Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

240 hp d15b is it possible

daishion
09-18-2004, 03:05 PM
I was in another thread and "goofycustomz" said he built a d15b up to 240 hp at the wheels. goofycustomz if you are for real let me know how you did it as I am very interested. I am trying to upgrade my engine I was going to put a b18c5. Does anybody know if this is possible? Any sugestion as to what a nice engine upgrade would be.

CivicSpoon
09-18-2004, 03:31 PM
If you go turbo it's possible, but definently not all motor. That guy is either full of sh*t or just a troll, but either way it's not true.

daishion
09-18-2004, 03:40 PM
What kind of turbo setup would you need to do this. How much would it run you and is it popular or even worth it. Would you recomend just upgrading to a new engine?

CivicSpoon
09-18-2004, 04:55 PM
I'd probably recommend swaping to a new motor. But even with the new motor you'd have to build it up and probably run turbo to see 240hp out of it. Even with the type R you'd have to build it up to get that much, comes stock with 200hp, and that's 200 at the crack and not at the wheels. But the price would depend on what turbo kit you buy (everyone has different opinions on what kit is the best) and how much you spend on internals and tuning (not to mention paying a machine shop to put the internals in). By no means is getting to 240hp going to be cheap no matter what way you go.

daishion
09-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Thanks mate. What is the best price to hp ratio. Would it be exhaust or a computer chip pulley wheels intake?

jojodanca
09-19-2004, 08:05 AM
you will get more horse power from a turbo or supercharger then allmotor but if you turn the boost up to high you will be replacing the internals its really all in what you want

BeEfCaKe
09-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks mate. What is the best price to hp ratio. Would it be exhaust or a computer chip pulley wheels intake?

Nitrous..

CivicSpoon
09-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Nitrous..
True. Although I don't really recommend it if you don't know how to use it properly (plus I personally don't like it but that's just my opinion.)
Exhaust, intake, header, pulleys will only give you a few hp; if you're real luck you could see 10 (real lucky). And most of the chips are a waste of $ and won't do anything other than make your car run very rich (killing gas mileage) unless you have other engine mods to use it with; like i/h/e, cams, etc.

BLU CIVIC
09-19-2004, 11:40 AM
there's a guy on turbod16.com makin 500bhp with his d16...so 240whp is possible...it ain't gonna be cheap by no means

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Dont even think about it. ITs not cheap like Blu Civic said. Not worth it.

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 12:42 PM
Even with the type R you'd have to build it up to get that much.

Oh it'll be REALLY close! High compression turbo set ups packs up major hp.This guy went to this school call UTI back where i used to live in Chicago. Well anyways he has stock turbo type r motor in his 94 civic coupe put'n out 231whp! He told me its not even tuned! I told him he better get that done right away if he wants his motor to last. He was actually on his way to the shop to get it tuned. Still thats crazy numbers!

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 01:31 PM
True. Although I don't really recommend it if you don't know how to use it properly (plus I personally don't like it but that's just my opinion.)
Exhaust, intake, header, pulleys will only give you a few hp; if you're real luck you could see 10 (real lucky). And most of the chips are a waste of $ and won't do anything other than make your car run very rich (killing gas mileage) unless you have other engine mods to use it with; like i/h/e, cams, etc.

completel exaust, intake, headers, and pulleys will run you a good 20-25 hp easy...pulleys alon will add 5 at the wheels...and im not pulling my numbers out of no where or from company advertiedments, ive seen it on a dyno with my own eyes...headers are considered by mant gearheads to be largest bang for the buck...then catback exaust then intake then pulleys....the chips in no way make your car run richer, they make it run leaner...leaner=more HP...this is wwhy you have to be carefull when running a chip and intake/exaust/headers because intake/exaust/headers will lean your car out a bit by alowing more airflow then if the chip leans it way out knocking can occur...ive see nthat happen iwth my own eyes also...most 4cylenders today are capable of 200-220hp on stock internals....250-300 with aftermarket internals....and thats N/A...with forced induction and/or tuned for pure racing as much as 500 or more....but production blocks with more than 300hp are often extremely unstable so i wouldnt reccoment it... ;-)

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 01:38 PM
the chips in no way make your car run richer, they make it run leaner

Mugen chip makes it run richer.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 01:43 PM
well then whoever designed that chip was smoking crack or never even learned a piston from a valve...lol

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Mugen are one of the best tuners for hondas. SO i doubt they smoke crack.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 01:48 PM
lmao...well if they think running a stock engine rich is going to make more power they are...

