Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Grand Am SUPER hard shifts

ZipFly
09-23-2004, 06:49 PM
I have a 96 grand am w/ 3100 V6 and 4T60E tranny, And recently it has been shifting from 1st to 2nd so hard under WOT that i barks the tires and in the rain it will completely break the tires loose. I work in the automotive service business, and i have asked other techs what they think but no one can give me an answer, It's not that i dont like being able to lay rubber patches when it shifts i would just like to know what would cause this.
Also it does not slip and the shifts are not delayed. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom94gaGT
09-23-2004, 08:48 PM
sounds like the vacum hose to the trans has slipped off, its connects to the front of the trans and comes straight from the engine, not too hard to find but post back if you need help looking. i had the same thing happen to me and it shifted really hard like you are describing and its not exactly something you would expect to cause such problems, but it does.

justin0717
09-24-2004, 10:06 PM
my 96 with a 2.4 shifts really hard as well. between 1st and 2nd the tires will squeel a little (sometimes, not all the time) and when on a wet road the tires break right loose like that guy said his does. do you think this may be the same problem?

Madcat455
09-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Have to agree... 96 GT with 3.1, shift real hard too. Much harder than I'd think a stock trans. should, but nothing is off or wrong with the trans. 117K and it shifts like my 11.08 sec Drag car :naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!