done soon and since his car is also a show car the paint has to be near immaculate.

Thanks a ton,
William

StephenDeli
09-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Well I beleive your problem is a surface contaminant and spraying the paint too thick. Cracking tells me it something was under the paint or it disagreed with its primer(other brand?). The bubbles means you sprayed too thick. The humidity might have had to do with the flat look though. But the physical problems with the paint were not. I suggest it gets a bath in brake fluid and you repaint. It would be a royal pain to sand those bubbles out(experience). Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!