97 Camry water leak passenger side

OLD JOE
09-21-2004, 11:13 AM
I've had my camry 3-weeks and discovered lots of clear clean water
under the carpet on the passenger side front and rear.
Thought carpet was still wet from cleaning when I bought the car.
Sucked up over a gallon, then removed the passenger seat
and lifted the carpet/padding to find more than another gallon,
clean and clear water in front and back floor.
Floor drain plugs OK. And no sign/smell of antifreeze.
Which eliminates the heater core. Have a moonroof, and no have
not left the windows or roof open during lots of recent rain.
Ideas, suggestions please....Thanks, JOE

dank99
09-21-2004, 03:36 PM
I had the same problem. It was a plastic drain pipe that goes from moonroof to the floor. It was cracked and I always had water on my carpet. After replacing the drain pipe problem went away. Have someone that specializes in moonroofs check it for you.

Dan

disguised
09-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Hey,

While what he said may be the problem, I'm studying collision repair currently. Most cars they've brought to me with a water leak problem on the passenger side has most commonly been an air conditioning hose. Air conditioning systems have a drain hose also to remove water condesation from the evaporator. The evaporator NORMALLY mounts on the passenger side of the interior. Thus, your water leak problem. If the drain hose becomes clogged water will usually leak out onto the passenger side floor carpeting. To clean the drain hose the vehicle needs to be raised onto jack stands. The tip of the evaporator hose extends down the firewall. By pinching or opening the tip of the hose it can USUALLY be cleaned without major part removal. I have had one paticular car where i did have to remove a few major pieces because this did not work. hopes this helps.

Bmaintz
09-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Could also be the drain tube for the A/C.... Easy to spot, run the A/C & look under the car, should have a poodle of water, if you don't then the drain tube is plugged (mud dobber) or came off of pan inside the car....

OLD JOE
09-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Could also be the drain tube for the A/C.... Easy to spot, run the A/C & look under the car, should have a poodle of water, if you don't then the drain tube is plugged (mud dobber) or came off of pan inside the car....
Dan, Disguised, and Bob are ALL right! Drain hose for the A/C was OK BUT, BUT the 3/4" hose was going thru a 1+1/2" hole in the floorboard and I could see daylight and my driveway. The 'grommet' was GONE.. ordered one from my local dealer, under 4 bucks, be here tomorrow. So thought I'd be sure and check the moonroof, yep, black 2" tube coming off the moonroof which the clear drain tube connects to... was plugged.
So water would overspill from the water channel onto
the headliner (I'm surprised there was no waterstains
or wet look inside) then run into the plastic trim moulding along the windshield side and 'drizzle' 'trickle'
out into the carpet right at the front edge of the passenger door opening... quite a nice stream...
So, thanks to EACH OF YOU, my 'double-leak' may be
why the car was sold reasonably, and why I had gallons, on the passenger floor front and rear...
Thank God it must be 'recent' as there is no sign of rust!

OLD JOE
09-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Hey,

While what he said may be the problem, I'm studying collision repair currently. Most cars they've brought to me with a water leak problem on the passenger side has most commonly been an air conditioning hose. Air conditioning systems have a drain hose also to remove water condesation from the evaporator. The evaporator NORMALLY mounts on the passenger side of the interior. Thus, your water leak problem. If the drain hose becomes clogged water will usually leak out onto the passenger side floor carpeting. To clean the drain hose the vehicle needs to be raised onto jack stands. The tip of the evaporator hose extends down the firewall. By pinching or opening the tip of the hose it can USUALLY be cleaned without major part removal. I have had one paticular car where i did have to remove a few major pieces because this did not work. hopes this helps.
Dan, Disguised, and Bob are ALL right! Drain hose for the A/C was OK BUT, BUT the 3/4" hose was going thru a 1+1/2" hole in the floorboard and I could see daylight and my driveway. The 'grommet' was GONE.. ordered one from my local dealer, under 4 bucks, be here tomorrow. So thought I'd be sure and check the moonroof, yep, black 2" tube coming off the moonroof which the clear drain tube connects to... was plugged.
or wet look inside) then run into the plastic trim moulding along the windshield side and 'drizzle' 'trickle'
out into the carpet right at the front edge of the passenger door opening... quite a nice stream...
why the car was sold reasonably, and why I had gallons, on the passenger floor front and rear...

OLD JOE
09-23-2004, 08:05 PM
I had the same problem. It was a plastic drain pipe that goes from moonroof to the floor. It was cracked and I always had water on my carpet. After replacing the drain pipe problem went away. Have someone that specializes in moonroofs check it for you.

Dan

zrahul
01-22-2006, 11:29 AM
All,

I am having the same problem as described by Joe
I checked the sun roof and found two wents, I poured some water and found that they were draining at the front end near the front tires.. is this the way it needs to drain on a 98 camry with sun roof ? , or they need to drain from the tube which passes via the trunk near the rear tires

Pls advice

Toysrme
01-23-2006, 01:42 AM
2 year old post. You don't need to double post.

Add your comment to this topic!