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 01:50 PM
They dont recommend running with stock engine. Ppl just do that on there own stupid reasons to put in on stock engine thinkin it'll make a difference. Which it does but eliminating the speed gov'r. They do help out alot when have basic bolt ons and upgraded cams.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 01:56 PM
^^take it to someone who makes their living off of tuneing your car for ECU upgrades to match bolt ons, thats what i always say...

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I dont know where you tryin to get at but i've experiance with it and i've actually seen them gain 11.7 hp more over the stock ecu with those mods i just mentioned.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 05:03 PM
basic boltons and upgraded cams will bring the HP numbers up 20-30hp with jsut bolt ons and depending on how radical your cam is 10-40hp with stock ECU...ECU tuners can add anoth good 15-20 HP make your engine run smoother and have better MPG....than thoes mods with stock ECU.....

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Are you talkin about chipped ecu?

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 05:15 PM
mmmhmmmm :iceslolan

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Well either way you're only spending 150 -200 on a chipped ecu. Which is good considering that'll it add power. When i said i've seen a chipped ecu add 11.7 hp over the stock ...that was untuned! So i'm sure if its tuned right it'll add 13-18 hp over stock ecu. A guy that i've met said he had a skunk2 chipped on his type r that added 16 hp tuned. So they do work but buying hondata and other engine management systems is much better of course but its expensive and not needed on a car thats not highly modified.

jcrx
09-19-2004, 05:36 PM
completel exaust, intake, headers, and pulleys will run you a good 20-25 hp easy...pulleys alon will add 5 at the wheels...and im not pulling my numbers out of no where or from company advertiedments, ive seen it on a dyno with my own eyes...
OMFG, I have only been back for about twenty minutes, and I already want to pee in your Cheerios 20-25hp? Easy? Hahaha, in a controlled enviroment maybe, but your average joe tuner isn't seeing anything like that. And NO pullies do not add 5hp to the wheels, they might see 1-2. After all other mods are done, then maybe, if you have to have that last ounce of hp then they aren't a complete waste of money.

headers are considered by mant gearheads to be largest bang for the buck...then catback exaust then intake then pulleys. I believe turbos, superchargers, cams, headwork, boring, and stroking would all come before pullies in the mod food chain.

...the chips in no way make your car run richer, they make it run leaner...leaner=more HP...this is wwhy you have to be carefull when running a chip
Well, on the contrary, most chips are designed with the idea of having more air introduced into the motor and do indeed add more fuel to the point that when you are not heavily modded you WILL run rich.

To the original poster, the guy that wrote that crap is retarded. Yes you can make a N/A D series hit around 240-250 (ask Bisi), but it is HIGHLY unstreetable, and will require some serious work.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 05:57 PM
OMFG, I have only been back for about twenty minutes, and I already want to pee in your Cheerios 20-25hp? Easy? Hahaha, in a controlled enviroment maybe, but your average joe tuner isn't seeing anything like that. And NO pullies do not add 5hp to the wheels, they might see 1-2. After all other mods are done, then maybe, if you have to have that last ounce of hp then they aren't a complete waste of money.
I believe turbos, superchargers, cams, headwork, boring, and stroking would all come before pullies in the mod food chain.
Well, on the contrary, most chips are designed with the idea of having more air introduced into the motor and do indeed add more fuel to the point that when you are not heavily modded you WILL run rich.
To the original poster, the guy that wrote that crap is retarded. Yes you can make a N/A D series hit around 240-250 (ask Bisi), but it is HIGHLY unstreetable, and will require some serious work.

