Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Ram 1500 shift problem????????

bballg112
09-20-2004, 08:09 PM
My dad recently bought a '99 Ram 1500 2wd 4.2L. The engines idles fine and runs great under normal conditions. But when you accelerate too quickly the transmission seems to shift extremely late. And when it finally shifts it is a firm jerky shift. It seems to do this with overdrive on or off. I gave him the idea to purchase a hypertech programmer, in order to change the rpms to shift at, and to change the firmness of the shift. plus the programmer adds hp, torque and can possibly add gas mileage. Would the programmer help with the shifting problems??

mprtech
09-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Not a bit, you need to have a perfectly sound trans before you reprogram it. Does it have a check engine light on? I would suspect a govenor fault. You can check the kickdown linkage at the throttle body. Make sure the fluid is full and not burned. Check in neutral, hot.

bballg112
09-20-2004, 10:30 PM
well the thing is, a few other people i know own dodges. one is a 99 durango and the other is a 99 ram 1500. and they have noticed the same thing, the shifting lags. is it an overall dodge thing, or do i just have three issolated cases that have the same problem?

scoutinkeith
09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
my dodge is a 99 also, and the way I understand it, the more you are on the gass, the later and firmer the shifts are going to be.
the TPS(throttle position sensor) and the TV(throttle valve) cable both play a part in the shifting on these transmissions. you can try adjusting one or both of them if you want, but generailly these mods are to make the shifts firmer, which from your post, is not what you are wanting.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/automatic/TPS_adjust.htm
http://www.jcj.net/dodgeram/trans_adjustment.htm
the first link is for TPS, and the second one is for the TV cable.
just as an example, my truck is a 99 1500 quad cab 4x4 w?360 and auto trans. under light throttle, the shifts are at around 2500 rpm, and somewhat soft. if I really get on the throttle, the shifts are much later, like around 3500-4000rpm(sometimes higher if I have it to the floor) and are much firmer. and from what little I know about autos, (this is only my second vehicle with an auto), this type of shifting is normal.

Add your comment to this topic!