Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Head Stud Sealer?

stang_racer20
09-22-2004, 05:57 PM
I just got my new head studs today so I'll be installing them this weekend. Whats a good sealer I can use on my heads stud threads? It cant dry hard though!

351wStang
09-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Sealer as in a thread locker? I dont normally use any kind of thread locker. Just a little oil on the threads so that they torque properly and they will be fine as long as you follow the specs as far as order and #ft.

stang_racer20
09-23-2004, 12:16 AM
Nope, not with the block I'm using, wont work. You have to use thread sealer of some sort due to the location of the water jackets in this block.

351wStang
09-23-2004, 08:49 PM
What block? Just use the blue locktight.

stang_racer20
09-23-2004, 11:57 PM
Sportsman block. I cant use loctite either cause it drys hard.

mustang2422
09-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Permatex makes a good sealer. The one I have comes in a white tube. and is called High Temerature Thread Sealant and Ive had no problems with it. It was form Advance Auto Parts store.

stang_racer20
09-24-2004, 06:19 PM
I just bought some Permatex No. 2, which was recommended to me from this performance shop near me. He said they use it all the time on head studs and it seals great. Thanks all anyways though. I'll be replacing em tomorrow right after I get back from the swap meet.

stang_racer20
09-25-2004, 04:26 PM
I've drained the coolant but I have a problem. The coolant in the head studs bores is not draining out. What is holding it up from draining out? I cant replace the studs with sealer until the thread bores are dry. HELP!

Mendari
09-25-2004, 06:40 PM
If you have a high-pressure air compressor....
Nevermind, if you had one, you wouldn't need any advice.
How about few cans of computer dust spray? I know it sounds stupid, but without an air compressor, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

stang_racer20
09-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I have one and it isnt doing a thing. If I try to blow the coolant out the hole it doesnt. I just see white steam coming out the lower radiator hose. I tried doing the old school trick of rolling a piece of towel real thin and sticking it in the the stud hole and letting it hang down from there. That would take forever though, you know.

stang_racer20
09-26-2004, 10:35 PM
anyone?

mustang2422
09-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Are the stud holes going into the water jacket? If so there should be a drain plug on the block. I dont know what motor you have but on 5.0 and 351 theres a small allen head screw on the block between the soft plugs and the bottom of the block.It will let you drain the block of coolent.

stang_racer20
09-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Are the stud holes going into the water jacket? If so there should be a drain plug on the block. I dont know what motor you have but on 5.0 and 351 theres a small allen head screw on the block between the soft plugs and the bottom of the block.It will let you drain the block of coolent.

Yup, I was talking to a guy at work today that told me about the plugs. I wasnt sure what they were for before. I already got the drivers side studs in, tomorrow I'll do the passenger side. So far so good! Thanks all!

stang_racer20
09-28-2004, 11:03 PM
They are all done. Thank god! I wanted some assurance too that the upper studs werent leaking so I pulled the valve covers and all was well. Tomorrow I'll fill the coolant, change the oil/filter, double check everything and see what happens. Thanks all!

stang_racer20
09-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Well I got it running/driving again, all is like is was before. The head studs seam to be ok. So far no gas in the oil as well. I got my main ECT hooked up on the radiator side of the t-stat housing, does that make a difference to the PCM or anything else. The dash temp gauge also only goes up to 130 and stops. My aftermarket Auto Meter temp gauge goes up to 180 and holds there. Is it my stock coolant sender or what? I've never had a problem with one before besides just not working period. Anyone?

Add your comment to this topic!