Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Curse my truck!

LTJGWorth
09-20-2004, 03:50 PM
If it isn't one thing it's another. Ok. Today, my truck ran fine, until about an hour ago. I we picking my mother up from work and got into my truck and it wouldn't turn over. I had problems with the battery terminal coming loose, so i tightened it. It turned over, but wouldn't start. Tightened it again, wouldn't start. I turned it over and hit the gas and it started up, but it wouldn't idle without my foot on the gas. So i drove home with 2 feet, one on the brake, and the other on the gas (it's an automatic). I got home and parked the truck and popped the hood. I am the TPS (throttle position sensor) maniac and that was my first guess as to the culprit of my problem. Mind you that I had no check engine light the whole time this is going on. I looked under the hood and unhooked the TPS. I started the truck, and the check engine light came on (obviously it will without the TPS hooked up) and hit the gas and slowly let my foot off of it until it idled by itself! Wow. I turned it off, then started it up, without my foot and it idled again. While it was running I hooked the TPS back up. The check engine light is still there, but the truck runs great. Still idles. I ran the little key clicker test thing to watch for the check engine light flashes, and i got 2 flashes, then 4, then i think it was 5 or maybe 6. Can anyone help me out with this? Besides unhooking the check engine light

mprtech
09-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I know you think its the tps, but it sure sounds like ram fuel pump syndrome. Sorry I can't help with that style of code numbering, I know P codes but dodge gives no reference to us for the old style numbers.

BleedDodge
09-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Go here:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

Code 24 is: 24* Throttle position sensor over 4.96V (SEE NOTE #3)

Note 3: Matt Rowe comments: The throttle postion circuit tells the computer how far the accelerator is depressed. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle cable. The connector should have a round rubber cover over the connections. Clear the fault codes, start the car and try jiggling the wires/connectors to try to trip a fault code. Loss of this signal could cause other problems.

LTJGWorth
09-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Ok ok ok. Bear with me guys, today has been full of brain farts. Here's the deal: I don't know what the hell was wrong with it, but the truck is running fine. I too thought it might be fuel pressure, but it's not. Hey Bleed, I found out that code 24 was, according to the site I found, high or low voltage to the TPS. That is the only code I've got. My TPS is fairly new and I just got back in from taking it off of the throttle body. I massaged it while the engine was running and it works. It's doing it's job. The truck runs great, I just can't get the check engine light to go off. Is there a way to reset the computer for that without taking it to a garage or a dealer?

mxracer111
09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
ive had check engine lights come on before. dodge tells me if its not flashing then it will go out usally withen 3 days and there shouldnt be a problem

LTJGWorth
09-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Well, mine was flashing. Now it's gone. My dad rode with me to get pizza and while he was inside I was watching my RPM guage (the RPMs are fluctuating between 500 and 700 RPMs now. Any fix?) and noticed that the light was gone. So I have no trouble codes now and the truck will still run. Just the RPM fluctuation.

BleedDodge
09-23-2004, 08:03 PM
IAC valve?

snr8715
09-24-2004, 01:19 PM
IAC valve?
A bad battery or bad connection from battery will cause eng. to run bad.

BleedDodge
09-24-2004, 09:44 PM
But he's already getting codes for his TPS voltage being high.

LTJGWorth
09-25-2004, 07:31 PM
I got it fixed. I know that the idle computer resets itself anytime the battery looses connection, even just a little bit. It takes it a little bit for the engine to run normal. But I've got everything straightened out. No codes, it idles, and no RPM flux.

BleedDodge
09-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Good deal.

Add your comment to this topic!