Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

How Far away from Airbag/steering wheel??

solaris=amazing
09-23-2004, 01:47 PM
I have a 95 ford thunderbird, it has drivers and passenger airbags. Now, i'm short, well 5'7 and usually sit kinda close cause i don't like only touching my tippy toes to the pedals-not good, but this in turn gets me closer to the steering wheel. My bud said to sit as far back as you can..??

civichatch982
09-23-2004, 03:30 PM
yea, he has a point. I would say sit to where you feel comfortable, but keep in mind that if you do get in a bad wreck *knock on wood* that air bag doesn't quite hold up to how it sounds. don't think of it as a bag of air, think of it as a cinderblock. The thing has the capability of really messing you up.. and it comes out really fast. also keep in mind that the air in the air bag isn't nice normal outside air, its exhaust from your car. Thats how the term bag burn was made. Many ppl have gotten sevear burns from the air bag that saved thier lives. Pretty much just sit so your not crouching over the steering wheel. A good way to look at it is drive where you hold on to the steering wheel with your arms straight. That also has been tested and proven to help your responce time to evasive manuvers.

solaris=amazing
09-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks.. Yeah i think i'm gonna get some pedal covers that an extra 1/2 inch or so and move alittle back, i probably am to close.

Colov99
09-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Just to clarify air bags do not use exaust from the car. They are powerd by a chemical reaction of NaN3 and KNO3 to make Nitrogen gas. That is what fills up the airbag. If you wear your seatbelt you should be fine against the effects of the airbag going off.
For more info vist How stuff works: Airbag (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/airbag1.htm)

HTH,

-C

edit:
200th post whooo :ylsuper:

94accordVTEC
09-24-2004, 03:16 PM
:werd: :iagree: also keep in mind that the air in the air bag isn't nice normal outside air, its exhaust from your car. Thats how the term bag burn was made. Many ppl have gotten sevear burns from the air bag that saved thier lives. . :screwy:

I would love to hear how the air bag is inflated with the cars exhaust...think about that...does it really make sense? The burns people recieve are chemical burns for the chemical reaction that inflates the bag and they are rarely severe, personally i would love to have a few minor burns over a crushed head or face from hitting solid objects like the windshield or dash.

A good way to look at it is drive where you hold on to the steering wheel with your arms straight. That also has been tested and proven to help your responce time to evasive manuvers.

This is also not the proper way to drive...if your arms are straight you have no leverage to turn the steering wheel, you actually want your arms slightly bent. and yes i can back that up
http://www.grubbsauto.com/technotes/position.html
and
Very much contrary to what many think, having a very reclined seating position with your arms fully stretched out does not only look funny and uncool, but is also dangerous. Not only do you minimize your field of vision of the road, as your stretched arms will also make it hard for you to turn your steering wheel in the case of a sudden obstruction on the road which will lead to an accident. So next time you think you wanna look like a gangster or even argue being on a formula driver seating position, think again. Because you are not driving a formula car. Contrary to what you think, you'll look funny driving like this.
more driving info here
http://www.yehey.com/lifestyle/motoring/article2.aspx?id=3119

public
09-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Check with the dealer. They are aware of the problems with airbags as relates to shorter drivers. They have adapter kits for the pedals that are high quality and safe to use. Some more expensive options include slower inflation rate air bags but these are not available for all car models. Good Luck.

CBFryman
09-24-2004, 06:34 PM
yea, he has a point. I would say sit to where you feel comfortable, but keep in mind that if you do get in a bad wreck *knock on wood* that air bag doesn't quite hold up to how it sounds. don't think of it as a bag of air, think of it as a cinderblock. The thing has the capability of really messing you up.. and it comes out really fast. also keep in mind that the air in the air bag isn't nice normal outside air, its exhaust from your car. Thats how the term bag burn was made. Many ppl have gotten sevear burns from the air bag that saved thier lives. Pretty much just sit so your not crouching over the steering wheel. A good way to look at it is drive where you hold on to the steering wheel with your arms straight. That also has been tested and proven to help your responce time to evasive manuvers.

:rofl: you seriously think an aidbag is filled with exaust gases? i mean not only do most small 4cylenders not put out enough exaust to fill a 2-3cuft airbag with exaust in miliseconds but im sure that automotive companies would not blow carbonmonoxide prone gas that is 500+ degrees into the cab of any vehicle... what does inflate an airbag is Sodium azide (2NaN3) this compound is stored in pelets along with an igniter and iron oxide pellets inside a nylon bag. when electricity is applied to the igniter it starts an exothermic chemical reaction. 2NaN3 becomes 3N2+2Na...the iron oxide pellets react wih the now free soduim atoms to create 3Na2O and 2Fe. the sodium oxide then reacts with the watervapor in the air to form sodium hydrogen carbonate (2NaHCO3). all this happens in less than 0.1 seconds....the nitrogen gas and sodium hydrogen carbonate inflate the airbag and then escape throught holes all around the base of the airbag... the white powder yo usee is left over sodium and iron...the burns that are sometimes but rarely seen are either burns from the skin rubbing on the nylon or burns from the reaction since the reaction is exothermic (releases extra energy as heat)... sitting too close will do no more than give yo ua bad chest bruise...where as sitting too far away may do one or both of two things... give yo ua broken nose because yo uwernt immediatly stoped by the inflation, and/or brake your wrists or arms because your arms where straight and not slightly bent...now i dont suggest sitting os close your elbows are completely shut as bad bruises and even broken ribs may occur...but sitting too far away will be just as dangerous

SiGNAL748
09-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Auto-Xers recommend that you sit at the distance where you can firmly place your back and shoulders against your seat, while being able to plant your wrists on the steering wheel. It's said to be the best position to be manuvering your car in.

I would assume this is a good rule for driving in general, also.

blondiechick
09-25-2004, 11:19 AM
I think he gets the point that he was wrong

Add your comment to this topic!