Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

new probe owner, 1990 Probe LX, some problems

davidmorrisw
09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Hi all! I just recently purchased a 1990 Probe LX for next to nothing. I bought it with the knowledge it had some problems and for my first car I can't complain. So I have some general questions about the problems with the car that I've noticed. Please be kind I'm a real automotive newbie, computers are my thing not cars.

1) There is a creaking sound that is very noticeable when moving at very low speeds i.e. pulling out of a parking spot. Its most noticeable when turning the wheel. What could this be?

2) The system monitor tells me my Coolant is low yet when I look at the coolant tank its full. (the clear one) Do I have a leak? Am I looking in the wrong spot?

3) Sometimes the car jerks/stutters when shifting out of first into second.

4) The powerseat belts are stuck or locked into the down position causing me to have to use the emercency release to buckle up. Is there a switch that controls this? The previous owner didn't wear his seatbelt so I'm wondering if it was locked in this position cause it annoyed him or if it is actually stuck. (both passenger and driver side are like this.

Thanks all! :-)

NeonblueEclipse
09-19-2004, 11:57 PM
"2) The system monitor tells me my Coolant is low yet when I look at the coolant tank its full. (the clear one) Do I have a leak? Am I looking in the wrong spot?"

that would be the coolent sensor is damaged or bad, no worries, it does no harm really, just check your coolent once in a while

"3) Sometimes the car jerks/stutters when shifting out of first into second."

shifting too early ? give it a tad bit more gas when you shift, and give your car some injector cleaner, that will help overall anyways for engine maintence, oh and check the tranny oil ( thats a painful process somewhat but not really, just time comsuming )

90GTGirl
01-08-2005, 09:07 AM
4) The powerseat belts are stuck or locked into the down position causing me to have to use the emercency release to buckle up. Is there a switch that controls this? The previous owner didn't wear his seatbelt so I'm wondering if it was locked in this position cause it annoyed him or if it is actually stuck. (both passenger and driver side are like this.

Thanks all! :-)[/QUOTE]

http://www.recalldata.org/

There is a recall on the seatbelt rail, go to above site!!!

Add your comment to this topic!