Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbo question

soon_2b_evil
09-24-2004, 02:29 PM
im new to the skyline world.
Im in the process of getting a R33 and i wanted to know if a stock block can handle T51R KAI (56T) A/R1.00 or a T04R 63T A/R 0.96.

Also would i be better off running a Single turbo setup or twins?

Its mostly going to be a street car and i would take it to the track about 5times a year. As for the street HP i would like to get about 450hp to the ground DD if possiable.
I add it up and everything and so far the mods that i want to get is about 12g's.

Can you please give me some info?

SkylineUSA
09-26-2004, 02:04 PM
The truth is out there, look it up. Use that search function, it really does work.

If you have a real question, then we can talk:)

R33
09-26-2004, 07:01 PM
im new to the skyline world.
Im in the process of getting a R33 and i wanted to know if a stock block can handle T51R KAI (56T) A/R1.00 or a T04R 63T A/R 0.96.

Also would i be better off running a Single turbo setup or twins?

Its mostly going to be a street car and i would take it to the track about 5times a year. As for the street HP i would like to get about 450hp to the ground DD if possiable.
I add it up and everything and so far the mods that i want to get is about 12g's.

Can you please give me some info?

Hi. Welcome to the GTR world. Am sure your 33 will give you many years of driving pleasure.
If you are gunning for "just" 450hp on the wheels without touching the engine, IMHO the turbines you are proposing are a bit too big for such application. These are big single turbines (although not as big as T78/88) and without changing the cams/pistons etc you would not be able to squeeze their potential.
For a mostly street driven GTR and track job of about 5 times a year with 450hp, I think you would do better with a GT2510 or GT-SS. These are excellent twins with loads of response and will give you 450hp without flinching. But of course, bigger injectors, more reliable fuel pump and tuned ecu are a must. In fact, Personally, I would run these turbines even with the stock cams! The biggest turbines I would suggest for your intended purpose would be the GT2530s.
That's my 2 clams worth. Happy driving. :smokin:

R33
09-26-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh, BTW, the stock block has been known to churn out 1000-1300hp!

soon_2b_evil
09-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Hi. Welcome to the GTR world. Am sure your 33 will give you many years of driving pleasure.
If you are gunning for "just" 450hp on the wheels without touching the engine, IMHO the turbines you are proposing are a bit too big for such application. These are big single turbines (although not as big as T78/88) and without changing the cams/pistons etc you would not be able to squeeze their potential.
For a mostly street driven GTR and track job of about 5 times a year with 450hp, I think you would do better with a GT2510 or GT-SS. These are excellent twins with loads of response and will give you 450hp without flinching. But of course, bigger injectors, more reliable fuel pump and tuned ecu are a must. In fact, Personally, I would run these turbines even with the stock cams! The biggest turbines I would suggest for your intended purpose would be the GT2530s.
That's my 2 clams worth. Happy driving. :smokin:

ok thank you for the info.
I was looking around the net and saw the MINES R34 with the RB25dett with there stage2 motor. I think it it had Twin GT2530's. That motor is crazy and the reponse on the motor is amazing. Anyone have a motor like that? I was also on there website which is in all Japaneses and looked around and if i remember that stage2 motor is like 15g's i think my converson could be off.

Also the stock block can take 1000-1300hp? thats amazing, i remember reading somewhere and i think they said the stock Rb26dett could only handle 750hp without changing rods and pistons.

Thanks for all your info.

RazorGTR
09-27-2004, 12:07 PM
ok thank you for the info.
I was looking around the net and saw the MINES R34 with the RB25dett with there stage2 motor. I think it it had Twin GT2530's. That motor is crazy and the reponse on the motor is amazing. Anyone have a motor like that? I was also on there website which is in all Japaneses and looked around and if i remember that stage2 motor is like 15g's i think my converson could be off.

Also the stock block can take 1000-1300hp? thats amazing, i remember reading somewhere and i think they said the stock Rb26dett could only handle 750hp without changing rods and pistons.

Thanks for all your info.

