Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How would my car do at this sport?

finally_retired
09-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I've just taken delivery of an SL65 AMG... and its seriously quick. In the hands of the right driver, how would you think it would do. I'm not familiar with Autocross, in fact, I'd never heard of it untill now. Does anybody no if this happens in the UK?

Neutrino
09-23-2004, 07:21 PM
it will do ok. However most auto x tracks are set for agility rather than power. And with all that weight the sl is anything but agile, the insane low TQ will help a lot out of the tight corners though.

ac427cpe
09-23-2004, 11:14 PM
it would be an ASP if it is stock, but that is the SCCA classig for the car. you would have the power to do a nice point and squirt run, but like neutrino said, the car is heavy... you'll have roll issues and serious push in that car. they are more of a track car than an autocrosser.

but, you'll never know how well it does untill you go out and race in one. keep us posted! :D pictures/video (if i knew how to upload video i'd have mine posted, :()

Jabberwocky
09-29-2004, 12:35 AM
I think you can do fairly well. I drive a big car that's front heavy and has a live axle in the rear instead of an independent rear suspension and I can still run midpack of the vettes. Autocrossing is the least power intensive form of automotive racing, it is mostly driver ability.

Add your comment to this topic!