Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight problem

jsa
09-18-2004, 06:40 PM
I just tried to replace the headlight bulbs in my explorer and the headlamp on the drivers side only works when the brights are turned on. When lights are switched on (with the brights off) only one light turns on. Does anyone know what this could be?

thanks

Nsparky
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM
Check your new bulb and make sure one of the filaments isn't broken. When installing halogens, don't touch the bulb because any excess oil from your fingers can cause the bulb to overheat and damage it. If the bulb has no visual defects, try it in the side that works to rule out bad bulb. If you know for sure the bulb is good it may be a wiring issue.

DBREEZE4
10-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I had the same problem, service center wanted $200 but it is a simple fix. The low beam headlamps have a conrol assembly located inside vehicle near the message center. Once I replaced that part which cost only about $60 lights work perfect.

Go to your local ford dealer get part # F77Z-10K910-AA (Cntrl Asy IND). Inside your vehicle remove the coverings for the message center, they just snap in and out, remove the one that holds the cup holder first and then the one with the message display. Once removed, to the right where the astray would be you see a little box with a bright orange label, that is the part you need to replace. You only need to remove two phillips head screws and then the part snaps right off from the wireing. Very simple, it only took about 10 minutes.

mindrover
11-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I had the same problem and found the answer in a forum. There is
an electronic relay box just under the ash tray under the center console on the right side. It develops "cold" solder joints over time and the conncetion is lost. I found it in another forum and was sceptical until I
pounded on the side of the console just to the right of the ash tray and my headlight came back on. I removed the box and resoldered all of the pins and have not had any problems for months now.
I hope this helps.

mindrover

Add your comment to this topic!