Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Added Hp on 4cylinder..

yozuri82
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Hey all....
I have a basic 4cylinder 2000 s10.It has about 45000 miles on it now. I was wondering if there were any ways of getting a little extra hp out of the engine without hurting it. I moved to an area that has lots of hills etc...and the ole 4cylinder really struggles to keep up on many of them. Are there any minor bolt-ons or "tricks" to get a little extra hp out of it SAFELY. I really did not want to do anything that would require a programmer or something of that sort. I have read about air intakes but would that make the motor run a little more lean??? Any other ideas?? And please don't say "ehhh ...just drop a vette engine in" LOL....A little too extreme I think..Thanks a lot.

OverBoardProject
09-20-2004, 10:31 PM
How about a Hemi, and 6 speed...

Actually there must be headers for your lil motor, and air intakes would help the performance a little.

A small Nitrous system would help you, but it'll cost you whenever you want to go fast.

Other than that, a good tune up, new big ignition wires, and a MSD type ignition.

I've never had it dyno'd, but I swear that my daily driver has more power when I run synthetic oil.

yozuri82
09-20-2004, 10:55 PM
How about a Hemi, and 6 speed...

That combo probably weighs more than my entire truck :)

I have seen many ads for the larger trucks that getting a better air filter can give you like 15hp, but I realize that with my truck it will be more like 5 :(
I have seen people install homemeade ram air packages on larger trucks that just flow more air...Is that conceivable on a little engine too?

oh and also...Will maybe a cooler thermostat result in better life for the engine?

OverBoardProject
09-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Check out this site for ram air kits http://www.autotrucktoys.com/airaid/ .

I really don't think that K&N air filters give stock motors extra power, but I would like to test them on a dyno on my daily driver.

Although they would probably let the ram air box work better.

Ram Air does work, and you can easily make your own system.

A cooler thermostat would help during the summer, however if you live where it gets cold leave the winter one in.

Getting a light weight tire / wheel combo will really make a difference in power, stopping, and handling.
Every pound of weight savings in the wheel's, brakes, and all rotating objects is equivelent to about 3 pounds elsewhere.

BlazerLT
09-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Aight, BlazerLT will give you the low down on what to do: (oh god, I am talking in the third person.;))

1.) First, get a better muffler. The stock muffler is extremely restrictive to make it quieter. Go to Midas and install a z55 muffler and you will be happy with the sound and the less restriction.

2.) After and ONLY after you get a better muffler, get a nice intake. Not only does it allow your engine to breathe better, it allows for better throttle response. Search on ebay for "s10 2.2l intake" without the quotes and you will get a listing for all the intake on ebay. Some are very inexpensive and don't get the name brand ones with 200 dollar pricetags. They make no difference. Also, you can just buy a K&N drop in air filter if you don't want the intake. Still does some good but just not as much.

3.) Next is a tuneup.

Replace your:

Cap & Rotor (If you have one)
Fuel Filter
Air Filter ( see above)
New Plugs
AC Delco Platinums (41-948 gapped 0.040)
AC Delco Rapidfires (#12 gapped 0.060)
Search here on ebay for some rapidfires:
http://search-desc.ebay.com/rapidfire-12_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR10 QQsacategoryZ6000Q26catrefQ3DC6QQsotextsearchedZ2Q QsotrZ2QQcoactionZcompareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypag eZsearch

After that you should be good.

wilfie27
09-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Just a little thing. Having trouble convincing the Mrs. about the advantages of an aftermarket cold air intake, I drilled about 8 or 9 1" holes using a wood bit into my air box (before the filter) and that made a noticable difference. I also moved my IAT sensor further away from my intake manifold so the computer would think the air is denser "colder" so it will dump in more fuel. I haven't really noticed much of a drop in mpg so far.

BlazerLT
09-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Also, replace the filter with a K&N drop in filter replacement.

zroc1
09-23-2004, 08:05 PM
cut out the side and bottom of the air box thats facing the front and the side fender. also drop a K and N in there... its the best thing to do for REALLY cheap

Cant_Handle_It
09-25-2004, 01:40 AM
the tornados help a little to

BlazerLT
09-25-2004, 08:49 AM
the tornados help a little to

They don't do anything.

The tornado is just a marketing scam that does nothing at all and has led to vehicle damage when it breaks apart and is sucked into the engine.

Just plain crap and if you believe that junk , I have a pill here that you can put into your gas and get 20hp difference.

I just can't believe how people are so easily taken today.

Cant_Handle_It
09-27-2004, 01:41 AM
what are you talkin about the tornados DO help and i know this for a fact but they are over priced

BlazerLT
09-27-2004, 02:04 AM
ahahahaha!

My god you are a sucker!

They are complete garbage and have been proven to be a scam!

Like HERE!

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/productreviews/fr/aafpr052002.htm

You are just imagining a power increase and it is completely in your head.

Add your comment to this topic!