Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Electrical Problem

SgtZeke
09-21-2004, 06:36 PM
My Mother is having a problem with her 90 Bonneville SSE. It has been stalling on her and not restarting. Took it to the dealer where my Dad bought it to have it worked on. They checked the battery told her it was OK and charged her $55.00. Three days later same thing. Now they say it is due to the top post Delco battery and cables they installed for my Dad 3 years ago. They claim the car needs to be restored to factory specs. They said the wire from the Altenator to the battery is heating up to 240 degrees and causing too much resistance. The battery they installed is a 26-6yr Delco. Still under warranty. They are trying to charge her a second battery diagnostic fee as well as for another battery and cables. Can anyone advise me on this as I am not familiar with this car or it's history? Thanks!!

usmcsgtj
09-21-2004, 10:46 PM
they are full of S@*#. There is NO reason for that to happen from battery cables..thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard..and Im an electrician to boot!wires wire in cars as long as its big enough there should be no problems. and the factory bonneville battery cables are smaller gauge wire than most aftermarket replacements anyhow.Take it somewhere else. Its probably stalling due to something going bad, that happens when the car is hot.Could be a variety of things. Go elsewhere for another opinion, preferably a reputable non dealer mechanic. always good to get second opinion from other than a dealer.

richtazz
09-25-2004, 02:35 PM
since they converted it to top post (why I couldn't begin to fathom) check to make sure they didn't hook both factory cables to one top post clamp. I believe the factory 90 Bonne's had the double stacked positive cables, and that could cause some voltage loss. Also, a 26-6yr battery only has 550cca, your Bonne requires 630cca. The wire from the alternator to the battery getting hot can only be caused by one thing, the battery is bad and/or too small for the car and it is constantly being recharged. The dealer you took it to has no clue what they are doing, take it anywhere else and have it fixed right, then try to get you money back for the battery they sold you, frickin idiots. The stalling is unrelated, unless the battery is dead shorted and is taking all the system voltage, not allowing enough to run the ignition.

Add your comment to this topic!