I believe you may be mistaken, as no way would Mines put a twin turbo on a GTT, they also pretty much stick to GTR's but will do the odd non-GTR on a rare occasion. If you are referring to the "Ultimate Responce" video that was an R34 GTR in which they went beyond what they normally do and replaced cams and other various bits.

As far as hp a stock motor can handle well hell I'm sure it can take 750hp for a very short time before it handgrandes. The pistons, rods, and rod bolts are not the strongest. A good rule of thumb is if you want to produce over 500hp do the internals. The factory forged crank is a bit of a mystry. I've personally seen an R33 GTR making 835hp on one, and have heard stories of the going to 950hp but again at that sort of power level they won't last long.

As said 2510's or GT-SS's will make the power you are looking for without going over board on turbo size. You will need to change injectors to a size of about 650 but I would recommend 720's so you are not driving them to hard. The standard cams may make that for you or you could go to a set of Trust street cams which you don't have to change the valve springs. Just don't plan on reving it past 8,500 rpm or you could ask for big trouble. You'll need to change the front mount and fuel pump also, along with an ecu upgrade for the R33 or R34.

Right now I'm making an honest 450hp with factory turbos. The car is going back in for a retune in a week's time as I've put a much larger front mount on and had my airflow meters reconditioned. The nice thing with an R32 is I can get away with the factory ecu being chipped instead of spending the initial outlay for an aftermarket ecu. We'll look to see if we can get more timing into it, instead of making power with extra boost. For me to get a big increase it will cost a lot of money, about the same boat you would be in. The budget for the engine rebuild coming in 1 1/2 years time is 25K NZD or about $18k USD. That will give me the support for my personal goal of a RELIABLE 550-600hp daily driven car.

soon_2b_evil
09-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I believe you may be mistaken, as no way would Mines put a twin turbo on a GTT, they also pretty much stick to GTR's but will do the odd non-GTR on a rare occasion. If you are referring to the "Ultimate Responce" video that was an R34 GTR in which they went beyond what they normally do and replaced cams and other various bits.

As far as hp a stock motor can handle well hell I'm sure it can take 750hp for a very short time before it handgrandes. The pistons, rods, and rod bolts are not the strongest. A good rule of thumb is if you want to produce over 500hp do the internals. The factory forged crank is a bit of a mystry. I've personally seen an R33 GTR making 835hp on one, and have heard stories of the going to 950hp but again at that sort of power level they won't last long.

As said 2510's or GT-SS's will make the power you are looking for without going over board on turbo size. You will need to change injectors to a size of about 650 but I would recommend 720's so you are not driving them to hard. The standard cams may make that for you or you could go to a set of Trust street cams which you don't have to change the valve springs. Just don't plan on reving it past 8,500 rpm or you could ask for big trouble. You'll need to change the front mount and fuel pump also, along with an ecu upgrade for the R33 or R34.

Right now I'm making an honest 450hp with factory turbos. The car is going back in for a retune in a week's time as I've put a much larger front mount on and had my airflow meters reconditioned. The nice thing with an R32 is I can get away with the factory ecu being chipped instead of spending the initial outlay for an aftermarket ecu. We'll look to see if we can get more timing into it, instead of making power with extra boost. For me to get a big increase it will cost a lot of money, about the same boat you would be in. The budget for the engine rebuild coming in 1 1/2 years time is 25K NZD or about $18k USD. That will give me the support for my personal goal of a RELIABLE 550-600hp daily driven car.

Ok well im was checking MINE's website and they do Twin turbo there RB26dett with HKS GT2530's. yes the R33 im getting is a GTR. Block wise im never going to make more the then whats actually needed.
Im in the same boat you are with a rebuild of the motor. The mines stage2 is about i think 17k itself. I just want a reliable 550 and it would be stright because you really dont any need anymore for a street car. unless you roll up on a Lambo or something like that. so beyond 500 you should replace the internals?

SkylineUSA
09-27-2004, 04:14 PM
500 it should last a while, but it depends on the abuse givin of course. I know R33 had a little more than that, and he would run it pretty hard, and I believe it lasted over 2 years, which is very good.