ROTFLMAO....headers alone will add 10-15...when i say "best bang for buck" i mean basic bolt ons...turbos, superchargers, and cams are NOT Basic bolt ons but are boltons...headwork, porting/polishing, and stroking requires taking the entire engine out of the vehicle and completely desmantleing it down to the block...i see you have never had to do such a tedious time consumeing project....pulleys make more HP by slowing assesories down, and since a good set of pulleys with proper ratio's will add about 9HP at the crank and most cars have about a 10-20% power loss through the drivetrain yes actually about 6-7HP at the wheels should be seen.... tuners such as "superchip" tuners are designed to make HP and fule economy improvements on stock everything...the only way to do this is to increase timing or lean the engine out...so yes most mass produced chip programers are made to lean the engine out....and it isnt as hard ot hit 240 NA as you make it out to be....mild track/street cams, intake, full exaust, headers, heads, ignition swap, and a proper tuneing will make a D series make it into the 200's...swap out the stock internals and you are easily into the 240-250 range...and the engine is still streetable....just a little higher maintanence... your never going to be able to add any decent ammount of power and keep the engine just as streetable as perfectly stock...

jcrx
09-19-2004, 06:17 PM
ROTFLMAO....headers alone will add 10-15...when i say "best bang for buck" i mean basic bolt ons...turbos, superchargers, and cams are NOT Basic bolt ons but are boltons...headwork, porting/polishing, and stroking requires taking the entire engine out of the vehicle and completely desmantleing it down to the block
I was saying that pullies are at the bottom of the list when it comes to mods, best bang for you buck or not.

...i see you have never had to do such a tedious time consumeing project....
I see by your ignorant post that you have never popped the hood of a car even to change the oil, much less build an engine.

pulleys make more HP but slowing assesories down,
A prime example of you talking out of your ass, about shit you have no clue about. Pullies lighten rotating mass, there by letting the engine use less power to drive asscessories.

and since a good set of pulleys wiht proper ratio's will add about 9HP atteh crank and most cars have about a 10-20% power loss through the drivetrain yes actually about 6-7HP at the wheels should be seen....
Pullies don't have shit to do with drive train loss moron, drive train loss is experianced at, un let's see, hmmm... the drivetrain ie; transmission, axles, pretty much everything after the clutch.

tuners such as "superchip" tuners are designed tomake HP and fule economy improvements on stock everything...the only way to do this is to increase timing or lean the engine out...so yes most mass produced chip programers are made to lean the engine out...

If only you knew how ass backwards you are about this, it would make you shoot yourself

..and it isnt as hard ot hit 24NA as you make it out to be....mild track/street cams, intake, full exaust, headers, heads, ignition swap, and a proper tuneing will make a D series make it into the 200's...swap out the stock internals and you are easily into the 240-250 range...and the engine is still streetable....just a little higher maintanence... your never going ot be able to add any decent ammount of power and keep the engine just as streetable as perfectly stock...but it is possible....
Um, you are without a doubt one of the elite gimps in the Honda world, and that's no small feat mind you. For one thing few people have made over 200 N/A on a B16A and had it retain reliability, and sorry to burst your tiny bubble, but there is a fucking whole lot more to making a D series 200+ N/A and streetable, a WHOLE LOT MORE. Get a job, save some money, and buy a fucking clue.

Here's a link to Import Reviews 1.6 motor dyno page, find me some of those easy bolt on 200+ hp motors. http://www.importreview.com/d_1.6.html

That's jusy a very few, now if you could, post up some real dyno sheets of these 200+ streetable D series motors you're yaking about.

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 06:48 PM
I was saying that pullies are at the bottom of the list when it comes to mods, best bang for you buck or not.

I see by your ignorant post that you have never popped the hood of a car even to change the oil, much less build an engine.

