Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Dodge Ram--P1491 fault code

atv_babe
09-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Can anyone help me figure out what this code is and how to fix it wihtout paying big bucks? We took the truck to autozone and they scanned for the code. P1491 is what they came up with but said it was an OEM code and couldn't tell us anything else. All help is appreciated.

moparboy99
09-24-2004, 09:21 PM
check and make sure you gas cap is on tight

Dman2003
10-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Did you fill the tank with the motor running

hotrod314
10-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Can anyone help me figure out what this code is and how to fix it wihtout paying big bucks? We took the truck to autozone and they scanned for the code. P1491 is what they came up with but said it was an OEM code and couldn't tell us anything else. All help is appreciated.
I had the same code and same prob i found the code was for my a/c condensor fan i found my fuse was blown. i put a new fuse in and dissconnected the battery for a min and the code went away that was my prob maybe it will help u.

atv_babe
10-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replys. We had the Dodge dealer hook it up. It was the a/c fan and a fuse.

Dodgepower76
11-13-2004, 07:08 PM
hey I have the same problem with that code.. I got 2 different sayings.. one person said it was Radiatior relay switch and then the other person said it was a Secondary Switch Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. So what is the deal? Any ideas? thanks

jrmcx
11-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Don't know if this helps

http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl399a-lib.htm

hundahunta
11-14-2004, 01:26 PM
p 1491 cooling fan radiator relay circuit!

kaliman198117
01-08-2006, 08:57 PM
hey I have the same problem with that code.. I got 2 different sayings.. one person said it was Radiatior relay switch and then the other person said it was a Secondary Switch Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. So what is the deal? Any ideas? thanks

I have the same problem but can anyone tell me what the hell es Secondary Switch Solenoid Circuit Malfunction? i mean i don't know if is a a/c because i don't even use it. Any help would be appreciated i did got the code p1491 on the scanner but i have no idea what to do. Somebody help me please, and thank you

Stevo2
01-15-2006, 03:53 AM
P1491

SYMPTOM
P1491 - Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit

POSSIBLE CAUSES
An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control relay control circuit. This includes PWM solid state relays. The manufacturer doesn't provide any further information regarding this code.

NOTE: This vehicle is not equipped with Radiator Fan Control Relay, however the vehicle does have a Condenser Fan Relay.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/08-015-02.htm

1thunder
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
there is a service bulletin for this problem #08-02-03 consists of replacing condensor fan shroud & motor and reprograming the pcm if not done fuse will burn out randomly worst in cold weather

ringlett1
08-18-2006, 01:40 PM
I had the same code and same prob i found the code was for my a/c condensor fan i found my fuse was blown. i put a new fuse in and dissconnected the battery for a min and the code went away that was my prob maybe it will help u.
Boy is the internet great or what, you guys directed me straight to my problem, being the blown fuse.Thanks

eric Ram
03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
:banghead: Can anyone tell me where this fuse is? Which one?

Thanks.

1thunder
03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
it's in the pdc {fuse box} under the hood it's a 25 amp fuse at the centre row at the very end towards the engine

eric Ram
03-28-2007, 07:40 AM
OK, I replaced the fuse and disconnected the battery but I still have the check engine light on and the P1491 code, any suggestions. THe truck has almost 90K on it. If there is a tSB on this, wouldn't this be covered since it is a design flaw, and probably should have been a recall.

Taylor44
05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I had this same problem with my '02 Ram .. Dealer wanted around $300 for a new fan/shroud/labor ... I declined, bout the fan myself, decided to try the fan prior to installing it, the fan didn't work .... Oh also bought a relay as the dealer said I would need as well...replaced the relay and plugged in new fan .. nothing worked .... sure enough, I checked the fuse and bingo.. so it ended up being a .17 fix and a lot of trouble by listening to the stealer ... anyway, I also learned later that in the winter, water can get in the shroud and freeze the fan, locking it up and popping the fuse .... to fix that problem, drill a few hole in the bottom the shroud allowing water to drain and not freeze.. Or carry more fuse's :-)

1fgmtnbyker
06-17-2007, 09:33 AM
I had this same problem with my '02 Ram .. Dealer wanted around $300 for a new fan/shroud/labor ... I declined, bout the fan myself, decided to try the fan prior to installing it, the fan didn't work .... Oh also bought a relay as the dealer said I would need as well...replaced the relay and plugged in new fan .. nothing worked .... sure enough, I checked the fuse and bingo.. so it ended up being a .17 fix and a lot of trouble by listening to the stealer ... anyway, I also learned later that in the winter, water can get in the shroud and freeze the fan, locking it up and popping the fuse .... to fix that problem, drill a few hole in the bottom the shroud allowing water to drain and not freeze.. Or carry more fuse's :-)
Did the problem ever come back? What other issues may cause the fuse to blow? I live in Southern Cal so any water freezing in the shroud is unlikely. Since you have a new fan do you think your old fan motor may have caused the blown fuse? I'm having the same problem and my fuse was blown also. I replaced it and now it works but I'm not sure if I trust it. Shouldn't there some reason why a 25amp fuse will blow? Can a fuse blow without a problem? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this corrected before the hot summer months.

