Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'94 Ultra gas gauge dips up and down, up and down...

mojodojo2k
09-16-2004, 11:53 PM
I noticed when i bought my 1994 Buick PA Ultra 2 months ago that the fuel gauge pointer seems to move alot. Not really drastically, but i'll fill my tank till its full, and i'll drive 14 miles and the gas gauge pointer will be in between the "F" and just above the 3/4 mark. What the?? It seems to be off one or two clicks at all times. Does anyone else have this problem. ...and what's with the orange "low fuel" indicator on the dial. Good lord, it takes up the first 1/4 of the fuel gage. LOL...when i have a quarter tank left, i freak out because it's in the "orange zone"....kinda dumb in my book to have such a large warning. I've never had a car with such a wide caution strip on the dash gauge. Oh well, just wondering if anyone has the fuel "dip" problem that's all. :biggrin:

yogi_123rd
09-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Mojo, that problem is common to most GM cars. It has something to do with the sending unit in the tank. As you noticed, the needle will vary by 1/4 tank ususally to the low side. On my P.A., if I overfill the tank, it varies 1/4 tank to the HIGH side putting the needle way beyond max on the gauge. You should be aware of this as needles can fall off or jam making the gauge useless.

As for the orange strip on the dial, don't go by that. The low fuel indicator light will come on at about 1/8 on the scale and is more meaningfull.

mojodojo2k
09-17-2004, 07:11 PM
I just it was funny because i had a Chevy Caprice with a rock solid fuel indicator.
This is the only GM i've had other than vehicles with a digital fuel meter. Guess i should get used to it....Thanks for the reply!

Add your comment to this topic!