Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

weird noises in 04 Z - squeak + rattle

schanzo
09-20-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey,

I am experiencing 2 noises in my 04 Z (6 months old, stock touring, ~4500 miles, K&N filter), any suggestions where these might be coming from would be extremely appreciated:

1) squeak/chip/whistle when accelerating
When I hit the gas harder (i.e. depress the pedal about 2 inches or so), or when shifting up and hitting the gas at the same time, I hear a squeak-like sound somewhere in the left front, possibly linked to the gas pedal itself. I noticed this sound about 1-2 weeks ago. Sound does not happen when speeding up gradually and/or shifting down.

2) rattle/marble/metallic sound in idle and first gear
I noticed this months ago. Trying to reproduce at the dealership of course failed - sound didnt happen.

Car has to be warmed up (i.e driven for like 30-45 minutes).

Sound happens in first gear (e.g. going uphill - driveway, slanted parking lot- as well as on level surface). Might sound like 'marbles', metallic / rough metallic.

Also happens when car is in idle and running, hovering at around 750-1500-2000rpm. When I turn it off in idle, sounds like shatter/spin down. This sound goes AWAY when I depress the clutch pedal.

2nd sound does NOT happen at all (neither 1st gear or idle) when car is cold. I.e. this morning I didnt hear it at all.

Any ideas?

thanks.

SeXy_MaMaRST
09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Do you just have a filter on the intake or an aftermarket intake? I have a full cold air on my 350 and I get the same sound as you are describing ( the squealling).
Just a question about the other noise.... Have you changed the oil lately? Could be low or dirty.

SeXy_MaMaRST
09-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I was just thinking that the metallic sound that you hear might be your timing chain. After a good break in period for the motor, you tend to hear them more. I am not sure if the 350z has a timing chain or not, but I am like 95% positive that they do seeing as how the first major maintenance they need is at 105,000 miles. It wouldn't make sense to put a rubber belt on it then.

bad68chev
02-28-2005, 11:19 PM
If the noise goes away when clutch is depressed its probably a throwout bearing or pilot bushing.

Add your comment to this topic!