Taylor44
06-18-2007, 02:28 AM
I took the fan back... I simply replaced the fuse and the problem has not come back.. that has been a couple years now.

RenneSuprise
02-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I just changed my fuse and cleared the code yesterday. The fan seems to be working just fine. Hope it keeps chugging along. So, does anyone else think this smells like a freebie to the dealerships' service departments? "Oops, how did we ever manage to misdesign this circuit so that it pops a fuse randomly and then throws a cryptic, proprietary code?" Gotta love the Internet as a way to level the playing field, if only a little!

cnegley3rd
03-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Got the same code P1491, found this forum online and checked the fuse. Was blown. Put in a new fuse, cleared the code, fan works, and check engine light is off. Thanks for all the help.

StephenD
07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I have the same problem, fault code P1491. I found the AC Condenser fan fuse blown. Replaced the fuse. Not blown. Reset the computer. But, the fault keeps coming back. Does anyone have a final resolution for this???

stocksen9
11-21-2008, 07:57 PM
WOW!!!!! Indeed in my case it was the 25A. fuse for the a/c fan circuit. Sure enough was the first cold day of the year- 25 degrees here in Michigan. I changed the fuse and reset the code with the handheld analyzer and poof problem fixed. No expenive trip for me to the dealer or parts!!! Hope this helps- just look under the fuse cover for the fuse location which is located under the hood next to the battery.

brian424
03-30-2009, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that this error must be very common because I’ve seen it twice now. Once at 75k miles and recently again at 96k. Both times I forgot to remove the battery cable after replacing the fuse and both times the check engine light failed to extinguish. Once I removed the battery cable and reconnected, the check engine light went out. Hope I can remember to do that next year, because I’m sure the fuse will blow again.

sburnside2
07-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Same issue and same solution, thanks all.

sUSIE018
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.identifix.com/img/onepx.gifBurned fuse number 39 in the Power Distribution Center due to condenser fan drawing high current. Also can be caused by water leaking into shroud and freezing.
The TSB involves replacing the condenser motor and reprogramming the PCM to alleviate repeat blowings of the fuse. That's why the "stealers" recommended replacement of the motor, shroud and PCM. Either fix it (if fuse continues to blow), or stop whining about how dealers are ripping you off.
A TSB is not paid for by the dealer. The TSBs are there to help techs find common problems faster, thus saving you money. Recalls are done when they decide the losses from lawsuits will outnumber the cost of performing a recall, or when they have severe safety concerns as a result of the problem.

00husaberg
01-31-2010, 06:44 AM
I found that P1491 related to a blown fuse (25A) for the A/C condenser fan. A/C fan would not engage when engine was warm and A/C on. My mechanic also noticed that my fan clutch was going out as it was turning really slow, it really should be roaring. It could be that the A/C condenser fan was having to work overtime to compensate for the engine fan, hence blowing the fuse. Both fans work great now, all in all, $160 for parts and labor.

Robbob6
04-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Very helpful stuff. With a check engine light on, I couldn't get the 2002 Ram 1500 smogged. I got the same code fault from a local mechanic who scanned it and said the computer needed replacing. I found this thread, checked that fuse and sure enough, that fuse was blown. The check engine light stayed on until I disconnected the battery, I drove the truck until the sensors all reset and no check engine light. Then it passed smog with no problems.

bfuri
09-10-2011, 08:20 PM
This thread saved me a lot of time and money. My A/C was only working when I pressed on the gas and then my engine light came on. I went to autozone and had my code read. Telling me that my relay, wiring, fan or my computer was bad. After reading this thread, I checked my fuse box, and my 25amp fuse was blown (located in the middle of the fuse box under the hood, closest fuse to the engine.) I went back to autozone, picked up a fuse and now everything is great. A/C works, engine light is off and I have not had any problems since. Thank you to everyone who posted. Been a great help!

Chris Stewart
09-11-2011, 09:40 AM
So the '02 has an extra fan in front of the AC condenser?
I'll check to see if any other years had them.
I see they're on up to 2006, maybe even later.

ssloan47
10-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I had the same problem. I used an inexpensive code reader called CODEKEY. After reading all your comments, I found the fuse you mentioned had blown. I replaced the fuse then using my CODEKEY reader, I erased the code. Thanks for all your comments.

IfYouAintCav
12-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Well, I hope you guys with the blown fuse are right. I got the same truck, same problem, and my fingers crossed that the fuse is blown. I will let y'all know if I have a different issue.....like a bad flux capacitor, or a blown canooter valve.

banannaclip
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
i had this issue check engine lite came on,went to auto zone the checked it gave the code number then i came home googled it found this forum read past entries , its fuse 39, for the cooling fan i replaced the fuse inspected the wiring and fan found nothing abnormal see what happens not sure why the fuse blew but i saved money total cost was 4.88 for parts what would the dealer have dunno ?

cblockcolorado
04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone - thanks for the info, I had same issue -- 1 blown fuse replacement and I'm ready to pass emissions. Thanks!

