Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Dodge D100 Flooding/Stalling Problem

BamaDodgenMX
09-19-2004, 12:33 AM
I have a problem with my 1988 Dodge Ram D100 that no mechanic can seem to fix. The truck is 4x2, with a recently rebuilt 3.9L V6, auto, fuel injected. Whenever it's 'idling' or deccelerating to a stop, it loads up (floods) and tries its hardest to quit on me. Taken it to two Dodge dealers and a local mechanic/auto electrician, and none can even find the problem. On my own, I've decided to replace the throttle body, O2 sensor, map sensor, actual computer box, and fuel pump.None of those has done the trick. My last resort and idea as of right now is the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Is this even remotely possibly my problem?Any and all other suggestions are extremely welcome as I've about decided to give up and sell this truck, whether I've become attached to it or not.

BleedDodge
09-19-2004, 02:18 AM
You say rebuilt; do you mean you bought it with a rebuilt motor in it, or you just rebuilt it and the problem started?

BamaDodgenMX
09-19-2004, 08:05 PM
I bought the Dodge, and then had a Jasper dealer installed a Jasper-rebuilt 3.9 V6 for me.

BamaDodgenMX
09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Also, FYI, problem was ocurring before and has been since the new engine was installed.

BamaDodgenMX
09-23-2004, 05:53 PM
*UPDATE* I just installed a new Mopar Vehicle Speed Sensor, to no avail. Same problems, tries its hardest to quit and stall when slowing/stopping, and blows black smoke and gas out the tailpipes. Help!

praisethelowered
09-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Have you checked spark? Sounds like you're getting plenty of fuel, but it's not igniting. Perhaps your timing is off, or you're getting weak spark. Also, be aware that a rich mixture such as you have is bound to clog your cat if not fixed.

BamaDodgenMX
09-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Yep, sparks been checked, and even after that my local Dodge dealer went ahead and put on new wires/plugs. Don't think that the timings off, had that checked.. but I have a nasty feeling that some of this stuff might not have been checked like I was told so I'm gonna go over it myself. As for the cat.. Ha, what cat? This Feb. I had true duals w/out cats and with turbo mufflers installed.

BamaDodgenMX
10-01-2004, 11:00 PM
*Another Update~ Went back and checked timing, spark, etc. and all are fine. Still clueless on this problem, and I really don't want to sell this truck but I'm about to that point. Any help appreciated

Dman2003
10-02-2004, 08:41 PM
have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?

BamaDodgenMX
10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Fuel pressure's been checked, along with the pump assembly replaced. Is that what you're talking about? What about the TPS, I've heard that as a possibility, just don't know about it being blown on two separate throttle bodies.

BamaDodgenMX
10-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Truck started doing another of its symptoms today.. Lunges forward whenever it feels the urge. This happens especially when movin slow at low rpm's. Still in need of any help that y'all can give.

momma_of_a_marine
10-08-2004, 06:14 AM
i had it too i took mine in had the injectors cleaned was told if you run ethenal (?) like i do that its just like pouring glue into your tank,they added B44 to the tank,charged me 250.00....could have done it myself for 25.or 30 bucks..everyone told me fuel pump yadda yadda like they've told you i know i was about to take a hammer to mine :-) try it it can't hurt ya know good luck

Add your comment to this topic!