R33
09-27-2004, 08:19 PM
That's correct Sky. I have a bit more than 500 at the wheels and I ran it very very hard. It's been about 2 and a half years actually.
BTW, when I said the stock block has been known to churn out 1000hp, what I meant was the stock engine block has withstood that kind of power.

RazorGTR
09-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Ok well im was checking MINE's website and they do Twin turbo there RB26dett with HKS GT2530's. yes the R33 im getting is a GTR. Block wise im never going to make more the then whats actually needed.
Im in the same boat you are with a rebuild of the motor. The mines stage2 is about i think 17k itself. I just want a reliable 550 and it would be stright because you really dont any need anymore for a street car. unless you roll up on a Lambo or something like that. so beyond 500 you should replace the internals?

Umm McFly an RB26 was never fitted to a GTT, that is an RB25DET Neo. RB26DETT is fitted to the GTR other than a special ordered Stagea.

Entirely up to you, myself personally I'm not even going to bother with a turbo upgrade until I've gotten the internals done. If you snap a rod, break a piston, or shear a rod bolt you will kick yourself for the next few years for not doing them. The cost of a new block and bloody hell if you shit the crank you will know what HUGE expenses are. Factory Nissan Cranks are not cheap, and neither is a new block! That is unless you have a direct contact in Japan to suss one out for you.

soon_2b_evil
09-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Umm McFly an RB26 was never fitted to a GTT, that is an RB25DET Neo. RB26DETT is fitted to the GTR other than a special ordered Stagea.

Entirely up to you, myself personally I'm not even going to bother with a turbo upgrade until I've gotten the internals done. If you snap a rod, break a piston, or shear a rod bolt you will kick yourself for the next few years for not doing them. The cost of a new block and bloody hell if you shit the crank you will know what HUGE expenses are. Factory Nissan Cranks are not cheap, and neither is a new block! That is unless you have a direct contact in Japan to suss one out for you.

ok well talking to a builder and he said to get some new rods and pistons because thats what tends to break. Thats what i'll do and I'll just get a intercooler, upgrade the turbos and go have some fun. Can i get some ideas on a street setup?

SkylineUSA
09-29-2004, 12:11 AM
2510, 2530, GT-SS, with stock cams are fine. More power bigger cam.

If you talked to an engine builder, what did he tell you about the aftermaket parts?

GTR2b
09-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Am I the only one who gets a little annoyed when people come on to these forums asking for advice and then disagree with all the advice that they are given?

Just because you talked to some "engine builder" in North Carolina doesn't mean that he's ever seen an RB26DETT let alone build one, or even drive one around every day.
Spoon, there are some VERY knowledgeable around here that OWN GT-R's and it would be benificial to listen to them.

soon_2b_evil
09-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Am I the only one who gets a little annoyed when people come on to these forums asking for advice and then disagree with all the advice that they are given?

Just because you talked to some "engine builder" in North Carolina doesn't mean that he's ever seen an RB26DETT let alone build one, or even drive one around every day.
Spoon, there are some VERY knowledgeable around here that OWN GT-R's and it would be benificial to listen to them.

oh im listening to everyone and im hoping there knowlege is use of to me. Yeah my builder has touched and driven a R33 and R34. His friend brought one from Motorex ($85,000) and he did the work. So i think he know whats he's talking about. Not to upset you or anything. I just wanted to know the answer to my question. Plus i fig that everyone here has had owned one some point in there lifes so you guys could give me some hints thats all i asked for.

RazorGTR
09-29-2004, 11:49 PM
I've seen quite a few of the "experts" who have dabbled with these cars, and seen the work they've performed. While I'm not hacking on your engine builder but any yahoo can put an engine together, getting it right is a different storty. I wonder where he got his information on the spec's from? How does he know what works and what doesn't? I hope he's not relying on too much info from websites until they are "correct" ones. Either way I've been around, and owned these cars for over 6 years now. I live at my tuners place and engine builder.

Speaking of which I've some pretty interesting combinations guys have used based on information they've recieved from "experts" lol the results are hilarious to say the least and sometimes quite expensive.

SkylineUSA
09-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Razor,

Is there a post where it breaks down your combo?

Add your comment to this topic!