Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

pcm or fuel pump?

sleepygene62
09-15-2004, 08:38 PM
i have a 95 ram, 318, a few weeks ago when i tried to start it there was no start, turned over fine but no fire, when i leave the key on you can hear the fuel pump relay and asd relay clicking very fast as well as the fuel pump trying to run intermitanly, in time with the clicking of the relays, after a minute or two the clicking gets slower until it stops, at that point the fuel pump runs fast and stops as it should, the truck starts a little hard at first, like its flooded, you have to step on the gas a bit to get it to start, once it clears out it runs great and starts up fine when its warm, i keep thinking its the pump, but just for the heck of it i rapped on the pcm and the clicking would stop and pump takes right off and sounds good, does the pcm tell the relays to come on? pcm bad or is the pump just confusing it, hanging up making the relays go nuts? help please! thanks looking foward swapping info with you guys. oh yea, forgot to tell you the relays are the first thing i checked, both good, i also changed the iac because of poor idle and it did cure the rough idle, one more question, how can you pinpoint a blown intake valley pan gasket? i rebuilt my boss's 96 ram 318 and sure enough it was blown but it ran fine, (short of the bottom end knock) you would think it would act like a major air leak, hard to spot without yanking intake off!

BleedDodge
09-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Sounds like the pcm yep. The fuel pump must work if the truck runs. Fuel pumps usually either work or don't work at all.

Add your comment to this topic!