Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

service vehicle soon light - sputtering

anderpant1
09-17-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a 99 Grand Am SE2. My service vehicle soon light went on, stayed on, went off, blinked. I noticed the car started sputtering when I was in drive, and then it would be fine. Finally, the car wouldn't start...very close to starting, but the fuel didn't seem to be getting there. I took it in, they told me it was one of my fuel inectors. So I had it replaced. It started fine, but the service vehicle soon light was still on. A week later, it didn't start again, same thing. It was sputtering a little bit when I did get it started. They said more fuel injectors went bad. I got them replaced. Now, a month later, the light goes on and off, sometimes at startup, sometimes just while I am driving. I notice the car starting to be hard to start again. Any ideas?

anderpant1
09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
I took this car in and they said this is what is happening. The Intake Manifold gasket it leaking both oil and antifreeze onto the cam shaft sensor...this is the sensor that is making the service engine soon light go on. If i just replace this, the light will go back on since it is not the problem. At the same time, they say the fuel pressure regulator is leaking gas from the seal and it the regulator needs to be replaced. They said also to replace the spark plugs and wires, since they are corroding due to the leak....$1600 later it SHOULD be fixed. All of this stuff is original with the car...nothing has ever been replaced. Just replaced all 6 fuel injectors for $1100 last month. Is this right?

richtazz
09-22-2004, 12:41 PM
the intake gasket is a common problem on all GM 60 degree v-6's. Give it a tune up (new plugs and wires) and replace the intake gasket, and you should be good to go. the fuel pressure regulator is easy to change while the upper intake plenum is off, so replace it as well while you have it torn apart. I also suggest taking it to a reputable shop in your area, whomever you had do the injectors RAPED you, replacing the injectors is a 2-3 hour job max on a 3.1/3.4, and cost about $80ea. $1,100 is absolutely re-F**King-diculous to charge for that job, as is $1600 for the intake, regulator, tune-up.

anderpant1
09-22-2004, 02:06 PM
I initially had one fuel injector replaced, then went back and had the rest replaced on the second visit. They said the intake gasket itself would cost 845 and everything else added up after that to 1600 for this job. I'm going elsewhere to get another quote this afternoon for this...how much do you think it should cost for all the stuff they said needs to be replaced?

richtazz
09-22-2004, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $850 for the intake gasket, plugs, wires, and fuel regulator, parts and labor. there is no additional labor on the regulator while they have the upper plenum off, and the whole job should take less than 5 hours. At $70/hr, that would put labor at $350, and the parts are only about $400-$450 even at full list price. Since he already got you for $1100, and it didn't fix your car, I'd make him cut you a break on the labor this time around if you go back to the same shop.

anderpant1
09-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow...they said $865 JUST for the Intake Gasket. The last thing they said needs to be replaced in addition is the Camshaft sensor. Would that also make the price go up at all? They said that is $100 (w/out labor). Frankly, they are lying to me. If I let them do this job, I will make sure they give me a break on the labor. Thanks so much for the info. I will take it back to them and see what they do.

loco12348
10-04-2004, 07:20 PM
We just replaced one on a 98 grand am. The sensor cost $30 at Autozone

Add your comment to this topic!