Page updated on 11-18-2017

The New Car Syndrom

Save-Yourself
09-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Hello All! I am new to these forums and I would just like to thank all of you in advance for any helpful advice you might be able to lend me.

I have what I like to call "The New Car Syndrom". I am 17, going on my 18th brithday. I have been given the option of a $20K limit on a car. I have been doing some very thorough research into the world of cars, parts, and performance options. I have 3 main priorities (as do all of you probably) - Speed, Eccentricity, and Luxury. Personally, I am usually appalled my elaborate body kits or extensive work to the outside of a car. I am a H-U-G-E fan of sleepers. I love the idea of rice-eating goodness. Mmm...

Tuneablity is a must. I would prefer a decent aftermarket.

So as body styles might go- Any relatively light 2 or 4 seater. A 4 seater is preferable. Convertibles are welcome, and a convertible with a hardtop would be fantastic.

Cars I am currently a diehard fan of include the:

Toyota MR2 Spyder (Convertible With hardtop is sexy)
BMW M3 Under Model Year 2000
Mazda Protege
Lexus IS 300
2006 Pontiac Solstice

I am curious to hear what the respected members of this forum could suggest. I would love to hear suggestions- about a car I have mentioned or maybe about a car that I might have forgotten about...

Thanks for your time!

kcap122
09-28-2004, 11:56 PM
M3 will eat any of those cars for breakfast.

The IS is gonna be the most luxury, and even though they feel quick, you're not gonna be eating a huge amount of rice.

Protoge: meh.

Solstice: Looks amazing, performs amazing, having a first-gen pontiac on what (if i remember correctly) is also a first-gen platorm, is not gonna be anything you could even whisper the word "Reliable" around.

MR2: Yes. Sexy. Speed is lacking, but to me it looks alot like the new 911.

Your choice man, id suggest the m3. highest pimp factor, kinda rare, and real fast

Rufe
09-30-2004, 01:32 AM
The Mazda Protege might be a good sleaper. You can buy a sport suspension directly from Mazda.

Keep the spoilers off, and put one of those DX badges on it, and you can later add turbocharging if you want.

Pavlo
09-30-2004, 05:49 PM
M3 is too nice, expensive to do engine upgrades of any kind, expensive in maintaince, but really nice. I can get it but I prefer 240sx with sr20det engine. You can get over 300hp with about $6000 including new engine with about 30000 miles on it.

Cro
09-30-2004, 06:04 PM
The US e36 m3s were just slightly tuned 3 series so they only produced 240 at the crank, so the its not the fastest car out there (low 14 from what i hear). Unless of course you live in europe where the e36 makes 320 i believe. BMWs in general will cost a lot to upgrade and their engines are already tuned a lot from the factory, so there wont be much that you would be able to do except fi.

You can prolly find a nice 300zx tt or maybe a ls1 camaro.

Maybe even a vr4.

DinanM3_S2
09-30-2004, 11:00 PM
E36 M3s weren't the fastest car out there, but it sure did handle better then anything else under about $90,000. C&D did a big comparo to find "the best handling car over $30,000." The E36 beat out Porsche, the NSX, the Corvette, the Viper, the Ferrari 355, and others. You will have more fun with an manual M3 then any car on that list. BMW has one of the biggest aftermarkets out there (the 3-series is the 2nd most tuned car in the world behind the VW GTi). I admit, it can get a little expensive to tune M cars, but the end result is worth it. To see what the E36 can do, go to the link in my sig (That is the coolest M3 I think I've ever seen).

Save-Yourself
10-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Well thank you for all of the replies. The M3 does seem to be the favorite. I have not had the pleasure of driving an M3 yet, but I do hope to in the future. The new 2005 mustang has also caught my eye at the moment. But I doubt it will last long- Because every kid and his dog will have a mustang by Christmas.

Aside from that though- A Mazda Protege' or 3 would probably be easier/cheaper to tune but the M3 seems like it would be a better choice. IDK. Would an M3 convertible be alright? Anyone have any strong feelings for or against an M3 convertible? Are hardtops expensive/practical?

Sorry for the Newbish Questions but as long as I've got your attention maybe a few people could answer them for me/give me more advice.

Thanks all.

Cro
10-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Not a big fan of convertibles in general. Most cars without the top look unnatural i think (big exception i think is the vette). Convertibles also weigh more making the car slower.

RandomTask
10-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Before I read the cars he was looking at, First thing that popped up was an M3. Get an earlier E36 and build it. I have driven one before Fast, comfortable, handles great. If not, for that money, I know you could get about a 98(ish) Cobra Mustang, and you could have a lot of fun with that...

Add your comment to this topic!