1997 Jeep Grand Cher No Spark Problems

Tonyn
09-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello all,
I have been reading your post for about 2 weeks now. I have a big problem with my 1997 Jeep GC 4.0 V6.
While driving it cuts out. some times it would start right back up, some times it would take a little while.
This is what I have so far.
Changed out the fuel pump. -- Fixed it for about 2 months same problem now.
changed plugs,Dis cap, rotor, sensor under cap, Coil, Swapped out Computer with a refurbished computer. .
I have fuel pressure but no spark at the coil. I am really stumped,
if anyone has any more suggestions please e-mail me.
Now the car only cranks but does nt turn over, again no spark.
Thank you for your help .
TOny
Tonybeth103@cs.com

dksob81
09-19-2004, 10:55 PM
ok, I am gonna start with the I6 (not V6)....lol everyone does this. umm well no spark at the coil, is it plugged in? if so,
TEST IT:
1. Remove the ignition Coil.
2. Clean outter case and check for cracks and other damage, clean the coil primary terminal and check the coil tower terminal for corrosion. clean with a wire brush if any corrosion is found. it is essential for proper operation of the ignition system that all coil terminals and wires be kept clean and dry. (yours is new you shouldn't have this problem, but go over the whole coil for cracks).
3. Check the coil primary resistance by attaching the leads of ohm-meter to the 2 terminals of the connector.
4. Check the coil secondary resistance by connecting one of the ohm-meter leads to the positive terminal of the connector and the other ohm-meter lead to the high-tension terminal.
5. Compare your measurement to these resistance values.
Diamond Coil.
Primary Resistance 0.96 ohm - 1.18 ohms
Secondary Resistance 11,000 - 15,300 ohms

Toyodenso Coil.
Primary Resistance 0.95 ohm - 1.20 ohms
Secondary Resistance 11,300 - 13,300 ohms

If your measurements as specified then replace the ignition coil.

dksob81
09-19-2004, 11:00 PM
sorry, the Diamond Coil: secondary Resistance shoudl be between 11,300 - 15,300

dksob81
09-19-2004, 11:04 PM
if the ignition coil is good and u still have no SPARK, then trace the wires back to the PCM make sure the are no bare wires. yes this is gonna be a whole lot of fun....lol, but it's cheaper then going to the dealer and have them do it. if u do not find any wiring problems then take the PCM to a Jeep dealer and have them test it.

Dale Aeppli
09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Hello all,
I have been reading your post for about 2 weeks now. I have a big problem with my 1997 Jeep GC 4.0 V6.
While driving it cuts out. some times it would start right back up, some times it would take a little while.
This is what I have so far.
Changed out the fuel pump. -- Fixed it for about 2 months same problem now.
changed plugs,Dis cap, rotor, sensor under cap, Coil, Swapped out Computer with a refurbished computer. .
I have fuel pressure but no spark at the coil. I am really stumped,
if anyone has any more suggestions please e-mail me.
Now the car only cranks but does nt turn over, again no spark.
Thank you for your help .
TOny
Tonybeth103@cs.com

HI IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BAD CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR DALE jeepman600@aol.com

dksob81
09-20-2004, 11:31 PM
ok, here is aother one check around the battery, mostly the battery hold down. someone else jsut had this problem and they informed me that the bettery hold down was grounding on the wire, they felt the jeep shut down whenever they hit a bump or around turn they felt it stutter and sometimes it would not start so possibly u are having the same problem. if u do no tfind any wiring issues then my guess would be the CPS.

Cam7
09-21-2004, 03:34 AM
I agree sound like it could be Crankshaft Position Sensor.

leowolf
09-21-2004, 09:24 AM
check fuses and relays too, also the ignition switch may be at fault, check the run indent by wiggling the key within the indent.

good luck

cyril fox
09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
iam having the same problem here in england, can any one tell me if the cps requires 5 volts to get up and running or will it produce 5 volts also have you any resistance data for it

cyril

dksob81
09-21-2004, 10:47 PM
curil fox: iam having the same problem here in england, can any one tell me if the cps requires 5 volts to get up and running or will it produce 5 volts also have you any resistance data for it

depending on the year of ur jeep 95 and earlier- 8.0 volts. 96 and later 5.0 volts.

dksob81
09-21-2004, 10:50 PM
there is no resistance data. there is a test, if u would like instruction email me Joe, dksob81@hotmail.com

Add your comment to this topic!