Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Stratus- odd times will turn over but not start

jaymack77
09-16-2004, 12:12 PM
I just bought this 98 Stratus from the Bailiff three weeks ago, and it has an odd problem. It has only happened three times, but when I get in it and go to start it up, it will just turn over forever and not fire. It seems like it is flooded or not getting gas. Then, if you wait half an hour, it will eventually fire up. Most of the other times, it fires up just fine. Somewhere on this forum, people were discussing the oxygen sensor as being the potential problem. Is that a potential? Even when the car is being initially started? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

ddhk
10-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I had the same problem. Have the sencores checked. They only cost 5.00.

BUCKYXJ
10-31-2004, 04:11 PM
what sensor?

Flystratus98
10-31-2004, 05:02 PM
If the injectors are clogged then your engine will crank but will not start.
also make sure the spark plugs and cables are in good shape. Injector #1 ison the left looking at the engine head on. let me know. GOOD LUCK!!

ddhk
11-04-2004, 08:08 PM
It is located in the engine compartment under the tubing that leads to the air filter. The box that the sencon is in is about 2by2 inchs. In my 98 the box it is black. There are 4 sencors, on the inside of the lid is what each sencor is for, one of the for is starting, two arefans and the other is back up lighting. Good luck.

scotts96neon
11-06-2004, 10:15 PM
jaymack77 , take out your #1 plug and smell it. if it smells like gas clean all your plugs. then resert them. when you crank your engine for a long period of time you push alot of fuel into the combustion chamber and flood your plugs. then make sure you are getting spark to all your plugs. if you want to check them you can rent a toll from auto zone called a spark tester (special tool #125) you should get a nice color blue sparking frequently. if not either your plug wires are defective or possibly your coil pack is defective. first check for spark then let me know what happens. remember when you install the st125 you put it at the end of the plug wire and to a good ground. you donot use the spark plug when testing. the tool will spark for you.

scotts96neon
11-06-2004, 10:19 PM
remember that to oxegen sensor is on your exhaust and doesn'y effect it not starting. its job is to read the flow of exhaust gases. what the hell are sencores?

ddhk
11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Sorry I spelled it wrong it is sensor. It is like a fuse. It is under the hood in my 98. When my car did the same kind of thing it was a sencor. We only found that out after spending a tone of money replacing the fuel pump, fuel filter, starter, alternator, and a complete tune up among other things.

BUCKYXJ
12-13-2004, 07:53 PM
can you give me some more info on these sencors or sensor things you speak of? your saying its under the air box tube in a 2" x2" black box? what do they themselves look like? color ect.

BUCKYXJ
12-15-2004, 07:16 AM
alright she is fixed finally it ended up being the sensors or relays that you guys are talking about I just switched them and it started right up.

bozso
01-03-2005, 03:18 AM
I have the same problem with my stratus like you had (sometimes it does not start, then half an hour later it does). can you pls tell me where have you found the sensors you have replaced in your car - (around the air filter)? (i have 96 stratus)

ddhk
01-03-2005, 07:24 AM
I have a 98 Stratus. The sencor box on my car is located under the hose that runs to the air filter. You have to take off that hose to get to the box that has the sensors. Good Luck.

jaymack77
01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
It is under the air ram, in a little black square box about 3" by3". I think it was the starter relay or the other one closest to the front of the car. It wasn't either of the fuses closest to the windshield. Just try to start the car. If it doesn't start, take the box lid off and hammer tap each relay. The car should start up then. Replace the relay from NAPA for about 10 bucks. Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!