Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ummm its not workin....

ScorTmobileR
09-20-2004, 09:48 PM
:uhoh: ok well i had an amp hooked up to my two rear car speakers and things just werent workin, i dont think the wattage matched up, but anyways. so i re wire the old speakers back how they should have been. i am 110% postive i matched the wires back and hooked everything back up as it was originally. i turned the car on immediatly after i finsihed. the music started playin and it was good except for the settings, so i went in to adjust the bass treble balence and fade. everything was fine until i messed with the fade. as soon as i tryed to change i, all the speakers cut off. but the cd player continued to play. :uhoh:

i turned it off, let it sit, then tirned it on again and again the speakers werent working but the cd player was. i reset the cd player and it didnt do anything that helped. my dad said i might have blown a chanel in a surge or sumthin? i dont know. im lookin for an excuse to buy a new one any ways, i was just kinda lookin forward to sellin it :2cents: and get a lil mor for the new one. any help would be appreciated

Brandish
09-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Check for shorts in the speaker wires, either between the two wires or to ground. Either will cause problems.

ScorTmobileR
09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
unless a rat got in there and startin tearn shit up thats not the prob, its sumthin to do with the head.

CocaColaEatsPie
09-21-2004, 04:23 PM
are you sure you didn't hit a mute button or something, because all the speakers cutting out at once just doesn't really make sense

ScorTmobileR
09-21-2004, 09:09 PM
positive

Brandish
09-22-2004, 09:31 AM
unless a rat got in there and startin tearn shit up thats not the prob, its sumthin to do with the head.
Well then you just answered your own question, and there's really no point to this thread then, is there? You don't need us to make excuses for you to buy a new HU... It's your money, do whatever the hell you want with it.

Anyways, the reason why I suggested the short in the speaker wires is because most modern-day HUs have protection circuitry built into them where if any kind of short - or even just a low impedance for that matter - is detected on the speaker wires then the whole thing will go into protect and cut audio to all 4 speakers. I can't explain why that only happens when you adjust the fader... Maybe your HU is just fuct. Whatever the case, if the same thing happens after hooking your new HU up then you'll know for suer there's a short somewhere.

ScorTmobileR
09-22-2004, 01:47 PM
hmmm no i dont think i have answered my own question so dont be an ass. i just need to know if it fixable. and there are no wire problems anywhere

tblake
09-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Yes, my friend, it is very fixable indeed. All you need to have is soldering skills, and an after noon. What you did is blew the Output IC in your head unit. Thats the chip that amplifies sound. Hmmm. I'm durrently waiting on a parts order so i can get my friends alpine head unit bumpin again. What proably happened is that sometime in the installation, a speaker wire that came off of the head unit got shorted, either to the other wire, or to the car chassis. Honest mistake. I've done it before. What type of head unit is this may I ask? Pioneer, sony, alpine, jensen? and what model more importantly. I may be interested in a purchase. Or if you want to go the other rout, I may be able to repair it for you at minimal cost. I'd just like to know the model number, as with some of these, the output IC gets blown, and the part itself costs more than a new deck would, so usually I say screw it. Just for the sake of arguement, hook your speakers up to your amp, and use the rca jacks on the back of the deck. If the output IC is blown, the rca outputs will still work 100%. And yes, even if one wire speaker wire gets shorted, it can and will cause all the speaker channels to quit working simulatanously, much like your case. And also, I've never heard of this sort of protect feature in decks before, only in amps, referred to as overcurrent, just an FYI. Any questions? I would be happy to answer. Did I confuse you? Sorry if I did. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!