Newbie Question!

life is viewtiful
09-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone!

From my previous thread, I have decided on a Eagle Talon TSi AWD, as anybody who's read it knows.

Now, this might sound really stupid, but please just stick with me.

I think I've found the right car, but I can be kind of suspicious of somethings, especially if they are going to affect me alot (such as buying a car).

So, how can you tell if the car is really all that the dealer/person says it is? Are there some kind of symbols that tell you that the car is AWD? Do I look on the engine?

This is the car I'm looking at(http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=169349520&dealer_id=44622280&car_year=1995&make=EAGLE&distance=100&max_price=7000&model=TALON&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=&certified=n&address=48104&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=46), and as you can see, it doesn't have much info on it, so I'm going to have to go there myself and look at it in person.

Oh, and also, how much mileage do you think is too much for this car?

Thanks a bunch in advance to everybody who posts! :smile:

kman10587
09-19-2004, 10:27 PM
I'd strongly suggest getting a 90-94 model. The 95-98 model (2nd gen.) is known to have considerably more problems, the most major one being crankwalk.

Rufe
09-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Just a couple of pointers to get you started...

All talons have front drive axles, AWD talons have rear drive axles too.
Obviously then, check the rear wheels to be sure.
If you do not know what it should look like, you should really have someone go with you to look at the car.

Be suspicious of any noises. (don't let them play the radio while you test drive it).

In a flat parking lot, at say 20, apply brakes, and let off the steering wheel. (do this carefully, you are looking for the car to stop straight).
If you have to correct the steering wheel much, find out why.

Go stop at your local library and check out a Consumers Guide to Car buying, you may find it helpful.

life is viewtiful
09-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks a bunch!

And also, I'm not so sure about the older models...I really like how the newer ones look. If the crankwalk does go bad or whatever, how much would it cost to fix it? And do you think an older eclipse would jsut be a better buy?

Once again, thanks to everybody! :D

kman10587
09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Older Eclipse would probably be a better buy, but I guess the newer ones aren't too bad either; amen to them being better looking. If crankwalk happens, you have to replace your engine, so yeah, it's really bad.

life is viewtiful
09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
If crankwalk happens, you have to replace your engine, so yeah, it's really bad.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow...

Just wondering though (I'm planning on avoiding this at all costs), how much would it cost to replace the engine?

kman10587
09-20-2004, 10:32 PM
You can probably get a nice 4G63 (the stock turbo engine) for around $2000, but then you have to pay for installation too (unless you can do the swap yourself).

life is viewtiful
09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Is this the right engine?

Mitsubishi Engine 4G63 2.0 Liter DOHC 90-94 Turbo, Eclipse, Talon, Laser $1600.00

(even though it says 90-94?)

And do you know if this site is reliable?

http://www.importengines.com/

It sounds like the engines here are used, so is that the usual case? Is there a site you recommend?

Once again, thanks so much!

kman10587
09-22-2004, 06:45 PM
That's the right engine, dunno about the reliability of the site. I'd suggest posting under the Mitsubishi Eclipse section, they can definitely help you ouy.

life is viewtiful
09-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Once again, thanks! :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!