A prime example of you talking out of your ass, about shit you have no clue about. Pullies lighten rotating mass, there by letting the engine use less power to drive asscessories.

Pullies don't have shit to do with drive train loss moron, drive train loss is experianced at, un let's see, hmmm... the drivetrain ie; transmission, axles, pretty much everything after the clutch.

If only you knew how ass backwards you are about this, it would make you shoot yourself

Um, you are without a doubt one of the elite gimps in the Honda world, and that's no small feat mind you. For one thing few people have made over 200 N/A on a B16A and had it retain reliability, and sorry to burst your tiny bubble, but there is a fucking whole lot more to making a D series 200+ N/A and streetable, a WHOLE LOT MORE. Get a job, save some money, and buy a fucking clue.

Here's a link to Import Reviews 1.6 motor dyno page, find me some of those easy bolt on 200+ hp motors. http://www.importreview.com/d_1.6.html

That's jusy a very few, now if you could, post up some real dyno sheets of these 200+ streetable D series motors you're yaking about.

lets see where shall i start....i was talking about basic boltons...the conversation was in no way about major modifications...yo uwhere the one that added all the major modifications in....for you informaiton i have built up a 350, a B18a, a 13B, and an SR20DET....since, after all, i do work at a performance mod shop and have friends who drive (list of cars worth listing) '95 204sx w/ SR20DET, '96 RX-7 w/ 13B, '89 CRX w/ b18, and a mudboging '87 silverado W/ 350....as for your statement about pulleys you ovbiously have no idea how anything assesory related works...yes they are lighter to free up parsitic HP...there are two types of pulleys...under drive and over drive....over drive was a retarded idea that speeds up assesories makes them work harder at lower RPM's and can damage assesories and hurts your power, underdrive slow your assesories down so they arent working as hard and therefore are creating less resistance...there for free up horsepower....if you add 9HP at the crank it doesnt travel directly to the wheels...friction from hears and all always slows all HP down by a certian percentage...so if you add 10HP atthe crank it wont be 10HP at the wheels it will be about 7.5HP at the wheels with a 25% drivetrain power percent loss...another example (to help you understand something you obviously dont) if you have a 100HP engine at the crank post flywheel and a 20% overall drivetrain power loss you will see 80HP at the wheels....if you think making an already factory fat engine run even richer will make more power you need to go take automechanics in highschool agian or something...if and negine is running fat all adding more fuel will do is create more afterburn, kill your gas mileage, and mill your catalytic converter.... 14.7:1 is the perfect ratio but will often cause detonation with lower octane fuel in most engines...so 12-14 is the most common OEM ratio.....oh and go back and reread...i made some corrections after my first post... :-P

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 06:50 PM
and it isnt as hard ot hit 240 NA as you make it out to be....mild track/street cams, intake, full exaust, headers, heads, ignition swap, and a proper tuneing will make a D series make it into the 200's...swap out the stock internals and you are easily into the 240-250 range.

OMG! I'll just pretend i never read that! :eek7: :disappoin

jcrx
09-19-2004, 06:50 PM
CBFryman, end yourself. Please?

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 06:52 PM
Exactly! What shop do you work at?! I hope your not ripping ppl off....

jcrx
09-19-2004, 06:53 PM
Exactly! What shop do you work at?! I hope your not ripping ppl off....
I'm guessing Little Shop of Horrors, but probably Spankies Super Duper Tuning World.

mellowboy
09-19-2004, 06:59 PM
LoL

CBFryman
09-19-2004, 07:50 PM
place called one stop, its local... im getting tired of working there though...ive applied for a job at the local machien/fabrication shop and the other shop loclaly that does performance mods called CarEX...if either gives me better pay (im only getting 6.25 an hour but for a teen that isnt bad) i will go there...i do enjoy working at one stop...they do everything from car stereo to paint to completel engine overhauls to pure barely streetable performance...im in the stereo department for the most part but i dabble in the paint department and i try to do work in the engine and suspension department as much as seth (my boss) will let me being under 18...but it jsut gets old because everyone wants the same stuff from us so itsl ike the same over and over...sometiems we gat a big project like a recent silverado 1500...airbags, paint, window tint, 2 JL w7 13.5's, mids and highs to keep up, vortec supercharger and new internals, exaust intake, headers, heads, cam, new seats and dash board...took us 3 weeks to completely finish it....i got to C-Notch the frame with the sawzaw....wish we had a plasma cutter.... :banghead:

CivicSpoon
09-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh it'll be REALLY close! High compression turbo set ups packs up major hp.This guy went to this school call UTI back where i used to live in Chicago. Well anyways he has stock turbo type r motor in his 94 civic coupe put'n out 231whp! He told me its not even tuned! I told him he better get that done right away if he wants his motor to last. He was actually on his way to the shop to get it tuned. Still thats crazy numbers!
Yeah I was too vague in my statement, I ment that just doing the motor swap alone wouldn't get that much power because he said earlier that he was considering that swap. But you're right, you don't need much boost on those high compression motors to put out some serious power.

CivicSpoon
09-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Wow been gone all day and I come back to all this, how nice.
CBFryman do everyone in your area a favor and let othe people work on motors, jsut stick with the car audio shit because clearly you don't know anything. You should give your boss this link and see how long he lets you continue working on anything other than audio.

CBFryman
09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
^^i am 2nd to top in car audio....i am still earining engines...i mean damn im only 15....

CivicSpoon
09-20-2004, 08:57 PM
^^i am 2nd to top in car audio....i am still earining engines...i mean damn im only 15....
then don't come on here pretending you know what you're talking about. there are enough people with know-how that will only make you look like a dumbass and prove you wrong.

SiGNAL748
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Mugen are one of the best tuners for hondas. SO i doubt they smoke crack.

I don't for a second doubt that the Mugen engineers smoke crack. They spend hours on end tinkering with tiny little bits of metal just to come up with an extra 1hp gain out of their given product. They give up sleep to go that extra mile for us.

Not to say that their products are bad because they smoke crack.

...must be some pretty damn good crack, i'd say :biggrin:

Kven
09-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Mugen is directly linked to Honda; the son of the founder of Honda is the president(and founder i think) of Mugen.

CivicSpoon
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Mugen is directly linked to Honda; the son of the founder of Honda is the president(and founder i think) of Mugen.
Yup. When a new model or generation car is going into production, Mugen gets a car to start making parts before the car is even sold to the public.

mellowboy
09-20-2004, 11:16 PM
i mean damn im only 15....

Well gee that explains all the immaturity :rolleyes:

SiGNAL748
09-20-2004, 11:23 PM
does he even drive yet?

mellowboy
09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Well hes only "15" so i guess not! All he had to do is come here to learn and ask questions.But no he just came here try'n to prove us wrong think'n he knows what hes talkin about even though he didn't make sense.

SiGNAL748
09-20-2004, 11:38 PM
All he had to do is come here to learn and ask questions.

Exactly. Thats how I started here. I've learned a lot since then. I never though i'd be the one to be answering other people's questions.

94accordVTEC
09-21-2004, 12:25 PM
pulleys alon will add 5 at the wheels

yeah okay, what are you going to tell us next...ricey stickers add 2 WHP :screwy:

CivicSpoon
09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
yeah okay, what are you going to tell us next...ricey stickers add 2 WHP :screwy:
Clearly they don't, but they do help with downforce if they're on the back of a car. Think about it, the wind has to go by the edges of the sticker and will push down on it at the top. So if you put enough of them on ther you don't even need a wing (but if you do make sure to get a cheese grater one). I'm going to have to try this out; Pep Boy's here I come...

CBFryman
09-21-2004, 04:47 PM
lol....sarcasum....americas greatest pasttime...

SiGNAL748
09-21-2004, 05:37 PM
you could at least spell it right.

"sarcasm"

Add your comment to this topic!