Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Truth or not? POLL: Regarding oil level

Ramblin Fever
09-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Was reading on a site, Syn-lube 4 life, to be precise; and it was noted that the proper oil level in a car is supposed to be just above the MIN/ADD mark and way "below" the MAX/FULL mark.

Site went on to say that a car that's maintained at the full/max mark consistently will sustain greater engine wear, longer warm up times, and greater pressure on the engine.

Does this sound right?

I've always known to never go above the MAX/FULL mark, but is there a problem with keeping it AT or just "barely" below the mark?

I rarely have to add any oil; but during normal oil changes, I've always used the 5.7 qts stated for the 3.2L and that brings the oil to the MAX/FULL mark.

Am I wrong here? Would like to know where others keep their oil at?

Dober89
09-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Ive always kept mine full. Ive actually never heard of not keeping it there. I check it once a week usually and if its down a quarter or so I usually dont bother adding any but Ive never noticed it warming up any different with less oil.

rodeo02
09-22-2004, 05:30 AM
I'm sure there are engines out there that will foam the oil if overfilled, causing pumping issues & oil starvation. This is on a case by case basis though & a pretty broad statement by that site :screwy: . There's really no way of knowing how high you can go with the 3.2/3.5 before this happens, unless you somehow add a sight glass to the oil pan, or are ballzee enought to watch for an oil pressure drop :eek7: *usually* 1/2 (0.5) quart high on a 4 to 6 qt system is just fine. I like mine right at, or slightly above the "full" mark.
G/luck
Joel

tomlcollins
09-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Staying in between the marks will assure you don't damage your engine...that's why they're there. You don't have to be directly at the "full" mark all the time, but why not keep it there in case you spring a bad leak (which is rare to happen extremely fast but still...) and don't check it for a while. We all know what happens then, a seized engine is a sad sight.
I can also tell you that going above the full mark, while not AS bad as dropping below add, is still harmful. The article was correct in that it creates more pressure (aka blows seals and gaskets), creates longer warm ups, etc. BUT, keeping your oil right at FULL won't cause this to happen to the extent that harm is done. ALSO, overfilling will kill your gas mileage, trust me...thanks to the idiots at the dealer who last changed my oil I know firsthand. Let's just say I'll be doing it myself as usual from now on.

Add your comment to this topic!