Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Gull Wing Doors!?

pimpin4profits
02-11-2002, 10:11 PM
Does anybody know anyplace that has kits to put 45 degree gull wing doors on your car? thanks

YogsVR4
02-12-2002, 02:57 PM
I've heard of a few places (besides shops for Deloreans). What kind of car did you want to do this too?

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

pimpin4profits
02-12-2002, 09:12 PM
i thought that it would be pretty tight on a 4th gen camaro or firebird...i see very few cars with gullwings and would like to do something differant if i were to get a 4th gen f-body. thanks

bluetwo
02-13-2002, 11:35 AM
beetlewing (like lambos) would be more practical (you wouldn't have problems opening the door with a car right next to you)

pimpin4profits
02-13-2002, 10:03 PM
yeah i actually like the looks of those better....anybody know of any place that sells kits for them? thanks

DMC12
02-25-2002, 12:40 PM
You will be more successful in finding a place or person that does it custom. All these Hondas you see at shows with altered doors... the owners did it themselves. Expect to $pend...

jeff_m_911
05-19-2002, 09:36 AM
can anybody post the basic "how to" for those types of doors. :confused:

boosted331
05-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jeff_m_911
can anybody post the basic "how to" for those types of doors. :confused:

If you want gull-wing doors, expect to pay ATLEAST 10 grand for them. They're not cheap. You have to have a hydraulic system that pushes the doors out about 4-7 inches away from the car to clear the frame of the door, and then lift it upwards.

So the answer is no, nobody makes kits for them. They're too expensive and too inpractical.

BerettaGTZ1990
09-09-2002, 01:49 PM
MAN THAT SUX I REALLY WANTED TO BUY A GULLWING KIT FOR MY CAR DAMN WELL ILL HALF TO PAY THE CRAZY $ I GUESS IF I WANT TO GET THEM IN THE FUTURE.

Filip
09-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Actually I just did a write up on this yesterday. Go to my page and click on the "doors" section. It's not completely finished yet but it should get you started.

In short:
If you want to do the scissor doors, like bluetwo suggested, the bottom-rear corner of the door will catch on the beam behind it. You need to pop out the door and then rotate up. IMO gullwing doors are harder because they use a part of the roof.

Anyway, all of this is explained on the page as well as sources for hinges and a way to pick struts. There's a guy who's offering a kit for $1600 that will "work on any car". Since all you need is some hinges and struts, IMO he is overcharging by about a grand (at the least). DMC12 is right tho, if you go to a shop they will charge you at least 2k. There's one place in cali that charges that much and they're booked for the year.

My page should help but let me know if you have some questions.

-Filip

Edit:
I just looked at the pic of your doors. it *might* be possible without having to pop them out. Certain hinges lunge the fender side of the door forward as well as rotate them up. Your doors seem to have rounded corners at the bottom.

Add your comment to this topic!