Chris Stewart
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the update.

TrucksRforGirls
07-31-2012, 07:45 PM
I have the same problem, failed inspection in NJ for this same code. BTW, have been having this weird problem with the a/c...whenever we stop at a light/stop sign or even still moving below 30mph, the a/c gets warm, it still blows nice, but doesn't stay cold. This was seen in forums to be the fuse also....funny huh?

JimInTexas
05-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Went looking on line for the cause and to decipher the fault code. Found the answers in this thread - burnt fuse. Thanks one and all.

Chris Stewart
05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Welcome to the site and thanks for reporting your success!

jusacarguy
07-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Guys, 02 slt 5.9l. Same code(p1491), fuse not blown, fcm changed, controls chanded, fluids pressure correct, condensor fan works, only thing I havent changed is the compressor or pressure switch. But, heated mirrors, AC, heat,and adjuster all dont work. This is sumthing much bigger than me right now, can someone help me with this? Cause all of this failing cant come from a pressure switch nor a compressor. Heated mirrors have nothing to do with those things. Help!

Chris Stewart
07-22-2013, 09:29 PM
P1491, Radiator Fan Control Relay Circuit.
An open or shorted condition detected in the radiator fan control/relay control circuit. This includes the PWM solid state relays.

I guess the solid state relays need checking too.

Trentac
04-06-2014, 05:36 PM
2002 Dodge Ram P1491 Code.
Thanks everyone.
I did find the Condensor Fan Fuse #39 25Amp blown.
I replaced it and the fan works now.
I cleared the code with my $19.95 Autel Maxiscan MS300 code reader.
The Trouble Light on the dash went away.

Chris Stewart
04-07-2014, 03:20 PM
2002 Dodge Ram P1491 Code.
Thanks everyone.
I did find the Condensor Fan Fuse #39 25Amp blown.
I replaced it and the fan works now.
I cleared the code with my $19.95 Autel Maxiscan MS300 code reader.
The Trouble Light on the dash went away.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ram2002Hobbier
04-12-2016, 09:31 PM
I had an instance with the same MIL code. Initially checked the wiring. Did not notice anything unusual. In a web search ran into the AF, all the comments gave me a lot of in depth clues to follow. Checked the relay, it had low resistance. Checked the fuse, it was not blown but the casing was melted up to the PDC bottom. The only thing I did not check was the fan. Following all the ideas suggested here disconnected the battery. I bought a relay and a fuse and replaced them. Then reconnected the battery and took a big sight. I did not know the condition of the fan. I turned the ignition on and looked for any smoke, but Walla! The MIL cleared and the fan started roaring like a big cat. I hope it continues to work thru the summer. After all that I opened the relay and found that the coil was also open. This happened at 83000 miles. I hope this helps you guys. Thanks for all the help you all:):biggrin:

Ram2002Hobbier
04-12-2016, 09:56 PM
:wink::)I have the same problem, fault code P1491. I found the AC Condenser fan fuse blown. Replaced the fuse. Not blown. Reset the computer. But, the fault keeps coming back. Does anyone have a final resolution for this???
I had an instance with the same MIL code. Initially checked the wiring. Did not notice anything unusual. In a web search ran into the AF, all the comments gave me a lot of in depth clues to follow. Checked the relay, it had low resistance. Checked the fuse, it was not blown but the casing was melted up to the PDC bottom. The only thing I did not check was the fan. Following all the ideas suggested here disconnected the battery. I bought a relay and a fuse and replaced them. Then reconnected the battery and took a big sight. I did not know the condition of the fan. I turned the ignition on and looked for any smoke, but Walla! The MIL cleared and the fan started roaring like a big cat. I hope it continues to work thru the summer. After all that I opened the relay and found that the coil was also open. This happened at 83000 miles. I hope this helps you guys.

Chris Stewart
04-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the useful info!

Pug mike
01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Hey guys
Just wanted to thanks for all the useful info on this problem
I too simply replaced the fuse as it was indeed blown, cleared the code and my dash is clear again.
Keep on posting

Chris Stewart
01-23-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks for sharing!

Mrgarcia84
10-09-2019, 01:58 PM
I bought 02 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 code 1491 keeps coming back fuse 39 not blown I’ve replaced relay and removed code. As soon as I turn ac on it triggers the check engine light back on. The ac fan will only kick on if I remove fuse 39 and put it back in but the ac has to running when I do so. The minute I shut the truck off I have to repeat the process to get the fan to blow. I’ve tried to reset the code and not run the ac to reset the drive cycle but light came back on twice at around 80-85 miles into it. Any ideas what I could do next. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Add your comment to this topic!